• This topic is locked

How did this weekend go???? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#61 User is offline   Splatter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SPLATTER68

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

That Drive-in picture is right here in Las Vegas, down the street from my house! Hahahahahaha!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
SpecOps Brigade #72314
Having an argument in online forums is like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded!

#62 User is offline   CTR 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

[/quote]I believe the team with the choice of field chose the field they wanted for that last game and had to wait for another game to end, which caused the whole ending in the dark.
[/quote]

Actually GTF had to play back to back so the final game wouldn't have started any sooner regardless of the field. And "dark" wasn't really the name for it :dodgy: It was interesting shooting at whatever LED flashed in front of you. I felt sorry for the refs wearing the indiglo watches....

#63 User is offline   Sean@Smartparts 

• Smart Parts - Director of Promotions and Public Relations
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sean@smartparts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

There was a captains meeting?? I musta have slept in....
http://smartcorps.smartparts.com
sscott@smartparts.com

Captain of Smart Corps Factory Team

#64 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

View PostSean@Smartparts, on Oct 19 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

There was a captains meeting?? I musta have slept in....

Heh, maybe you guys could sleep in a bit more... :)

Actually, it was great to finally meet you this weekend, since I have seen your name in various forums over the years.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#65 User is offline   Darrickws 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:55 AM

View PostLament, on Oct 17 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

The only real issues that I had were the limited fare of the BBQ, which was great in and of itself, and the fact that the final game for the Masters was pretty much played in the dark. Now this does not affect me, but for those that were playing it, it really is not that fair in my book.

Playing in the dark was very interesting....the only thing you could shoot at was the blinking lights from hoppers and guns. It was the rain that screwed everything up. The hour-late start for the day as well as the conditions led to the night game. Originally, the masters finals were to be on the recon field at the same time as the Elite. Due to the delays of the game, the Elite finals were playing out at the same time and the 2nd and 3rd Masters semi-finals.

Once I realized the Elite finals and the Masters Semi's ended at the same time, I asked Jason if the Masters Finals could be on the Ape field as well. Considering both the Elite finals and Master semi's ended at the same time, there was no delay in starting the Masters. As the 1st place team, we got choice of field, and we chose the Ape field, and GTF got choice of sides. I almost suggested a 40 min game with only 1 respawn per half, but we played the full 60.

Darrick
Forest Demons Masters

#66 User is offline   Toad152 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Failure to Flatline

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

Curtis...sour grapes a little yes I will be honest...

Here is why i might have some sour grapes. FTF was in third points standing at the end of all teams playing thier 4 games. Then a mistake on the card was changed for GTF to have a game go from -9 to 11 points. After so they were still 6 points behind FTF. Then they demanded thier score cards reviewed them all and found that a 10 point penalty had been awarded to thier team and should have been awarded to the other team, after this was fixed they moved from 4th to 3rd above FTF by 4 points. In 2 of our games FTF we had descrepancies one i checked in an objective with a field ref who told me that I wasn't allowed (I was commander). (And yes earlier in the day Third I i checked in an objective with a field ref on your field.) Thus after I was told i couldn't check the objective in with that ref I was headed back to my dead box and was shot by a member of Adrenaline A team. So I held the objective above my head and eventually it was taken by the player who shot me. When i told the head ref this I was told it doesn't matter you won the game by 20 points or so. My point is yes it did matter because those 10 points for that objective keep FTF in 3rd place. Also on another field in another game with riff raff they found the dirty bomb, opened it and when being shot at tossed it on the ground before we shot them all into thier dead box. Thus the objective should be dead. They did not keep it on them and they were all shot into their dead box. They burst out grabed the dirty bomb and placed it on their home flag. We shot them all into thier dead box again and i pulled the flag at 6:23 left in the game.(I keep a timer on me as commander.) When i pulled the flag i took off and one of the riff raff players told me i was dead he stayed on the field after he was shot out. The refs were clear on the other side of the flag not paying attention that he had even set the dirty bomb so he was calling us out not a ref. (I thought you had to tell a ref when passing off or using an objective)

So yes either of those games had we been awarded the 6 or 10 points we would still have been in 3rd place. So both refs telling me at the end of my games it doesn't matter you won, yes it does matter.

Also In the captains meeting and at the players meeting we were all told we were going to have a 4 team playoff so this should not have mattered. On sunday morning I was told there was a change and that it was a 3 team playoff so i went to the staff and was told no idiot you should have payed attention there is a 4 team playoff not a 3 team playoff. Then as we were getting ready for finals we were told we were moved to 4th not 3rd (the changes were made for GTF) and that now there is only going to be a 3 team playoff thanks for coming we know your getting screwed but hey thats just how things are we are running out of time. EXCUSE ME running out of time. During the playoff between 2nd and 3rd of masters there was an open field they moved the refs over to the finals for elite div. This could have been 1st and 4th. Then when the last game was being played between 1st and 2nd of masters there were 2 open fields so it would have not taken anymore time to play the game then between 3rd and 4th.

