Special Ops Paintball: Rec-ball - woodsball field rules - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rec-ball - woodsball field rules RULES (and radicals)THAT IRRITATE YOU MOST Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#61 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostEskimo, on 03 May 2011 - 02:02 PM, said:

mad dev - Funny you say that you dont like fields putting the chronograph away due to "people shooting it"

People SERIOUSLY unload on them! our field has been through 4... FOUR Big Reds because of people going to town on it thinking its a Target.
Those damn things cost 300$

I will leave the chrono out to players when they stop destroying it.

There are idiots, its a shame.I would have someone keeping an eye out or surveilance cameras some idiot would be paying.

#62 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

View Postger, on 03 May 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

Seriously? I have never seen one shot. What kind of putz would shoot those things? You must have a bunch of window-lickers at your field. Maybe you need to hang more pie plates for them to shoot at... or a sign stating they will be hung up as targets themselves if they are seen using the chrono as target practice.

View Postchasbronson, on 01 May 2011 - 12:18 AM, said:

The last few posts reminded me of something that bugs me about players.
Games should not be a babysitting session....

You're right, refs are not babysitters, but they are adultsitters - that's exactly what refs in every sport are tasked w/. Their jobs are to enforce the safety & game rules of the field, regardless of whether the players are policing themselves or not. Yes, many times players themselves need to take it down a notch & not go nuts just because they shot a guy in his pod pack but he didn't call himself out - chances are he didn't know he was hit. But if a guy is consistently getting shot where he should be able to feel it but not going out a ref needs to be "legalistic" & pull the guy. Like you wrote, that one guy can ruin the whole atmosphere.

No, that situation is not legalistic that is a ref doing what he should.I have seen people not call themselves out knowing they were hit,and the ref (knowing) the "cheater is about to be owned allow it to play out in short time,
getting hit generously this time to make sure.As long as its not abusive the refs grace allows the cheater to be taught a lesson.

#63 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 04 May 2011 - 01:41 AM, said:

It really bothers me when woods ball fields have rules that aren't exactly the rules that I make up on the spot.

Outlaw wins :P

Thats why our field reserves the right to change the rules to deal with you guy's who like to change the rules.

#64 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

View PostMike68, on 05 May 2011 - 03:12 AM, said:

I just hate it when refs make people pick teams before games, because it always goes something like this:

Noobs pick friends, so that they can be together.

Agglets pick other agglets, because they realize that the more electros they can pack onto their team, the more they're going to wipe the floor with the noobs.

I stand back, unpicked. The agglets don't want me because I'm rocking a pump, and the noobs don't trust in my skill because I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I either end up with the agg kiddies, desperately trying to get shots on the noobs off before my compatriots put down their lanes of paint, or I end up on the noob team--and desperately fight a losing battle with scared, hiding teammates against ten agglets with Egos :dry:

Would you pick me? I'd pick me so hard.

That,s usually only the first game till the newbies know the old fat balding guys that got picked last handed everyone else their rearends the last game.Then their "friendships" get real shallow real quick.Refs have to try and pick good team captains,and remedy any severe imbalances.No ref likes to have to take the heat for picking bad teams.Its better to let that rap on the players.I have seen though some teams that I honestly thought were going to get beaten bad turn around and handily beat the "what I'd thought was the better team.The refs should see everyone wins some.

#65 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

View PostFear the Reaper, on 05 May 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

As someone who picks the teams at my field... It is just hard to do. Some guys get all bent out of shape if their team is bad.

I used to have everyone draw checkers. Red and black teams were easy then. But, as more guys bring friends or their kids they want to play together. Lately I have been just telling guys to divide in half, one team here, other team there.

And usually I don't have to make too many changes. I always try and join the "weaker" team in my opinion. (how are you going to get better if you play on the strong side all the time?)

Besides, there is nothing better than teaching a bunch of new players how to use strategy and teamwork to beat a more advanced group of players.

If it is way overmatched (has happened when we had 11 new players show up together and they all wanted to be on the same team. I just kept pulling the guys that captured the flag over to their team until they started winning!

The goal should be that everyone gets the chance to win. It would stink to go and play all day and never win because one side was so much better than the other side...

Most of our games end up being tied before the last game, which breaks the tie and gives one side bragging rights.

Those friendships start getting shallow after getting whipped a couple times.Then, the pick up new teams option brings more equalized teams

#66 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostMike68, on 05 May 2011 - 03:12 AM, said:

I just hate it when refs make people pick teams before games, because it always goes something like this:

Noobs pick friends, so that they can be together.

