• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Motorcycle Discussion Thread

#1 Guest_Buckwheat_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

So here's a go at something, I figure I might as well give it a try. Since there does seem to be a lot of members who are into motorcycles on this forum, why not have a discussion thread for it?

So have at it guys, maybe tell us about your riding background, what you ride, etc. :(

Remember to always wear your helmet. :laugh:

#2 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

Heh, good idea.

Alright, I have 2 questions.

1) Anybody ever heard of a brand called Daymak? A local small engine shop sells them-they've got a 150cc on/off-road bike for $1780. I'm not expecting much out of something that cheap, but is it worth looking at, or is it the Brass Eagle of motorbikes?

2) What sort of specific models do you guys recommend for a small bike I can use for an about-town runabout and a trail bike? I'd like to keep at or below 300cc, since this would be my first bike. I've got just about every brand in existence up here (Whitehorse, with a population of about 20,000, can support 4 independent ATV shops, plus the Honda bike/ATV dealership attached to their car dealership-about every household owns an ATV/Bike/Snowmobile or 3 up here!), so suggest away! I'd also like to keep it cheaper-$3000-$5000 range.

#3 Guest_Buckwheat_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:41 AM

1) Never heard of that brand, but maybe take the bike for spin and see how it is. It's not gonna be made for speed though. :P

2) Maybe look for a used Suzuki or Kawasaki Dual - Sport (Off road, but street legal). They're always fun, and come from 200cc - 650cc.

#4 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:daddysmut

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

here are my bikes. :happy:

old pic
Posted Image

Posted Image

new additioins since the pic above
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

some action shots
Posted Image

Posted Image

[url="http://imageshack.us"]Posted Image

#5 Guest_Buckwheat_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

dang, daddy, that lawnmower looks like it can really rip!

Anyone have an opinion on the new BMW's?

#6 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

View PostBuckwheat, on Jun 13 2007, 02:17 PM, said:

dang, daddy, that lawnmower looks like it can really rip!

Anyone have an opinion on the new BMW's?
:D I can wheelie the lawnmower too!!!

the BMW's are nice but that's all about prestige not performance. although...............

From MCN...

This is the first official image of the Sportboxer and the closest thing to a Superbike BMW has ever built.

The 140bhp, 195kg (fully-fuelled) Sportboxer is leading BMW’s assault on an all out, no compromises sports machine.

This weekend it will be competing in one of the world’s toughest endurance races, the Le Mans 24-hour. On track the Sport Boxer will be up against Yamaha R1s, Suzuki GSX-R1000s and Honda Fireblades; no small feat for an air-cooled, twin-cylinder giving away the best part of 50bhp.

The final production version of the Sport Boxer will be officially unveiled at the Paris Motorcycle Show in September, it is predicted the bike will cost £12,000 when it hits the showrooms in 2008

Posted Image

not to mention that BMW has a new line of Supermoto's coming out as well :happy:

Posted Image

#7 Guest_Buckwheat_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

How do those super moto tires do in the sand and mud? i like road / dirt bike combinations, but the super moto bikes don't seem like they could do it in the mud and what not.

I'd rather get a Yamaha or Honda compared to a BMW, a lot less expensive and probably a better bike ...

#8 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I ride a 2000 Yamaha YZ125. Its small but light and nimble and i can do what i want with it because it is so light.

My dream bike is a Yamaha R1 with a small Nitrous bottle and a turbo charger on it.

This post has been edited by motoguy1251: 13 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#9 Guest_Buckwheat_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

View Postmotoguy1251, on Jun 13 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

I ride a 2000 Yamaha YZ125. Its small but light and nimble and i can do what i want with it because it is so light.

My dream bike is a Yamaha R1 with a small Nitrous bottle and a turbo charger on it.

YZ is 2-stroke correct? I love the torque in them. :P

... nitrous bottle and a turbo charger?! R1's can rocket as it is, what do you plan on doing with it! :P

#10 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Jun 13 2007, 01:46 AM, said:

Heh, good idea.

