• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

choice ?? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ghostBear 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hi guys i would like to float question your way and its a question between guns .
so iam brand new to pump play i have been given a pump pgp pistol now i havent got it yet because the guy who ownes it is on my team and hes just doing a rebiuld on so once i play with that a few times and see if i like it. I plan on buying a bigger gun now, by bigger i mean eather between phantom or a houndstooth now iam kinda torn between the 2 because ones a more easyer on the pocket book, and i would want the houndstooth in black and that seams to be the kicker for it because like 100bucks for power coat is alot so... i dont know i wouldent want to get it no painted brass and put a shoty paint job on it.
but the phantom comes black right outa the box but donno when I think about it that way, i guess maybe i boils down to witch one is better over all ?? custom machined vs factory and over all i think i will like stock class in the end so i boils down to witch gun would serve me better? and on a side note i wouldent just play stock class i would have bulk air and a hopper for big games and such and when i feel lazy and dont wanna run all day lol.....

ghost
[font=Arial Black] [i] [size=3]They Shall Know No Fear

#2 User is offline   CB-AARON 

• Yes, I like to pump...is there a problem?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CB-AARON

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

In all reality CCI is just as "custom" built. It's a one man operation, mike does everything. It really just boils down to what you want and what you are willing to spend your money on. I've owned several variations of both, and both have strengths and weaknesses over the other, and I did love them both. BTW I do believe a zinc plating (which is still black) is cheaper then the PC.
Aaron C.
A part of the 1st place Elite division SPPL team, Almost Famous
A proud Co-Captian of Team Natural Selection, and The Camo Bandits Scenario Team.
Sponsored by: Maddman, Stiffi, Tippmann, JT, Warsensor, and Underground Mod Shop
Whored Guns: 40 and counting

Buy My Dust Silver CCM S6 w/ Carbon Fiber Parts!

#3 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

The phantom is cheaper to make interchangable betweeen different setups (SC, gravity feed, etc), adding that option to a houndstooth costs a lot.

Be aware though, the phantom is pretty freaking light gun, if you like a bit of weight on your marker, it might not be for you.

Don't forget teh new PPS Pyre, Sniper IIs, and carters... The carters are a little pricier than even the houndstooth, but I think the convertible feed option might be cheaper... so take a look at them. Minicomps are lighter, like phantoms, as they have aluminum bodies, but the buzzards and comps are stainless steel, so they will have some heft. The mini-buzzard, I am not sure of the weight on.

Sniper IIs are pretty common, lots of people are converting their old autocockers back to pump, it might be easy to find one of those and see how you like the feel of it. Personally, I don't like Pyres/Houndstooths/Snipers, they're all stacked tube and too tall, I like the nelson design, like the phantom, though I did LOVE my pgp, I think you'll have fun with it.

So see if you can try before you buy, and have fun shopping around :wacko:

#4 User is offline   ghostBear 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

In all reality CCI is just as "custom" built. It's a one man operation, mike does everything. It really just boils down to what you want and what you are willing to spend your money on. I've owned several variations of both, and both have strengths and weaknesses over the other, and I did love them both. BTW I do believe a zinc plating (which is still black) is cheaper then the PC.

so what would be the strengths and weaknesses between the 2

Be aware though, the phantom is pretty freaking light gun, if you like a bit of weight on your marker, it might not be for you.

iam a big boy no worries there lol thanks for the advice

#5 User is offline   foster 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

In all honesty, despite being a "sheridan guy", I cant think of a better pump for anyone to start with than a CCI Phantom.

VSC with 11" barrel, the M98 of the SC world.

My hand decided that the time was nigh
And for a moment it slipped from view
When it returned, it fairly burned with
Confidence anew… -N.C.

#6 User is offline   barnz 

• I'm in your fridge, eating your food...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:barnz

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

Being a phantom guy through and through, I am going to say phantom.

Also, I do not believe that the color of the marker should give away your position, unless you are sitting in a bush. The way I play, I am always moving, so the enemy would catch the movement before they see the shiny gun. So don't be worried about the color of the marker and base your choice off of that. Just my opinion.

Your best bet would be to try each of the guns out, and see which one you like the most. If you fall in love with the accuracy, reliability, light-weight, customizability (not a word, I know) and pure joy of playing with a phantom like I did, you should buy one. I have never played with a Houndstooth, so I do not know how well it handles, but it comes from Palmers so I would not be surprised if it rivals the phantom in performance.

