• You cannot reply to this topic

MacDev Drone

#31 User is offline   Cant Aim 

• Irregulators Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Bacon

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

I got to squeeze off a few shots from Boomer's Drone on Saturday and the thing is absolutely amazing. The three round burst is spot on...makes you kind of feel sorry for who is on the receiving end.

I, personally, have shot an A-5 for several years. At $550, to be able to get this gun for $100-130 more than I paid for my A-5 (air-thru stock and barrel upgrade) means that I am going to definitely be buying one as soon as possible. The main reason I've shyed away from electro guns other than the hefty $1300 price tags is the fact that I would have no clue on how to take care of them. The Drone comes apart in mere seconds and doesn't explode springs and every other piece in the gun when doing so. You only have one piece to worry about!

I love the way it looks. I love the way it shoots. I love it's price. Simply, wow.

#32 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

View PostDigital Pirate, on Sep 22 2009, 12:53 AM, said:

View Postflyweightnate, on Sep 21 2009, 11:47 PM, said:

Crap. I saw the screws for the eye covers, and was sitting there really, really wishing they held those rails on. Can't say I'm a fan. And can't say I can find a comparable gun in the pricerange, with or without rails. That's like being told the PMR is comparable. Ewwwww...

I suppose I could chuck it in a lathe and spin the rails off it... Mwahahaha! Oh wait, tray. Facemilling operation it is! Or wait for the Clone to bring prices down on the Droid.

Or...you know....look for a used MD?

I've shot used exclusively for 4 years... let's just say I'm tired of dealing with other people's problems, however few and far between. My Cyborg had never been cleaned, my cockers... whoo, let's just not go there, my Phantoms had burred hammers and scratched bores due to sand, my Sterling had a broken cupseal, my first Illusion had a springing issue, my second had a burred valve, ...

Yeah, I wanna buy new. I'm contemplating face-milling a Drone.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#33 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Why not just buy a new Droid or Cyborg then? They're a couple hundred dollars more, but you save yourself the trouble. That and face-milling a Drone pretty much takes the Tactical Drone's uniqueness and flushes it.

#34 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

View PostDigital Pirate, on Sep 23 2009, 11:21 AM, said:

Why not just buy a new Droid or Cyborg then? They're a couple hundred dollars more, but you save yourself the trouble. That and face-milling a Drone pretty much takes the Tactical Drone's uniqueness and flushes it.

Yes, I'm going to 'flush' the uniqueness of a marker by milling it. I also am going to remove my ability to mount fake laser sights, infrared optics, and tactical lights, which we all know would have increased my range and improved my accuracy on an airball field, but in my quest for a less unique gun, I can make sacrifices. In fact, I'm seriously contemplating anodizing the finished product neon pink, because then it will shoot more BPSez and I'll get more bounces.

The Cyborg is freakin awesome. But it doesn't have any rails, so it's quite obviously not unique, and therefore should not even be considered.

Ok, so I'm yanking your chain a little.

Fact is, I love the Droid's 'numbers', but the design bothers me. The fact is, the Droid is more complex, therefore an inferior design. Superior performance, but inferior design. Life is decreased by a factor of 4 assuming similar tolerances and maintenance, due to the roughly doubled number of parts and roughly doubled number of wear surfaces. There's just too much going on for it to be a gun I can envision shooting FOREVER, and that's what I'm looking for, is an absolute tank I can shoot forever. So I don't want a Droid. Oh, and it's $975.

I love the Cyborg, but I can't afford one. It's $1200.

The Drone performs up to par, it's fast and accurate, the design appears to be incredibly reliable, ... why not? Oh, because of those goofy rails that make it look like an attempt at airsoft.

I want a plane-jane, simple, properly designed gun that doesn't have anything extraneous. Fire modes? I'll take semi and PSP, please, with variable caps from 10.5 to 15. Dwell? Fully adjustable, please, from 1 to 50ms, in increments of .5, please- I use those settings. Debounce? Please. Eye logic? On and off works great for me- have a switch on the frame, if you would. Anti-bolt stick? A well designed gun shouldn't need it, but sure, just in case I get a bad batch of lube. Body design? How about something cool- you know, something that follows the lines of the internals, doesn't have extraneous material, has no sharp corners or protrusions to catch paint, and is lightweight, with a good distance between hands. A low feedneck, a good regulator, and a purging ASA running a steel-braided line would be awesome, too. I don't even want a pillow bolt- just something with a nicely designed face that won't allow rollback, and won't impede airflow.

Why no funky 3-D milling? Why no amazingly cool tactical rails? Why no awesome OMFG mode on the board? Why can't I have a cool button to make my board talk to me? Oh, because those tiny little features comprise over a quarter of the cost of most guns, respective to their assemblies, and it's just not worth it. Look at the HK Legend versus the standard Legend. $300 difference because of some milling. Vice versus Protege. $200 difference, due to milling and a different board. Even the Quest versus the Raiders Quest, $300 for some milling. Would you pay $850 for a Drone if it had a laser integrated? No. Would I pay $400 for a Drone without rails? Most certainly.
Feedback.

