Special Ops Paintball: All You Runners, I Need Tips - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All You Runners, I Need Tips Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• You show me an inch, and I'll show you the deadbox.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:snipa trent

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

So on May 17th I'll be running a marathon called Beat the Bridge which is a 8k run supporting diabetes in Seattle, WA. It will be my first big run EVER and I need some tips for training. Has anyone else ran one and have some useful tips and training techniques? (if there's any, I'm new to this whole thing) Thanks

#2 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hydrate!

...and that's all I have to say about that

Start out with short runs and do more and more. Also, run every other day or 5 times a week..
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Learn to breath deep, drink w2ater, and be in control of yourself. keep your mind off running and just sort of go. hopefully you will experience a runner's high which is where your legs seriously feel like they could run forever. But make sure to only drink water, eat fruits and take your vitamins.
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#4 User is offline   SamSquanch 

• I kissed a girl & I liked it
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SamSquanch21

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Run at your own pace even if its a fast walk. If your planing on buying new shoes for the marathon, buy them NOW! and make sure they are broken in. use good technique don't run 'lazy' (hunched over, hands flopping around etc....)

#5 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

Arm movement is also good. It helps open up your lungs.

And don't get caught in a large group, it gets annoying when you can't move anywhere.
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#6 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

For training remember to mix it up, speed work outs some days long runs others, then slowly start to ease back as the run gets closer. Cut all soda out of your diet, it kills your endurance. And remember that you want to be well hydrated and rested.

When you're actually running remember to keep good form. No elbow movement, it's all in the shoulders, and keep your shoulders nice and relaxed. Cramped shoulders on a 5-6 mile run are horrible.

#7 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Some tips to prepare:
-Carb load, don't be afraid to eat some pasta, bread, things like that. Also eat more fruits, that helps you with stored energy as well.
-Drop all other fluids but water. Trust me, you won't regret it.
-Run daily, about a mile or two and work yourself up. If your really serious, mix up your workouts by doing speed workouts one day, endurance workouts another, ect. Always allow yourself a rest day though.

Tips right before the race:
-STRETCH DAMN YOU

Tips during the race:
-Run relaxed but straight. Don't slouch.
-You should not need to move your elbows. Backwards arm movement should put your hand about where your pocket would be. Forward arm movement should allow you to almost touch your chin with your thumb.
-Don't clench your fists, your arms will cramp up and you will regret it. I tend to run with me fingers slightly curled as if I were holding a cup or something, some runners tend to run with their fingers straight and some run with their fists almost closed but their thumb between their index and middle finger to keep from clenching. Find out what works best for you.
-Some people find that listening to music helps, I personally don't because it will distract me from keeping a steady pace. I tend to create a 4 beat metronome in my head that matches my footsteps and breathing somewhat (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4...ect,ect). Try that to take your mind off running if you need to.

Tips after the race:
-DO NOT SIT OR LAY DOWN. I promise you that you will regret it afterwards. Stay walk/standing, don't let the lactic acid have a chance to build up.
-Do a cool down jog (walk if you don't have the energy for a job) after wards of about 400 meters (one lap around a track) to work out the lactic acid and help prevent cramp/soreness.

I'm an ex-runner and used to do alot of it, ask anymore questions if need be.

This post has been edited by Ace-014: 03 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Official SpecOps FC

#8 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

I find that if I start eating healty (avoiding ALL foods and drinks heavy with sugar)about 2 weeks out, I perform way more effeciently. Also, I run with a ZUNE. Some days it helps, others it doesn't. All I can say is try running to music and see what it does for you.

#9 User is offline   ION KING 

• Bow down to the king!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tippmann A-5 player

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Ok first I'm not a runner in fact I should probably start running but thats for another day. Maybe you should buy a camelbak, holds a lot of water and some snacks if you want. I have one and I love it(litterally Its Gods gift to hikers)

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm
current WWII reenactment funds $260/ total gear NONE

#10 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

View PostION KING, on Apr 3 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

Ok first I'm not a runner in fact I should probably start running but thats for another day. Maybe you should buy a camelbak, holds a lot of water and some snacks if you want. I have one and I love it(litterally Its Gods gift to hikers)

This'd usually be a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend one for a race that's a little over 5 miles. It would slow you down and be more of a burden than help for that short of a distance.

Now for a marathon/half marathon maybe, depends whether you have de-hyrdration issues.
Official SpecOps FC

#11 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

For an 8k it would probably just be better to have someone there to give you a water bottle every now and then. An 8k is actually a pretty short race.

#12 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Most sanctioned runs like that have water tables set up every now and then on the route. Camelbak's can get kinda cumbersom when running. I've never worn mine while running.

#13 User is offline   SOLIDUS SNAKE 

• dislikes his own avvy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CORPORATE ASSASIN

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

View Postghost93, on Apr 4 2009, 01:00 PM, said:

For an 8k it would probably just be better to have someone there to give you a water bottle every now and then. An 8k is actually a pretty short race.

Yea, no need for a camleback. Its not that long of a run.
RAP 4, We Make All Those Terrible Products Nobody Asked For - C-3
My feedback

#14 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• You show me an inch, and I'll show you the deadbox.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipa trent

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

Wow I didn't think I'd get that many replies. Thanks a bunch you guys!! Someone recommended me a podcast called "Couch to 5K." Has anyone used this before and if so did it help at all?

#15 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

anything will help. The important thing is to do something.

which is a really, really obscure "important thing." I know. But that's the idea... cardio health is easy to build, easy to cross-train for, and easy to maintain. My tip is just to mix it up, to keep yourself from getting bored and cutting your training. Swim some if you can, run plenty -- not just on the treadmill, if you can help it -- play some sports, run with your paintball gear maybe.... whatever you can do to keep things interesting. The motivation factor is probably gonna be your biggest obstacle.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users