• You cannot reply to this topic

Team Sniper Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Red3244 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Evensniper

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hey guys...I got a little issue. I am about to join a team and they want me to mount up as a light rifleman. I have played with their squad leader for a long time and he doesn't believe at all in "sniper." What should I do???! I dont wanna give up what I have been playin for years...but. Lol. Any opinions? He just doesn't believe the sniper at all.
How far can you go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without?

#2 User is offline   p8blr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbrules15

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

Well, what you do as "sniper"? Explain more about your role on your team.
There is nothing wrong with being good in a specific area, but it might be fun to try playing with different tactics than what you are used to.
I suppose if you gear is directed towards "one-shot, one-kill" then switching may be difficult.
In the end, if his team needs someone that can run as a light-rifleman, then that's what they need, end of story. It seems you need to be able to be a light-rifleman, or find a team that wants someone who can be a "sniper."

This post has been edited by pbrules15: 12 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

#3 User is offline   Red3244 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Well thats the problem. They have never had a sniper on their team before. But I have always been in that position eliminating individual targets, gathering info, and letting the team know where the enemy is. The leader that I talked to said that the paintball sniper does not exist and backed it with info such as "you cant take a shot from a mile away" and "anyone can be sneaky and take out a target" or "the one-shot wonder doesn't happen very often". I haven't dealt with someone who didn't believe in what we do...and now this team wants me to change my gear after I have saved money to make my job easier as a sniper (which was purchasing the longbow kit).

And here goes the whole "paintball sniper existence" dispute.
How far can you go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without?

#4 User is offline   Wimpy 

• I make stuff up... don't listen.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wimpy

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

I say you join the team and play paintball.

#5 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• To conquer fear, you must become fear.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Urban Ninja

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

well, here's an idea. Go out, do reconassaince, eliminate single targets sneakily, and let the commander call you a light rifleman. titles mean nothing, but your actions on the field certainly define your style of play, so play however you play, and dont worry what the commander is calling you. now, if he doesnt accept how you are used to playing, and wont allow you to play how you want, then that'd be an issue you would directly have to confront him about, or just leave the team. hopefully, it won't be like that

#6 User is offline   MedicOni 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

You might be a marksman, but there is no such thing as a sniper. I would play with a light rifleman over a 'sniper' any day

This post has been edited by MedicOni: 12 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

#7 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:17 AM

View PostWimpy, on Apr 13 2009, 01:14 AM, said:

I say you join the team and play paintball.

That's not what he was asking.

Just switch it from sniper to marksman, because it sounds like your leader obviously won't get off of the whole "sniper obviously means you take shots from far away" thing. Just tell him that you think it would be beneficial to have someone that can crawl around in a ghillie suit and lay ambushes or give recon to the team.

#8 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Well, look at this from your team's leader's point of view. I've been in a similar role a lot.

Of the people that joined my team, roughly 80% of them came in hyping themselves up as either "crazy assault maniacs", or the less aggressive ones talking up their "sniping" ability. I've raised an eyebrow at many people in these situations, because they usually have trouble putting their money where their mouth is. If you were picked up by the team to take point, then that's what they need!

As I understand the class (which I put absolutely 0 stock in), the "light rifleman" is supposed to take point. There's no reason a stealthy dude can't take point. Hell, there's no reason anybody can't do anybody's job. So, just try using what you have and being out front. If after a bit you don't feel like it's clicking, diplomatically tell your commander that you'd be able to contribute more as a sniper. Then, ask him to do a few games to demonstrate that you're not all talk. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here and guess that you're an actually decent ambush player and not an idiot.

As a commander myself, I'm inclined to zone out while people brag about their skills and their equipment, because it usually is a gross exaggeration. I don't blame him for initially writing you off. I also really don't believe "snipers" exist in paintball except in rare cases. Don't take it personally.

This post has been edited by rcp_90: 13 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#9 User is offline   p8blr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbrules15

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

View PostRed3244, on Apr 12 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

Well thats the problem. They have never had a sniper on their team before. But I have always been in that position eliminating individual targets, gathering info, and letting the team know where the enemy is. The leader that I talked to said that the paintball sniper does not exist and backed it with info such as "you cant take a shot from a mile away" and "anyone can be sneaky and take out a target" or "the one-shot wonder doesn't happen very often". I haven't dealt with someone who didn't believe in what we do...and now this team wants me to change my gear after I have saved money to make my job easier as a sniper (which was purchasing the longbow kit).