Agglets pick other agglets, because they realize that the more electros they can pack onto their team, the more they're going to wipe the floor with the noobs.

I stand back, unpicked. The agglets don't want me because I'm rocking a pump, and the noobs don't trust in my skill because I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I either end up with the agg kiddies, desperately trying to get shots on the noobs off before my compatriots put down their lanes of paint, or I end up on the noob team--and desperately fight a losing battle with scared, hiding teammates against ten agglets with Egos :dry:

Would you pick me? I'd pick me so hard.

As someone who refs, it makes my job a BILLION times easier, letting people pick their own teams. Its a much better choice then dealing with kids bitching because they're not with their friends.

If the teams are really that uneven, speak up to the ref and tell them, i can almost guarantee that he will switch up the teams for you. If he does nothing. well then thats just a bad ref.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#67 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

usually here is what I say at the start of the day:

"To those of you in groups larger then 4, There is a VERY good chance that you will be facing your friend today. take a look at your friend beside you. you can finish the argument of whos a better paintball today."

basically I split up the big groups evenly into two sides, then if I have a pair of 2 and two singles I can try and keep pairs as is.

I also add or swap players on each team for balance issues, The hardest part is making sure each team has a equal number of players who rush forward.

I'v gotten a few "my buddies on that team!" To which the reply almost 90% of the time is, Yea.. I'v got 10 renters on each team and your the only two owners. i'f I put you on the same team these games would be over in 1 minute. and ten people on your team still wont have left the start.

but through the day I can even the teams more as people play. Usually the first game of the day is a unbalanced one due to me just doing a random 50/50 split in players and then adjusting as the day goes on

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 06 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

#68 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

OK,you and your buddy want on the same team?OK, Its you and your buddy against everyone else.Thats how I answer that.

#69 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Many days I'd be happy to play with anyone (if no other owners showed)...and I offer to play 1 or 2 vs 5, 10, 18... nobody ever takes it, pump or not :( lol

Seriously though, our field just picks from wristbands - odds here, evens there - adjust teams after.
Owners decide their own teams.

#70 User is offline   MadMaverick 

• The Pumpinator!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SCP Pump Chumps

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Im going to throw a few more things out there:

On this Picking teams thing... I took a short trip in the way back machine, and remembered that Back when paintball was nearly new, we didn't "pick teams" more than once usually. At least at the NSG fields i went too. you got there on time or you had to wait to play, teams were divided up before any game play and people who came together played together, as much as possible. but here's the weird thing:
You played on the same "Team" all day long!
You actually got to know the people you were playing with a bit, you had a chance to develop strategy, and learn to work together, and had to do this fast if you wanted to win. also by being a bit more formatted, game turnaround was faster, everyone broke for lunch at the same time. I don't think we ever got in less than 8 games in a normal day, and that was 5 acre plus fields with 20 on 20 minimum usually. some of the best teams from the 90's started playing under this format in the 80's... but we seemed to have forgotten it completely.

Of course if the teams were really unbalanced corrections would be made, but that could be figured out by the second game usually. regular "teams" (players who routinely played together ) either only played against other regulars and were not a part of the bigger group, or we're split up so there was an equal mix of walk ons and regulars,or a bit of both, but never were the walk ons simply set up as targets for the regulars.

We've also made the game availability so casual, i think its hurting us all around. ill be the first to admit, I'm in no hurry to show up at a field any any preset time. But, if everyone had to be there by say 10am, and this was a known expectation(and it would be advantageous for me to be there on time), you suddenly have allot more people ready to play, bigger games, more fun, than people just showing up a little at a time through out the day (resulting in fewer and smaller games,) which appears to be the norm , at least at the fields I've played at in the south east. I think a more rigid schedule would be very helpful to all involved. (you also have parents with plann'able days and a better idea of when to pick up little johnny.)

example:
0900: arrival, registration, game prep
0930: Orientation (if you miss orientation you will not be permitted to play until field staff has time to catch you up, you may miss several games <wink, wink>) and have some one dramatic and entertaining do the orientation, it should be memorable and fun! "no punji sticks, no playing Tarzan and climbing trees, please do not dig spider holes or have your velocity turned so far up it leaves exit wounds, our field speed is ..."- you get the idea..
0945: Team picks by field staff using field sign up roster (that has age, experience info,): alpha team- john from middle towns group of three, rich from park shore group of two.... beta team- Olympic pools group of six, Etc..
1000: game on (refs assess team balance and how to adjust if needed) set game durations, decided by field based on site specifics. maybe two games back to back, then 10 min breaks (remind players to drink water, fill tanks, get paint, buy that grenade at the pro shop, etc.) , then another set of back to back...
1200- 1230 lunch
1245 game on...
etc...

