Special Ops Paintball: Your Sniper Mindset? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Sniper Mindset? How do you play your game? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

Poll: What is your mental approach to paintball sniping? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

With what kind of mindset do you approach playing the role of a paintball sniper?

1. Tactical Combatant (by the books/ working the angles approach) (21 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

2. Big Game Hunter (stalker/predator vs. prey) (39 votes [44.83%])

Percentage of vote: 44.83%

3. Survivor (desperate/lone wolf) (11 votes [12.64%])

Percentage of vote: 12.64%

4. Stormtrooper (executioner/ruthless) (3 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

5. Team Patriot (support/martyr) (5 votes [5.75%])

Percentage of vote: 5.75%

6. Other (please explain) (8 votes [9.20%])

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mercy

Post icon  Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

I suppose that most of you guys commenting are practicing paintball snipers? How do you view your position and role in the team? What mind set do you bring to the field before the game starts? I read earlier that some play other positions like dagger, hammer, sabre; what aspects of these roles do you bring into your game? So how about it? Do you take a tactical "by the books/work the angles" kinda game? Or do you stalk and hunt the opforce? Or maybe you've conceived your own way to play? Paintball is an individualist sport and people make and play the game their own distinctive way. SO how about you? Feel free to give examples. :question:
Jeremiah 29:11 "His promises fulfilled"

#2 User is offline   Elfonso 

• South Paw.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Thunderbyrd

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

To be honest, I never have really thought of the my mindset while I've planned sniper, but looking back on it, I do notice that my movements and thinking do change greatly from playing assault.

Naturally, I move quickly, but deliberately. When I do move, I move with a low profile. I never stand up-right. I'm wearing the ghillie, and when I'm not moving, I'm piling leaves on top of myself waiting to get just one kill... Things I probably won't do as playing any other role.

Anyways, if I were to summarize my mindset, it would be more of the "military" sense of the traditional sniper. The "nobody here but us trees" approach.

But I mostly play sniper in airsoft, where snipers really do have increased range and accuracy so maybe that affects my thinking as opposed to a paintball "sniper."

This post has been edited by Elfonso: 03 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

Paintballer AND Airsofter

98% of forum members have a stupid, far-fetched statistic like this in their sig. If you're in the 2% that don't, post this in your sig.

#3 User is offline   DarkeWolf 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:D4RK3W0LF

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

For the most part, I play a "Lone Wolf" style, but I also have a "spotter" with me, so its like... "Lone Wolf with a Buddy"

Yeah, I know. Not really "Lone Wolf" but its "Lone Wolf" enough for me.

My spotter's my girlfriend, and has a BT Delta Elite, so if the poop hits the fan, she can cover my tail as I scamper out of there.

I just gotta get her a ghillie now too :3

#4 User is offline   Dunceb4ll 

• Let's go play with Dynamite!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dunceball

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Picked other
Me and my wingman swing out to the side and go as far up as possible without being seen and then take them out as soon as they get in range. So Dual ruthless executioners?
THE END IS COMING!!!! AND IT WILL BE UNTIL IT GETS HERE!!!!!!
CAUTION IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY IT IS ADVISABLE TO KEEP DUNCEB4LL AWAY FROM FIRE AND FLAMES.
Feedback

#5 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostDunceb4ll, on Feb 3 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

Picked other
Me and my wingman swing out to the side and go as far up as possible without being seen and then take them out as soon as they get in range. So Dual ruthless executioners?

yeah that works lol

#6 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

SO i see lots of guys voting but not many expounding.

Personally I play with the Big Game Hunter mindset. I don't know why but it's just something that's always come natural. Maybe it had to do with growing up with a bunch of brothers but stalking "prey" has always been the name of my game. Getting inside their heads, letting them chase you, figuring out how they think, their patterns, allowing them to feel totally secure stalking you, and then that sudden realization that they're actually the ones being hunted and its way to late to run, and then *splat* it's over.....yeah it must have been because of my little brothers LOL. :P

#7 User is offline   ghilliewarrior 

• Team Sniper/Commander
  • Pip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

View PostDarkeWolf, on Feb 3 2009, 12:39 PM, said:

For the most part, I play a "Lone Wolf" style, but I also have a "spotter" with me, so its like... "Lone Wolf with a Buddy"

Yeah, I know. Not really "Lone Wolf" but its "Lone Wolf" enough for me.

My spotter's my girlfriend, and has a BT Delta Elite, so if the poop hits the fan, she can cover my tail as I scamper out of there.

