Special Ops Paintball: My X7 Phenom Scar - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My X7 Phenom Scar Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Yes, No, Maybe so (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do u like it?

1. Oh my god yes (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Yes (7 votes [63.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. So So (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. nahhh (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Nico898 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

This is my baby

Scar Stock and sights
Ump shroud (sight cut off)
Aimpoint sight
M16 Mag
Magpul grip
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nico898: 06 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

#2 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

I voted so-so.

It looks really cool, and if that stock folds it's major bonus points.
But I feel like the barrel is a little too long. Unlike with real weapons where the longer you make the barrel the faster you can make the projectile go and the longer the range will get, in paintball we're ALWAYS limited to 280fps. So no matter how long you make your barrel, you're still going to be shooting paint at the same speed and there won't be any effect at all on range. So why have a really long barrel when you could have a smaller much more manuverable gun with the same range?

If you slap a shorter barrel on there that ends right at the end of the shroud you'd have my yes vote.

If there were some way to ditch the fake mag and make the gun that much shorter, or if it were a functional mag feed, I'd say OH MY GOD YES!
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

Looks fine. The main shortcoming I see is the length of barrel that Shipwreck mentioned. If you had a barrel just long enough to take that front site behind the muzzle break that would help, or find a way to mod a longer front shroud to cover more of the barrel you already have. Not crazy about the curved mag either - I have seen a curved mag on a scar before, but if you wanted to be real-deal milsim about it you'd have to get a correctly sized magwell to take a 7.62 straight mag.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#4 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

I kind of like the exposed segment of barrel with the sight mounted to it, kinda reminds me of the gas block.

Yo ger, the SCAR does have a light version that fires 5.56 and uses the nato/m16 magazine for it. So the curved mag isn't entirely out of the question. I guess this is an X-7 Phenom SCAR-L instead of an X-7 Phenom SCAR-H.

Also if you ever play night games you might want to slap a vertical foregrip on there with a tac light on the side rail. Just keep in mind, it's light shoot and MOVE not just walk around with your light on. That mistake is why most people don't realize how usefull lights really can be.

I changed my vote to "Yes" because even though it's not exactly my style, it's still really cool.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

I said I have seen it, but for the most part the widely recognized form is w/ a 7.62

The sight does give it that gas block look - maybe if the barrel tip had a more authentic muzzle I'd feel better about it being long, but it would still look better (imho) if the barrel were 2-3" shorter.

Either way it's still cool, but... no offense, I prefer your "girlfriend" :laugh:

This post has been edited by ger: 14 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

ger

#6 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Ah perhaps, but neither one is more legit as a milsim marker because both exist. I want an H though... so badly...

Oof, regardless of the muzzlebreak I'd have to chop that sucker down. It's just too much gat. In fact I'd prefer it with no muzzlebreak at all just so it could end right AT the front sight. Wouldn't necessarily be more milsim that way, but it would be more functional in terms of manuverability. And then again since real mil guns are all about function and not about looks at all, that would probably be in better keeping with the ideals of real weapon design than the typical "just for the sheer look of it" approach to milsim...

On that note, I see some design issues looming on the horizon for my A-5 mag feed kit, I'm going to have to start a thread on that. Would appreciate your guys's input.

Indeed, it is still cool. Is this the same guy as the ACR? Gotta say I prefer this one by alot. That ACR looked so ginormous it could be the same length as this x7 fully extended even with its stock folded! And with no enhanced range to reward you for the extra bulk and weight... yeah that's my nightmare gun. But then again, maybe I'm just a poor judge of scale.

Both look cool as hell though. THis just looks like it would work better...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

I've seen a Skorpion modded into a full length rifle configuration before but just because that form exists, doesn't mean it's the normal configuration. That is what I was referring to, it's typically recognizable look. Yes a paintball marker modded to look like either would both be considered "milsim", but the SMG configuration would be considered "normal" - see what I mean? Besides, this huge milsim marker movement (looks, not mag-fed) has most of its' roots in games like Modern Warfare where everybody wants an A-5 modded to look like an ACR or MP5 (as examples) just like in the game... that is all based on looks.