#35 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Nate.. I don't know if I've said this before..

I love you.

#36 User is offline   Boomer14 

• Irregulators Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Durty Dan

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

There has been a lot of discussion here and on any of the other forums on the use of rails on the Drone. Many people resent the rails, and say they would buy it if it didn't have them. I'll give my $.02, as a player/user and not as a sponsored team member. I don't have any inside information or an agenda with this product other than I really like it and I believe it fills a niche in the paintball gun market.

I suspect that the reason they are not marketing the Drone without rails is specifically to NOT compete with the new Clone or the RX. I suspect that Macdev would rather have that player buy their flagship product, which I believe will be higher in price. Having milled the rails on the gun body keeps it off the tourny scene and in the woods where it is intended. The stock board doesn't even have any tourny ramping modes in it. Since Macdev does all their own milling, the cost to mill the rails on a CNC machine most likely is not prohibitive and does not substantially add to the cost. What adds to the cost is the expensive advertising to get it in the tournaments. Since I don't play those, and I really don't care what big name in paintball uses the same marker I do, I would rather not pay for that advertising and team support. Macdev makes great products, and the Drone simply blows away anything out there in its price range. I think the side rails are useless too, and the center ones are useless if the user does not want to use a q-loader or horizontal spring feed. I most likely will never mount anything on mine. On the other hand, I really don't mind that they are there. It is a quality marker, priced right, and an outstanding design.

I have 4 cases through mine now, and am really sold on it as a woods ball gun. I highly recommend it to any player that wants a simple, quality milled, high performance electro-pnueumatic paintball gun. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but if you don't want the rails, buy the Clone when it comes out, the Droid, or any other of the great spool valve guns out there. The Drone is what it is. :)

#37 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

Lo, love appreciated.

With regards to reasoning behind the rails... definitely smart. Definitely makes me a bit mad. Definitely adds to the cost.

Regarding just the machine time, it's probably an additional 30% of the machine time of the body to put those stupid fracking rails on there. If they went with a more 'high-speed' surface, completely plane-jane, it would shave $50/ gun.

I am disappointed that it has no tournament modes. PSP ramp is a really nice mode to have. Oh well, no Drone for me. At least, no remotely-stock Drone for me.
Feedback.

#38 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

Alrighty Nate. If you really must have tourney modes than how about the Cyborg RX's OLED board in the Drone?

Boomer is having one done for his personal Drone. I just found out that we can get more.

BAM. PSP. I have no idea how this is going to effect the select fire operation on the grip.

As for the rails...I want one without rails too. I understand. I will keep asking...keep pestering...dodge and weave with lightning quick jabs and digs.

#39 User is offline   Droop 

• Professional Noobsmith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Droopy Squirrel

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

boomer just told me on MCB he couldnt do it.... im sad now. he liezored
Droop

My Feedback Member of Garage Inc. Official Pump User #100 Automaggot #91
My Trigger SC Feed comma club member #6

So because I play scenarios, I won't buy a high-end unless it has rails at useless angles, and has a machine-gun shroud bolted on it?-Maduce

#40 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I got this information...mere moments prior to my post...Boomer does not know yet!

#41 User is offline   Boomer14 

• Irregulators Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

View PostKrazy8, on Oct 1 2009, 10:15 AM, said:

I got this information...mere moments prior to my post...Boomer does not know yet!

And here I thought I was going to have a one of a kind. ;)

Oh well, I'm not selfish. OLEDs for everyone! :dodgy:

I can see that the features and options on the Drone are really going to be a moving target. I guess that's what we get with a small company. Its not a bad thing.

This post has been edited by Boomer14: 01 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

#42 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

I just received one of these babies to try out...and I am COMPLETELY SOLD! I honestly don't think I have EVER enjoyed shooting a gun so much in my life! I have shot only 1 case through it...and never got past the 3 round burst (It's just sooo much fun) but there's nothing I don't like about it!

This is my first MacDev...if will NOT be my last!

#43 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

Krazy, come summertime when I'm less broke, we definitely need to talk.
Feedback.

#44 User is offline   Boomer14 

• Irregulators Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

View PostMOATI, on Oct 1 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

I just received one of these babies to try out...and I am COMPLETELY SOLD! I honestly don't think I have EVER enjoyed shooting a gun so much in my life! I have shot only 1 case through it...and never got past the 3 round burst (It's just sooo much fun) but there's nothing I don't like about it!

Congrats Mo, welcome to the Macdev family. If you ever need anything for it, you know where to find us.

I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of these in the northwest by next spring.

#45 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

View PostBoomer14, on Oct 2 2009, 06:22 AM, said:

View PostMOATI, on Oct 1 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

Congrats Mo, welcome to the Macdev family. If you ever need anything for it, you know where to find us.

I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of these in the northwest by next spring.

There's at least 3 other people here at Spec Ops that want them already and I haven't hit a game with it yet. We have a Big Game on the 10th at our private field and the Xtreme Combat Weekend in Mesquite the 16th thru the 18th. It wouldn't surprise me if we had to order 50+ after those 2 events!

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users