I just gotta get her a ghillie now too :3

Ok thats awesome haha I wish my girlfriend would paintball with me. But yea, I am more of a lone wolf with my ghillie suit. Ive studied paintball tactics for a long time now and Ive got it down. I also bring a spotter with me just incase i come across a force of 5 or more. Never get into a firefight by yourself as a sniper, you'll lose. (I speak from experience). Spotters are a huge help when times get tough. :laugh:

#8 User is offline   GoArmy117 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

When I snipe, my mind kind of slips into a Stalker vs. Prey mindset. It is just so gratifying to know that you can stalk someone well enough that they don't notice you.
ambulere
latere
amovere

#9 User is offline   The Elder 

• Sharpshooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phantom-Sniper

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

I agree with GoArmy117. The whole point of playing sniper is to take your opponent from a concealed position. If your a good hunter this position will come natural to you. While playing sniper is my favorite position, I look at it as an opportunity rather than a full position because if your cover is blown you will get eliminated if you don't change your playing stile. The better you get the longer the position can last.

#10 User is offline   Dusty Dee 

• aka DIRT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:DustyDee

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

I try to pull aspects of my game from all of the above when the situation requires it. But when situations don't dictate otherwise, I am the predator vs prey type of player. I love the thrill of the hunt. I love to be able to sneak around a flank and make an elimination from the blind side. One of those shots where they turn around after they get hit and have no idea where the shot came from.
Dirt
That's pronounced Dirte

98 Custom
J&J Ceramic 14" barrel
collapsible stock

#11 User is offline   Schnappi 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Schnappi

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

when i go out there i dont use just one mindset. i use them all. first i find out where the action is and what the objectives are. then i decide on where im probably most needed and work from there. if im needed for support i help out with that, if im needed to get to and objective i do that, pretty much i stay flexable.
my favorite thing to do is to travel with a group for a while, then drop off the group and flank or sneak up to a certain area then work from there. i usually flank deep into the enemies area and try to take out as many as possible befor i turn tail and run. it makes it really great when they follow u into an ambush or a fire squad that u have covering your flank.

#12 User is offline   Scouting Sniper 

• Sniper
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:emerald.kontact

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I like flanking. Take as much ground as possible off the break, and do it stealthily. Get behind enemy lines, and then pick them off from the back. I mostly play Outlaw, but the last few I have played at/organized had about... 50 people at them, so it was easy to get around/not be missed. If I am needed I hang back and work the edges, looking for the right time to get behind that annoying guy who has the reflexes of a Jedi.

With a smaller game I work the angles, when I played speed ball last summer my friend and I did some very good leap-frogging. I know it isn't exactly "Sniping" but it is also speed ball, so I work with what I got. Most people have already noticed this, but if you send one shot at the face peeping out from the wooden spool, the will duck back. Move up so they don't know where you are, and *splat*
Christian 'Baller

If you are under 16 and pay for your own gear, put this in your signature.

Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio

#13 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

I hunt. I'm definitely a flanking ambushing sniper guy, who pushes up the weak side of the field. Then, when I'm about a hundred feet behind enemy lines, I radio my boys holding our line. They push the enemy back, right into my grateful barrel.

#14 User is offline   DeAdLy RuSsIaN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SILENTDEATHAWAITS

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

View PostMercy of Spades, on Feb 9 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

SO i see lots of guys voting but not many expounding.

Personally I play with the Big Game Hunter mindset. I don't know why but it's just something that's always come natural. Maybe it had to do with growing up with a bunch of brothers but stalking "prey" has always been the name of my game. Getting inside their heads, letting them chase you, figuring out how they think, their patterns, allowing them to feel totally secure stalking you, and then that sudden realization that they're actually the ones being hunted and its way to late to run, and then *splat* it's over.....yeah it must have been because of my little brothers LOL. :(

Lol its like a trap in chess :). Personally, I usually like to take a similar approach. Get into the person's head, predict and manipulate their next move, draw them in, and then game over for them. Wow that sounds almost sadistic B). I am the oldest in my family and just like you, these skills were developed through preactice on my siblings LOL

#15 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

:P I'm definitely a hunter/stalker. I've been hunting/stalking animals for years and so I naturally resort to that in Woodsball, too. I'm all about the silent and invisible approach; and not too bad at it, either... I even performed such a maneuver with a pink Spyder and a black tee shirt one day after work when I didn't have my gear with me... :ghillie: :D
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users