When guys like milsim markers they only really care about looks, not necessarily length & weight - it's all about making their marker look like its' real world counterpart. Sure there are exceptions to the rule where guys trim things down but still try to keep w/ the spirit of real steel, but by and large most guys are trying for authenticity. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or they shouldn't do it, in fact if Nico wants his marker to look like an ACR & loves using it when he's out playing then absolutely he should do it, go for it dude. I loved my MP5 variants when I used an A-5 & had a blast using it for years.

I still dig the milsim guns just won't dare play with one anymore, but they are nice to look at. Too much bulk for me - I'm all about light-n-tight right now. Of course, who knows what the future holds.
ger

#8 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:35 AM

Well even if milsim guns are somehow more legit or "real deal" if they look like the most common version of the weapon they're emulating found in video games: It depends what video games you're playing. Modern Warfare 2 had a SCAR-H but no SCAR-L. But then again Bad Company 2 had a SCAR-L and no SCAR-H. The three biggest video games out there now of this genre are Modern Warefare 2, Bad Company 2 and Medal Of Honor which has NO SCAR. So in video games neither one is necessarily more common. Still waiting on a GOOD game to come out that has most or at least several of the versions of each gun in it. SOCOM's usually relatively good about that, hopefully they'll keep it up with the new one.

Then again if it really is "milsim" and better in milsim means more common. Then it would have to be based more heavily on what's going on in the real world. And I gaurantee if you look at what's actually out there in the real world you'll see a LOT more Light versions of the SCAR than Heavy ones. So light would be the more legit milsim marker. If it's based more heavily on video games, then it's not "milsim", it's "video-game-sim".

But then again I don't buy this premise that a more common gun makes a "better" milsim marker in the first place. If it simulates a military weapon with some reasonable degree of accuracy, then it is as milsim as milsim gets.

Also triming things down IS keeping with the spirit of real steal. No real military weapon is designed to "look" like anything. All military weapons are designed to be as light weight, compact and manuverable as possible without sacrificing the range they need to do their job. Designing your gun to work well is the most in line with the spirit of real steal. Designing your gun to look cool at the expense of performance, is basically forsaking the spirit of the real steel. Also because all real mil weapons are designed to be as light and compact as they can be, weapons designed to perform at close quarters can be incredibly small and light. So making a small milsim isn't necessarily any more or less milsim than the ginormous M60 and .50cal look-a-likes that are out there. So the exception to the rule might be the most milsim milsim out there.

Anyway all this general discussion of milsim is off topic. The point of this thread is what do we think of homeboy's gun so lest we forget that I'm going to re-iterate my opinion.

I really like that it incorporates a folding stock. That gives it a huge manuverability advantage over markers of identical length that only have solid stocks.
But the long barrel, to some extent, counteracts that advantage. Or should I say, doesn't make the most of that advantage. So I would trim that down if it were mine.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Ger and Shipwreck! If it's not an argument about paint breaks, it's an argument about whether or not some guys gun should be a SCAR-H or a SCAR-L! Sheesh, enough with the long dissertations.

Although the forum IS getting a lot of new posts out of it. :facepalm:

This post has been edited by Supergyro: 15 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#10 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hey now... everyone kept a pretty cool head over there & things stayed pretty well on topic. This one... at least our heads are still cool & we're only slightly off topic. Besides, what do you care, shouldn't you be off creating some fail topic for the Positions subforum? Jk, seriously... there's love :wub:

But yes, it is helping to increase Forum activity.
ger

#11 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

View Postger, on 15 April 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Hey now... everyone kept a pretty cool head over there & things stayed pretty well on topic. This one... at least our heads are still cool & we're only slightly off topic. Besides, what do you care, shouldn't you be off creating some fail topic for the Positions subforum? Jk, seriously... there's love :wub:

But yes, it is helping to increase Forum activity.

Love you too man! (no homo) :P At least the other thread didn't become a hate fest amd it stayed civalized.
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#12 User is offline   Nico898 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

thanks bros for not having a cat fight on my thread :D

#13 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

Meow.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Nico898 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

hahah

#15 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

Btw, back off topic, Homefront has both versions of the SCAR, so you might wanna check that out Ship.

On topic, like the look, not sure bout the grip, but overall look is nice.

This post has been edited by Private Silver: 16 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users