And here goes the whole "paintball sniper existence" dispute.

Well, my advice would be to go on the team as a "light rifleman." Keep your gear; if you like what you have and you use it well, then what more can anyone ask? The limited paint from your longbow by no means stops you from playing in different roles. If you can aim well, and hit your target, then why do you need anymore paint?
If the team leader cannot accept that fact that your gear is different from the average players, that's his problem and you will have to find a different team to play on.

#10 User is offline   Wimpy 

• I make stuff up... don't listen.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wimpy

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

For real... just go out and play paintball... enjoy it with some friends. If this isn't a group of friends... then find some guys you enjoy and play paintball. Don't worry about what 'position' you are... cause true ballers have to adapt to the situation. Just play.

#11 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:L4NDSC4P3R

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

First off, look at it from your commanders point of view. Don't run off doing a sniper role if he needs you at point. That's one of the most aggrevating things a player can do.

Secondly, don't let the role shape your gear. Let your gear shape to the role. So what if you have a longbow and play stealthy? Just means your team moves slower and more aware with a whole lot more precise fire. The team only moves as fast as their pointman.

And lastly, if you want to go off doing your own sniper role then contribute your ideas to him. But be aware you are more of a team marksman. Snipers never work alone and use their gear as a long-range precise disabling weapon. That's kinda hard to accomplish in paintball.
O'Connor: "Good to see you've gone with the times and put in electric fuel injectors..."
Torreto: "Buster became a gear head."

#12 User is offline   Red3244 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I understand completely. I'm not letting the role shape my gear. I have always been in the position and have built up my marker to make it easier. But anyways, all the feedback was great guys. Before I got on here I told him what I could do and how much easier it would be for them in some missions. But, they are a on-the-move team so I guess I just have to change a few things and just play the game.

#13 User is offline   Sneaky Big Foot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

If they need you as a Light R. be one. but the moment they don't " Put your money where your mouth is".
hybrid player speedball+woodsball its sweet
Cna you raed tihs? piatnblal, sarmt prats, tpipmnan, sohoter ION owner #65

#14 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

View PostRed3244, on Apr 12 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

Hey guys...I got a little issue. I am about to join a team and they want me to mount up as a light rifleman. I have played with their squad leader for a long time and he doesn't believe at all in "sniper." What should I do???! I dont wanna give up what I have been playin for years...but. Lol. Any opinions? He just doesn't believe the sniper at all.

First of all, a lot of people don't believe in positions like light rifleman or squad leader, either. Seems to me, if you want to play the sniper role on a team, you need to prove yourself and/or try out for a team that is looking for a sniper. If you like this team and the members, why not try it out for a while? You can always go back to what you like.

A lot of people don't believe in paintball snipers, because they have a very limited understanding of what a sniper's functions are in the first place, and expectations are not aligned with the realities of paintball. The fact of the matter is if you're playing positions like squad leader or light rifleman, you're "playing" war, and it's all pretend no matter what you call yourself. One of the realities is that not every situation calls for a sniper, yet many times there are people or teams who insist upon fielding a sniper whether it makes sense or there is some advantage to doing so.

Sniping is a guerrilla tactic technique of engaging the opposition. You don't have to eliminate targets from great distances. Distance is a relative term, like marksman or sharpshooter. Distance is employed by snipers to avoid detection, not impress everyone with amazing shots. When the distance between the opposition and the sniper decreases, the need for stealth and camouflage increases.

Again, I suggest you try out something new for a while...who knows, maybe you're missing your true calling? Whatever you do, have fun doing it. That's the whole point of the game in the first place.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   scilencer 

• The Silencer
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE WALK-ON

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Just play to enjoy the game, this isn't a military, just a weekend deal of fun and adventure. if u don't like the team, quit find anther team to play with that are in it for fun.... :happy:
The best way to conserve ammo........is to hit what you're shooting at! 2GF

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users