#7 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

With good paint, I have seen equal accuracy with a PPS barrel and a CCI barrel, with crap paint, the .690 PPS barrel was better...

I love phantoms, but I can respect others loving PPS or CCM

#8 User is offline   ghostBear 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

wow i personly think iam gunna end up with the phantom just for the price range i donno still got lots of time to think thow but u guys ar great help. thow i do love the way how no one has put down eather gun

#9 User is offline   Paintsoldier 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out there, you are also going to have more stock (like shoulder stock) options, with a phantom. Even with the m16 grips on the phantom you can get a bottom line and/or a T/L stock.
a.k.a. old_school_player (techpb), paintsoldier (MCB), paintsoldier8 (PbN)

#10 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

Well, just to play devils advocate...

I personally own both a Phantom and a Houndstooth. They're both excellent markers. If you like the black look but don't' want to dish out extra money for a powder coat a popular choice is to get the bare brass and let it tarnish. Personally I think the aged brass look in person has a nicer look than black. It has a very subdued look, but there's a luminous glow coming from underneath that adds a little flare. You don't have to wait years for that look either, a little apple cider vinegar speeds it right up. There are also other chemicals that can give it different tints depending on what you are going for. There was a KP3 for sale on MCB awhile back that had just an amazing brass finish to it, I'll see if I can find a picture

The nice thing that initially strikes about Sheridan based markers such as the Houndstooth is comfort. Everything from the way they balance, to their comfy grips makes them extremely desirable to hold. The bolt being in the back of the marker rather than in the middle makes it more stable when pumping allowing you to be a little more stable in keeping your marker on target. While Sheridans overall tend to be less air efficient, with Palmer's markers they do just as well as most Phantoms. Most can get around 40 shots on a 12 gram. If you're one for sighting down the marker the bead sight and under-the-barrel pump handle makes Palmers markers a little easier in my opinion.

While the Houndstooth/Super Stocker/Pug lineup isn't quite as modifiable you can still change some things around. Changing form constant air to a 12 gram is just as simple as on a Phantom. You can't quite swap bodies from DF to stock class you can smply get a stocker tube and put it on a direct feed. Likewise if you get one built with a stock feed you can get attachments that lead up to a hopper. They kind of make up for a lack of modification in that they are custom built however you want one.

This post has been edited by Piller: 17 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#11 User is offline   The Desacrator 

• You called down the thunder. Now reap the whirlwind.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Desacrator

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

Just a quick question ralted to Phantoms, can you hold the trigger and keep pumping and the gun will keep firing? or do you have to pump, pull the trigger, pump, pull?

Pura Vida My Feedback +8/-0 My Sale "Pump players for the most part I mean they're kind of disturbed
individuals from what I can tell. These are the kind of people that go hunting with a spear." - Mike Philips

#12 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

View PostThe Desacrator, on Mar 18 2008, 12:54 AM, said:

Just a quick question ralted to Phantoms, can you hold the trigger and keep pumping and the gun will keep firing? or do you have to pump, pull the trigger, pump, pull?

nope phantoms have an Auto Trigger built in, as they are a nelson and like 90+% of nelsons come stock with it. So yeah, just pump and hold down the trigger. Though personally, i am not a fan of AT's.

Carter keys his sears and hammers so that it won't auto trigger, you have to pay him extra to get it to be auto triggerable. Even though AT is inherint in the design, you have to machine it to not auto trigger.
As to what do you want.... like aqua said, pick up some on a field and try em out. Try before you buy. Only way to know for sure that you like what you are getting. I thought i'd love a phantom, love it. Everyone told me how great they were. I got it, used it a handful of times and stopped. It was too light for me. I felt like i was going to break it. I need markers with heft. So now i rock brass markers and carters. Much heavier. Much better feel to ME. You may like markers light and a phantom may be perfect for you. Try before you buy.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#13 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

For you, the Phantom is the best choice. A PPS marker is more of a seasoned player/collector/investment marker.

However, you should look into the new Sterling markers and the Grey Ghosts. They are comparable in cost and most feel they are better.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#14 User is offline   stolz 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STOLZ

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

cant go wrong with sheridan, my primary pump that i use is a pmi1, with a performance tune and a cut out/dropout for the 12grams. If you really like that pgp I would look into a pmi1

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users