Special Ops Paintball: wow the prep work!! any suggestions? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

wow the prep work!! any suggestions? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bpc 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

I am working on painting my tippy 98c pro and wow is the prep / sanding part taking forever!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an easy way out, maybe just a smarter one.

I have a dremmel tool with some sanding tips as well as sand paper and a lot of elbow grease. It just seems like an extremely inefficient way of stripping down the paint. I've been plugging away for hours and have very little to show for it.

Looking for some suggestions and advice.
Is there a good paint remover I can use? If there is, what brand and where can I get it I went to a hobby store and they sold me something but I can tell you, it made no difference.

I've heard of sandblasting? Is this a good idea and where do I even start to do something like this?

Any feedbacks on the sanding / prepping would be greatly appreciated

B

#2 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

I wasn't aware that you had to sand it that much. I don't think you have to remove the paint that's on it, just the surface material that would repel any paint you put on.

#3 User is offline   bpc 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

hummmm ... but wouldn't having the old paint somewhat left on kind of change the color outcome?

#4 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

No idea. Just giving my opinion as someone who doesn't know much about painting guns until someone with more experience posts.

#5 User is offline   lowrider4lyfe 

• The Asset
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:THE ASSET

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

You don't have to remove all of the paint, but some would argue that the final outcome would be better if you did. You do need to prep really well, making sure you sand the old finish enough to remove any shine or reflectivity of the old paint. Make sure you use a finer sandpaper or dremel bit for the final sanding. I usually use 400 grit, some might say even finer is better. I don't use a finer grit, cause well its a paintball marker and it's gonna see some rough times and IMO it doesn't need to be as perfect as say a car's finish. A finer grit will not make the paint stick any better, but it will allow a smoother finish. I would also suggest the use of a good primer to start, and a matte or a flat clear to finish it off. Also dissasemble the marker too much risk of damaging something if you leave it assembled. (you may have already known that)

This post has been edited by lowrider4lyfe: 15 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

One day, I'm going to run into the woods and never come back! And when I come back, I'm going to be the Knife Master!
If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.
It's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it, and I can't talk about why.
If I said something to offend you, I probably meant it.

#6 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

something i use is Aircraft Stripper

used on vehicals by the military this stuff rips thro paint like butter

by care tho,its incredably easy to scratch things up
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#7 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kontract Killa

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

Theres chemicals and certain kinds of liquid paint stripper out there, i used them all the time when i helped out on home improvement projects. you dont NEED to strip all the paint, just enough to remove the clear coat and rough it up to where the new paint sticks. Granted, you would probably get a better result if you did, but it isnt necessary.
The Free 19th.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users