Special Ops Paintball: What to consider before suggesting a new position. - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to consider before suggesting a new position. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:56 AM

I highly doubt that this will curb the enthusiasm people show, and I certainly don't want to, but it may make them stop and rethink what they are about to post.

By far the most common suggestions are : Medic, Demolitions, Tank driver, and tank killer. Other common suggestions tend to be variations on current positions: Ultra light dagger, super heavy gunner and so on.

Before you suggest a new position you need to consider a few things. The current positions are set up in such a way that they can be used by a woodsballer or a scenario player. Your new position should have that same flexibility. I have yet to go to Saturday game with a bunch of newbies and come across a tank being used by each team.

Research. Use the Search feature and look for "New Position". I found 2 pages of threads. I didn't check them all but I'd bet most of them are duplicated concepts.

Next it needs to be logical. Suggestions like a commander/sniper cross aren't going to work no matter what you call it. Snipers need stealth, Commanders need to yell.

The gear load needs to be considered too. Does your position rely on a person carrying an exotic weapon such as a mortar or bazooka? If so then it's going to be scenario specific.

Strategic use. How exactly is the position supposed to work? When does it come into play? If the answer is only on Thursdays when it rains under a full moon then it's too specific and pretty useless. You should be able to play the position under most circumstances.

Search this forum and see what's been suggested. Sadly chances are yours has been done.

Got it? Ok, now look at what you're about to suggest. How does it now stack up?

Don't be discouraged if your suggestion is scenario specific, just make it clear that it is. We'd all like to see those 3 blank spots on the Brigade Page filled. Who knows what Spec Ops has in store for them?

For those that are commenting on someones suggestion: Be critical but don't be mean. Point out how it's too similar to a current position or how it's too specific to a certain situation. Help them flesh out the idea better.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#2 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop posting the overposted 'new positions' as ones that Special Ops should adopt (Medic, Engineer, Anti-Tank, Demolitions, Special Forces).

Trust me, people have been posting these since the forum was created. How many have been adopted? Zero, zip, nada, silch. Years and years of people posting '(My position!) should be created!' have gotten none of them up there!

This isn't Battlefield 2, people. You don't need to 'pick a class' for every time you play. Just grab a marker and go play!

#3 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:23 AM

Also please stop posting new positions after not reviewing the comments people just made regarding your "super new awesome never before heard of medic idea" if people tell you that its to specific and that it wont work for spec ops postions don't turn around and submit a "original idea: engineer" We all know you want to have your name on a new position that special ops comes up with but you need to find something that meets all the above criteria.

To be honest I think spec ops has done a very nice job of getting all of the general positions down, and its where they should be. Oh yeah, jobs that have any special powers that break the rules of a normal game are also a bad idea.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#4 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Schwimmy approves of this message.

But is still confused about what to put down his gaming days using a mortar as.

This post has been edited by Schwimmy: 07 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

#5 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Great post Puzuma!

If I may add something...

Please do not define yourself as the position you may play (or want to play). In the end, a paintball player is just that: a paintball player. No more threads about "How to make the ultimate Sabre Gun" or "Am I a Sabre". Please???

oh and P.S. -Please make SOME attempt at editing your posts for grammar and spelling! If we can't read it, we can't help you!!!

This post has been edited by euglow54: 07 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#6 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

While this effort is commendable in it's intent, proposing a logical solution to the illogical few is just another indication of our own insanity! :( Sorry, did I say that out loud? :( Darn these infernal voices...they're always telling me what to do! Be quiet now, I say! :( Now, you were saying? :(
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   FIX BAYONETS 

• The Twitch
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Twitch

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

Some people seriously just pass right over this thread...there's like 8 completely crazy (not the good type) and mostly repeated suggestions on positions!

I love Paintball.

#8 User is offline   GH Militia Man 

• You can't spell SLAUGHTER with out LAUGHTER
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jrd49456

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

Puzuma, you are a great man!

Fear the wrath of the Puzuma

#9 User is offline   Recon 11 

• "Wheaties: The Breakfast of Idiots."
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Recon 11

Post icon  Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

Waht about:
Grenadier
Recon
:question:

This post has been edited by Deleter: 06 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

#10 User is offline   Irish Dog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Irish Dog

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:47 PM

Puzuma, you mentioned that it is a bad idea to add a position that requires an exotic weapon. While I completely agree with the statement, it seems slightly hypocritical because SpecOps has one such position. The position of Heavy Gunner(Hammer) is almost defined by the Double Trouble and other such highly custom markers. You cant honestly tell me that is a versatile, non-specific position.

#11 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

A Double Trouble is universally useful and still somewhat differentiated from the Broadsword. I'll admit, I think it's silly, too, but a Double Trouble can still be used everywhere, unlike stuff like Medic, Tank Hunter and Engineer.

#12 User is offline   Irish Dog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

I agree that the marker is useful, and I would love to have one on my team. My point, however, is that the Double Trouble is a highly exotic weapon, and the Hammer position requires the DT or other suck high exotics. Pzuma had stated that suggested positions should not require exotics. I dont believe that a position should be defined by a weapon, while weapon choice is highly important, the defining characteristics of a position are technique. Yet the only real difference between Broadsword and Hammer is the weapon used.

#13 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

Thing is, a Double Trouble is legal on all fields. Special weapons like grenades, LAWs, paintthrowers, 'demolitions' and whatnot aren't always useful. A DT can do his job in basically any game, while the rest are only allowed for special games.

#14 User is offline   Irish Dog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

Again, all points I agree with, but still not valid points to justify the position by the original criteria. Whether it is legal at all fields or not does not determine whether or not it is an exotic. And also, the DT may not necessarily be legal at all fields, many fields will not allow more than one weapon(with the exception of a sidearm) per player on the field at one time. And the DT could certainly be considered two weapons, connected together or not, it is still TWO weapons.

#15 User is offline   God 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Demigod

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

I would like to see an armored position.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users