Next year we will play SPPL, but this is why i'm upset. That being said the reffing was far better than the last few years and thank you to Third I, Curtis and Crazy 8.(and EZ for head reffing in Tenn.) But this is why I said all refs should attending captains and player meetings so they know the rules and this won't happen to a future team. I think the whole reffing package thing and quiz is a great idea i took it in Tenn. but why was my team turned away at finals from getting qualified when we reffed in Tenn. and then the Black and Blue crew was allowed to play and ref. We just wanted to get our ref qualification and we had already reffed an event. We just need more consistancy in our league to make it work.

#67 Guest_PaleRider_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

View PostToad152, on Oct 20 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

Next year we will play SPPL, but this is why i'm upset. That being said the reffing was far better than the last few years and thank you to Third I, Curtis and Crazy 8.(and EZ for head reffing in Tenn.) But this is why I said all refs should attending captains and player meetings so they know the rules and this won't happen to a future team. I think the whole reffing package thing and quiz is a great idea i took it in Tenn. but why was my team turned away at finals from getting qualified when we reffed in Tenn. and then the Black and Blue crew was allowed to play and ref. We just wanted to get our ref qualification and we had already reffed an event. We just need more consistancy in our league to make it work.

Toad, Thank you for your explanation, I can see clearly now why you feel the way you do. I might feel much the same way had it happened to me.
We hope to make it better next year

#68 User is offline   ThirdI 

• Elite Weekend 2007 Sportsmanship Winner and 2008 Instructor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ThirdI

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure about B&BK being allowed to Ref. I know I would've raised a storm about that one if I had known. While I'm sorry that you were put in 4th by such a small margin and I understand your frustration about it, I hope you can understand that it will take a little longer to get this all sorted out. Remember, the Ref Certification program was only test-run at Finals. I feel it made a HUGE improvement to the reffing by getting everyone all on the same page but obviously, we've learned from that and there are some more things we need to add to the training, such as turning in objectives to ANY ref.

To any and all players, one of the best things you can do other than reffing an event you're not going to play at is, do everything you can to make sure that your team and OTHER teams have all read the rulebook repeatedly. It's frustrating enough to try and teach field refs the rulebook in a day or two. When teams haven't read the rulebook themselves and do things such as not keeping the objectives on them (saw that from a LOT of teams, not just one). If the teams don't care enough to study the rulebook themselves and be prepared for the game, it makes it hard for us refs to continue to care about enforcing those rules as much.

#69 User is offline   LCP_Timmy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:NASTYSTANG

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

So why is it a big deal that BBK reffed the finals...

#70 Guest_PaleRider_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:01 AM

View PostLCP_Timmy, on Oct 22 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

So why is it a big deal that BBK reffed the finals...

It wasn't a big deal, B&B stepped up and made the offer to ref a a few of the finals matches.
2-3 if my refs had to leave and I was going to be short handed for the semis and finals.
It was a great help to us and a real stand up thing they did for the SPPL.
As far as the ref certification, One of our head refs had to canceled at the last moment,
which then shifted all of his responsibility to me.
So instead of teaching classes and giving tests. I had focus on the fields. We had a bunch of rookie refs and a few
Veterans and just under 3 hours to get them ready.
We simply did not have the time to run a certification clinic. It was not an intentional snub to anyone.

Edit: I need to add that at the point they offered BBK was longer playing.

This post has been edited by PaleRider: 24 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

#71 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Personally, I think that it was great having BnBK helping out. They were very fair, from all that I saw, and did not show favoritism at all. They also bolstered a ref crew that had already gone through one full day of reffing, and I am sure that the other refs did not mind having a few other bodies that also had knowledge of the rules and the fields add to them. If anything, the one member of BnBK that had the leg injury, and had not been playing, but making his way around on crutches, showing that he could get in there and ref was a bit impressive in his dedication.

If there was favoritism between them and any other team, or the opposite, then please speak up. But if you simply did not feel comfortable about them helping out, then leave it that you were not comfortable.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#72 User is offline   Toad152 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Failure to Flatline

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

View PostLament, on Oct 23 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

Personally, I think that it was great having BnBK helping out. They were very fair, from all that I saw, and did not show favoritism at all. They also bolstered a ref crew that had already gone through one full day of reffing, and I am sure that the other refs did not mind having a few other bodies that also had knowledge of the rules and the fields add to them. If anything, the one member of BnBK that had the leg injury, and had not been playing, but making his way around on crutches, showing that he could get in there and ref was a bit impressive in his dedication.

If there was favoritism between them and any other team, or the opposite, then please speak up. But if you simply did not feel comfortable about them helping out, then leave it that you were not comfortable.

That is not what I said at all.... All I was saying is i wish that I was allowed to participate in the reffing clinic also. Because I had already reffed at the Tenn. qual. My team was told you were not allowed to play and ref at the same event and we were just trying to get qualified for next year. Nothing more nothing less.

#73 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

Yup.

However, to be clear, nobody was qualified. I ended up flying myself down and reffing in return for some barbecue.

That said.. it was dang good barbecue!

Lo

This post has been edited by Lomarandil: 24 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

#74 User is offline   MURPH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

HHHHMMMMMM..........bbq.
Posted Image

#75 User is offline   FFFreak2 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

View PostMURPH, on Oct 24 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

HHHHMMMMMM..........bbq.

Stop that! Both of you! Your making me hungry!
Team ForestFire
Home Field: ForestFire Paintball

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users