this way everyone knows when the next game is, maybe even who their playing, if they have time to run to the restroom, get air, and so on. every day is a mini tourney (even with woods ball), with end of day "winners" if you keep score..(we used to even get prizes for the days most winning team!) could even use a white board for the brackets to keep track of which teams played who plays next etc.. but fun, not so serious that it gets ridiculous, save that for the real event days.

too much? spit it into two session, am and pm.... Or, just do it this way on you busiest day, makes things manageable, and make the other weekend day the casual play day, whatever.. just ideas here, most of which are things we were doing in the 80's as sop's.

anyone need a field or marketing manager?? I'm open at the moment... just kidding, sort of :)

This post has been edited by MadMaverick: 07 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Maverick
Paintin People since 1985, are YOU next?
http://www.stockclasspaintball.com/
SCP On Facebook

#71 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

Too many Whiners,too few players available these days.Seems like you have to cater more to the crowd to keep them playing.You again have some good usable points. Where did you pick up that "way back machine".I could use one of those myself.

#72 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 06 May 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

Many days I'd be happy to play with anyone (if no other owners showed)...and I offer to play 1 or 2 vs 5, 10, 18... nobody ever takes it, pump or not :( lol

Seriously though, our field just picks from wristbands - odds here, evens there - adjust teams after.
Owners decide their own teams.

Our Jargon is different down here in Pa.Forgive me for being dumb,but what is your definition of "owners"?Iam not sure what you mean.How does the "wrist bands,odd,even, work?

#73 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

By owners I'd hazard a guess and say he means equipment wise (personal gear and what not). By the wristbands, I'm also going to hazard a guess that this is there way of telling who should (and should not) be there, and are numbered to the rental equipment.

Chas, where are you at in P.A? I'm over by the Scranton area, always looking to meet fellow players.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#74 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 05 May 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostShipwreck!, on 04 May 2011 - 02:41 AM, said:

It really bothers me when woods ball fields have rules that aren't exactly the rules that I make up on the spot.

Outlaw wins :P

I agree. Cheaper, and do what you want. Play with your friends. The only downside is sometimes finding a place can be difficult (at least it is in Kansas).

It is fun to play on commercial fields sometimes. Last time I went, we had about 50-75 players. All the reg'lars teamed up and all us nobodies were together. But that's ok. Those dumbdonkey speedball boys spent all day trying to win by firepower/laning that they totally disregarded intelligent strategy. We MOPPED them.

Wayyy cheaper! No access fee, no $70 fpo, no noobs on your team shooting you in the back of your head from 10ft away because they were trying to shoot past you, no cheaters beeing douchey... unless of course you invited them in which case, you can't complain. I haven't had any trouble finding outlaw fields, there's a couple right in my town. It's SoCal and there's a lot of semi-wildernessy places that are right next to developed areas, so I think it's probably easy in general to find spots around here. However my favorite spot is some abandoned buildings in a county flood controll district, the people who work there don't care if you tresspass and paintballs, but it does get annoying to go on a long hike to find a hole in a fence with all the gear. And there is a constant fear that for some dumb reason someday the county will crackdown and it won't be possible to play there... *sigh*

As soon as I get rich I'm going to buy the joint and keep it as my personal paintball spot!

That's awesome! I'd prefer outlaw anyday, but I do need to go check out a couple of the official fields, because it would be fun to play with larger numbers sometimes...

View Postchasbronson, on 05 May 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

Thats why our field reserves the right to change the rules to deal with you guy's who like to change the rules.

Yeah but you can't completely change the rules evertime a different group that wants to play a different way shows up... therefore for the most part, although not always, OUTLAW!
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#75 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

We played outlaw too,and actually had more players then.We got tired of running for air,running for parts,running for paint.Paying top $ for parts,etc.Thats when we started our field.Now we run for parts, run for paint,and C02.We have a compressor setup.We have hundreds of manhours in bunkers ,small pro shop,etc. Sometimes I think we should go back.We charge $40-45 for case of paint $15 field fee.We do change some playing rules according to popular consensus of the groups playing ,but never compromise on the safety and mandatory rules.We are a small ,but nice woods-recball field.At those prices,honestly we are making nothing.Its a hobby,do it for the fun of the sport kind of thing.Seriously,I believe if things continue as,is in paintball,the sport is going to go back to mostly "outlaw".The fields will not have the "financial incentive "to continue to be in business.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users