• You cannot reply to this topic

Confused I like being a Commander Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   InfantryMan Wolf 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Operation Beast

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

I like being a Commander and leading my team to victory and I am pretty good at it but I miss the old days where I was on the front lines helping them out and sharing in the brotherhood atmosphere. Use to play Middle Rifleman but was moved to Commander when our team's quit because he had "better things to do" and I had the most paint ball experience in tactics.

#2 User is offline   Phoenix62187 

• A.K.A. "Atlas"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phoenix62187

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

Just because you're a commander,
Does not mean that you must stay in the back.

There are moments where you should be in the very front,
Or at least in the fray.

The very fact that the "boss man" is there leading the fight,
Can work wonders for your team.

I normally lead from the rear of my squads,
But when the time comes for that final,
Make-or-break assault?

I'm up in front,
Yelling with the rest of them.

Seeing your commander personally take the fight to the OPFOR means a lot to your team.

You don't have to confine yourself to the rear.

Phoenix.
Iron Cross Recipient, D-Day 2008, for ambushing 20+ Allied Airborne soldiers with a Tac-8 pistol in broad daylight on flat open ground.

#3 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

When I am a large-unit commander, I usually command, not lead. I spend more time organizing, and directing larger assaults and reinforcements. But, when it comes to the final battles, I wind up in leading in front, showing my side/unit/team that they can be much further forward than they currently are.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#4 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:17 AM

It depends on the type of commander you are at the time. You can't really leave the rear during a scenario game if you are the commanding general. You have to be able to direct the missions and where your forces need reinforcements.

Being a squad level commander or attack force is another thing. You need to be right up there and need to be able to respond quickly. Basically in the thick of the battle.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#5 User is offline   InfantryMan Wolf 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

yea but being a commander you miss the bulk of fighting

#6 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

Well if you want to be up there then occasionally you can make someone else be a temporary commander. Good way to train sqaud leaders and such anyway.
Official SpecOps FC

#7 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

there's no law that says a unit commander has to be in the back of the unit...
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#8 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

^^^ Yes there is. Specops article on commander, duh. :dodgy:
Seriously, though. As a commander you need to stay alive at all costs.
As a squad leader, you can afford to take a hit once in a while. Trust me.
Once upon a time, our leader, two other guys, and I were hunkered down under fire from about seven people.
Middle of fire, he turns to me and says "Hey, tom. I'm going for a quick run. Lead these kids for me, k?"
Leaps out of the bunker and charges, while I yell to give him covering fire. He got two out before being taken.
But we were emboldened, so I snuck away for a flank while they kept 'em busy.
It was cool.
We couldn't have made it out without that move.

#9 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

View PostMatch99, on May 29 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

^^^ Yes there is. Specops article on commander, duh. :P

are you serious? dude, the spec-ops positions are not the bible. There is no hard rule that says a commander cannot lead from the front. If you don't believe me, my unit CO at D-day will show you a thing or two.

The trick is knowing WHICH battles to lead from the front. You cannot be a frontman all the time and expect to lead efficiently. a commander should be a sabre or broadsword position, giving cover fire and orders from the rear, but still in the firefight.

if you are in charge of more than one squad, you need to keep in communication with the other squad(s). if they need it, you should disengage to lead them personally.

That being said, if you are the CO in a large scenario battle, you need to remain at base to direct your units to their objectives. But you volunteer for those positions...

This post has been edited by Eagle Eye: 29 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#10 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

View PostEagle Eye, on May 29 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

View PostMatch99, on May 29 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

^^^ Yes there is. Specops article on commander, duh. :D

are you serious? dude, the spec-ops positions are not the bible. There is no hard rule that says a commander cannot lead from the front. If you don't believe me, my unit CO at D-day will show you a thing or two.

The trick is knowing WHICH battles to lead from the front. You cannot be a frontman all the time and expect to lead efficiently. a commander should be a sabre or broadsword position, giving cover fire and orders from the rear, but still in the firefight.

if you are in charge of more than one squad, you need to keep in communication with the other squad(s). if they need it, you should disengage to lead them personally.

That being said, if you are the CO in a large scenario battle, you need to remain at base to direct your units to their objectives. But you volunteer for those positions...

Nice post, but for future reference, notice the dodgy.
Official SpecOps FC

#11 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

dodgy? oh, the emoticon. my bad, i'm not used to the smileys on this forum yet...
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#12 User is offline   jmsiona 

• my milkshake
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JMSIONA

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:24 AM

I usually lead squads in firefights, i try to coordinate front line attacks. when the guys up front are skittish, i show by example. ive had many an occasion where the guy says " no man im gonna get shot" and i just get up and run exactly to where they wouldnt go.. they play well the rest of the day. It really helps out the newer players too.

These squads usually consist of guys that i run into out on the field, and group up with me.

This post has been edited by jmsiona: 31 May 2008 - 12:25 AM

#13 User is offline   InfantryMan Wolf 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

i think i found the solution i was at cousins today and i told my friend who i trust with my paintball life to lead n ill lead a small attack group it was awesome i was all in the fight made some sick plays that most my team is to scared to try and pull off

#14 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:54 AM

View PostInfantryMan Wolf, on Jun 1 2008, 12:22 AM, said:

i think i found the solution i was at cousins today and i told my friend who i trust with my paintball life to lead n ill lead a small attack group it was awesome i was all in the fight made some sick plays that most my team is to scared to try and pull off

That is one thing I don't get. Why are people afraid to try daring plays? I mean, its not like real war. You don't really die. So what if you try it and it doesn't work. Oh well, you can try something different next time ....
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#15 User is offline   InfantryMan Wolf 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

ehh i guess when your new to the sport its not fear its more of uncertainty but if u pulled something off once your more compelled to do it agian until it fails and u learn a new tactic that works its mostly confidence not fear and not cocky i mean confidence

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users