Special Ops Paintball: SpecOps Position - SDM Squad Designated Marksman - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SpecOps Position - SDM Squad Designated Marksman New SpecOps Position and rifle Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CMC 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Nerves

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hey guys, I've seen a lot of threads talking about a position that is somewhat a sniper, but other times its a rifleman. What about a Squad Designated Marksman? The Army started a new course on this almost 2 years ago. Basically, the SDM is a rifleman first, and has a secondary mission as a marksman. He isn't a sniper, but he is someone who can accurately hit targets farther than the average soldier. His weapon is an M-16 with a scope and bipod.

On my Tippmann, I have a red dot scope and tend to engage targets at long distances. I attempt to pin those tangos down while several of my team members maneuver around to flank or assault. Other times, I'm an assaulter and attack the enemy positions with the rest of the team.

This position offers flexibility and range that encompasses the various traits of the sniper, light rifleman, and possibly medium rifleman.

#2 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

Well, first of all there is no range in paintball. That being said, this position is good if you are using the word "sniper" in the paintball sense. A rifleman whose main goal is to use stealth to eliminate the enemy. In other words, Squad Designated Marksman is a fancy word for ghost flanker. He is a rifleman who is sent down the flanks to stealthy eliminate the opposition. It's super effective.

If you mean a rifleman whose overall job is to use stealth instead of just running tape, you are probably better off using a sniper because he is effective in using stealth and working alone (but still part of the team).

#3 User is offline   tubby ted 

• stick it to the man
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tubby ted

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

anyone can do that. its just a dagger or sabre with an accurate gun and sight.
"The speakers on the outside are a nice touch... soundtrack to the mayhem"-I.K.E
"Only someone too bloody stupid to tell the difference between a cat & a fish would ever join PETA anyway...." -The Stuntman
Music is like candy... You should always throw away the rappers
VIVA LA CHRISTMAS REVOLUTION!

#4 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

View Posttubby ted, on Sep 21 2007, 09:39 PM, said:

anyone can do that. its just a dagger or sabre with an accurate gun and sight.

Yes, everyone can do this. No, not everyone can do this effectively. Being effective in paintball is not easy, no matter how accurate your gun is or wether you have a scope or not.

Bottom line is:

If this position is meant as a dagger/sabre that uses range to his advantage (as in real sniper), that does not exist in paintball because all guns have the same range (other than Apex/Flatline equipped guns).

But if this position is meant as a dagger/sabre who uses stealth to his advantage (as in paintball sniper), then he is a ghost flanker. Very effective, very fun to play, very challenging; yeah, we rule. :(

#5 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

This position really is just the sniper in a paintball sense. The only real difference, as you note, is his secondary task. Not somebody who has a marker/weapon that can hit farther; just a person who's better at hitting at longer ranges with the same weapon.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#6 User is offline   The Scout 

• Penny for the gurney
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Scout

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

What I interpreted from this would be a guy with a Flatline or Apex and keeps the other teams heads down while his teammates move up, but thats kind of like a Broadsword...
Official Pump Owner #98
"Maybe God keeps us on earth, just like we have beef farms for cows. Then, when we die he eats us... I just freaked myself out. Be right back, I gotta go pray"-Kook

#7 User is offline   Broad-Sabre 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:N/A

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

Marksmen are the equivalent of paintball snipers already.

#8 User is offline   TOPHATBOB 

• Ghillie Suit, Tophat
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TOPHATBOB

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

I took it as a longballer who operates within a squad, to soften up the enemy before a firefight. That could be useful.
the best way to score "kills" in paintball: Shoot your opponent.

#9 User is offline   Satan Von Chaos 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Satan Von Chaos

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

I think these guys are right, the position you're suggesting is a combination of what is already out there. I guess that the biggest challenge to finding a new "position" is trying to develop something NEW with what SpecOps already established.
SATAN VON CHAOS

Oh yes, leave whatever soul you have left in the field man, I'll be collecting it along with your pride.

#10 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this "DM" position go up and then disappear into the abyss that is the back pages...
Next time you should use the search button, you're likely to find one of the "DM" threads or a scout thread or something that someone created to be sniperish but not be a sniper, because either they don't believe there are snipers in paintball or otherwise.

I'll tell you this: It doesn't matter what you play, as long as you play.

#11 User is offline   fastlearner 

• Are you Ready?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:fastlearner

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

Actually this sounds like a suggestion for a commendation more than a position. Which would be a good suggestion as the only commendation, to my knowledge, is "Elite" Status.

There are some people who are incredible shots with "non-flatline" barrels.
  • They know where the ball is in flight every foot from the barrel until it's absolute maximum range.
  • They can feed that ball through the brush and find that perfect arc to their target.
  • They can fire that shot from so far away that when someone is hiding behind a bunker the ball drops on their hopper and breaks.

View PostCMC, on Sep 21 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

Hey guys, I've seen a lot of threads talking about a position that is somewhat a sniper, but other times its a rifleman. What about a Squad Designated Marksman? The Army started a new course on this almost 2 years ago. Basically, the SDM is a rifleman first, and has a secondary mission as a marksman. He isn't a sniper, but he is someone who can accurately hit targets farther than the average soldier. His weapon is an M-16 with a scope and bipod.

On my Tippmann, I have a red dot scope and tend to engage targets at long distances. I attempt to pin those tangos down while several of my team members maneuver around to flank or assault. Other times, I'm an assaulter and attack the enemy positions with the rest of the team.

This position offers flexibility and range that encompasses the various traits of the sniper, light rifleman, and possibly medium rifleman.

Play Safe, Play Fair, Play hard

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." Teddy Roosevelt

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users