Alright, I have 2 questions.

1) Anybody ever heard of a brand called Daymak? A local small engine shop sells them-they've got a 150cc on/off-road bike for $1780. I'm not expecting much out of something that cheap, but is it worth looking at, or is it the Brass Eagle of motorbikes?

2) What sort of specific models do you guys recommend for a small bike I can use for an about-town runabout and a trail bike? I'd like to keep at or below 300cc, since this would be my first bike. I've got just about every brand in existence up here (Whitehorse, with a population of about 20,000, can support 4 independent ATV shops, plus the Honda bike/ATV dealership attached to their car dealership-about every household owns an ATV/Bike/Snowmobile or 3 up here!), so suggest away! I'd also like to keep it cheaper-$3000-$5000 range.

View PostBuckwheat, on Jun 13 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

View Postmotoguy1251, on Jun 13 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

YZ is 2-stroke correct? I love the torque in them. :P

... nitrous bottle and a turbo charger?! R1's can rocket as it is, what do you plan on doing with it! :P

Marauder- look at a Kawasaki Kdx200 or a Yamaha ttr series.

Buckwheat- Yep its the 2 stroke motocrosser. Pulls me back on the seat pretty good for a 125. The new ones have even more power.

As for the r1 i have hopes of mid to high 200mph range. Always been a goal of mine. Closes i have ever gotten was 140 in my dodge stealth.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#11 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

View PostBuckwheat, on Jun 13 2007, 02:44 PM, said:

How do those super moto tires do in the sand and mud? i like road / dirt bike combinations, but the super moto bikes don't seem like they could do it in the mud and what not.

I'd rather get a Yamaha or Honda compared to a BMW, a lot less expensive and probably a better bike ...

the tires in the pics are all mainly street but the Avon Distanzia's are a good tire for both.

#12 Guest_Buckwheat_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:12 PM

Well good luck with it, and drive safe when ya do it. :P

I kind of like the new 4-stroke 250's more though, as they are getting more and more like 2-strokes yet still being a 4 stroke.

View Postdaddysmut, on Jun 13 2007, 01:09 PM, said:

the tires in the pics are all mainly street but the Avon Distanzia's are a good tire for both.

Yeah, I'm deciding between a dual-sport and a Supermoto. I don't know much between either of them, but it seems the Supermoto's are geared more for racing, while the dual-sports are actually meant for on and off-road.

Thinking of a 450 too. My dad had a 650 he used to ride in the trails (dual sport), but it was way too much power for the bush. You don't really need to be going 140 km/h when your flying past trees. :P

#13 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:12 PM

Yeah they have come a long way in just a few years as far as technology goes. Although i dislike the AMA's ruling on the decibles from the exhaust.

You could call it going back to motocrosses roots. It was all 4 strokes and then went to 2 strokes and now the return of the 4. Kinda like woods ball lol.

#14 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

View PostBuckwheat, on Jun 13 2007, 03:12 PM, said:

Well good luck with it, and drive safe when ya do it. ;)

I kind of like the new 4-stroke 250's more though, as they are getting more and more like 2-strokes yet still being a 4 stroke.

View Postdaddysmut, on Jun 13 2007, 01:09 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm deciding between a dual-sport and a Supermoto. I don't know much between either of them, but it seems the Supermoto's are geared more for racing, while the dual-sports are actually meant for on and off-road.

Thinking of a 450 too. My dad had a 650 he used to ride in the trails (dual sport), but it was way too much power for the bush. You don't really need to be going 140 km/h when your flying past trees. ;)

actually, the supermoto's can do all that the dual sport can plus more. it's just a matter of finding the right tires. trust me, go supermoto....you will thank me later.

#15 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Id rather just own two different bikes but then again my bank account says otherwise.

Share this topic:

• (55 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users