• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Safe to Make a Barrel Cover?

#1 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

I want to make a barrel cover/3.5oz tank cover for my Forward/Barrel-design . I'm planning to use backpack-type materials. Are there any legal precautions, or field rules, I should be aware of?

Any pertinent information would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

do you want it to cover the entire tank or just be short enough? :D

if you have a surger you should be fine, and make sure you are using good thread, you could use the best stitch ever, but with weak thread it would tear apart the first time you put pressure on it

why not just spend $2 on a plug?
Group: Banned #2
Pirate - "Seriously, I hope you hit this kid over the head with something very, very heavy. Like a truck."

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

98customizer, on Feb 10 2007, 09:45 PM, said:

why not just spend $2 on a plug?

Plugs are no longer allowed at some/most fields.

This post has been edited by Maj Tom: 10 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

#4 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

oh

everywhere i go they are, but whatever

aslong as the seams are good, you should be fine, you might want to consider double or triple layering the end

This post has been edited by 98customizer: 10 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

Group: Banned #2
Pirate - "Seriously, I hope you hit this kid over the head with something very, very heavy. Like a truck."

#5 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

get some heavy duty nylon strapping and sew a strip of it in your plug, that should make it a bit safer.

#6 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

My plans are to duplicate standard barrel cover design but making it a little wider to accept a 3.5oz tank. I found some relatively thick duck cloth that seems to suit my purposes fine. I'm thinking of just ripping off that thick cord that comes with my Tippman barrel cover. I'm going to be using a sewing machine, :evil: (bring on the pansy, girly man jokes), to put my creation together.

I think it's a little more convinient to transfer the barrel cover from the barrel to my tank, vice taking the barrel cover off and stuffing it into my pocket. My tank gets camo'd, barrel cover's in reach after the game, and little worry of it getting lost on the field; overall a win-win situation. B)

#7 User is offline   Disposable Hero 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Psychotron

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

Use strong thread and look at an existing barrel cover to see how its sewn together and copy that. If you need to unstitch it to see hows its put together.
When you're done run a few shots through it to make sure its strong enough.

This post has been edited by Disposable Hero: 10 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

#8 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

no no no for the love of god please no do not make your own barrel bag. i am actualy shocked forum members are encouraging this

even if you make the bag absolutly perfectly its still not a proper barrel bag. Never take shortcuts with safety. dont ghetto rig up safety devices it only encourages someone to get hurt

please dont do this, buy a barrel bag there cheap dude, like less than 5 bucks. just go buy one but please dude dont do this, no ghetto mods on safety, this is no diffrent than instead of wearing proper goggles you decide to use shopglasses or safety shooter glasses. these are unsafe and so is a homemade barrel bag

#9 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

Are you saying you are going to make your own barrel condom? If so, please don't. I don't want to lose an eye at the field cause you made a shoddy barrel condom. Seriously. They cost all of $3-5. Please buy a legit one that has been rigorously tested, as opposed to putting everyone's eye sight on the line cause you wanted to save a few bucks.

I never trust any home made barrel condoms, and im appalled at how many people want to do it. No offense, not trying to be mean, but seriously. This is our safety. Does saving $4 really mean i should risk my eyesight. If you really need a barrel condom that bad ill send you one of mine, i have a ton of them. Just please don't build your own, or if you do, please don't play at my local field.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#10 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

Legato, on Feb 11 2007, 12:52 AM, said:

Are you saying you are going to make your own barrel condom? If so, please don't. I don't want to lose an eye at the field cause you made a shoddy barrel condom. Seriously. They cost all of $3-5. Please buy a legit one that has been rigorously tested, as opposed to putting everyone's eye sight on the line cause you wanted to save a few bucks.

I never trust any home made barrel condoms, and im appalled at how many people want to do it. No offense, not trying to be mean, but seriously. This is our safety. Does saving $4 really mean i should risk my eyesight. If you really need a barrel condom that bad ill send you one of mine, i have a ton of them. Just please don't build your own, or if you do, please don't play at my local field.

It's not a matter of cost as availability; if you can find me a light tan barrel condom, I'll stop this project right here and now. Honestly, I'm shocked that you and DoN are inferring that I'm going to half-DUMPER this. And I cannot understand why I don't see you guys opposing those pnuematic pipe bombs, aka LAWs, more often.

And for future reference, never talk weapon safety to a Marine. You can ask any former or current Marine on this board, regardless of MOS, about our stringent safety precautions towards any weapon, or safety in general. I get BOINKing mad at players for not pointing their muzzles toward the ground! The only reason I joined this sport was to get my brothers to safely use their markers.

To rest assure any safety issues I'm going to:
1) Have it constructed by Marines working at ALSS (Aviation Life Support Systems). They rig/repair parachutes; if pilots can trust them with their lives you can trust them with your eyes.
2) Put it through a rigorous, safe, controlled testing program. I'll even post videos as visual proof.
3) Have the only working example and not sell, lend, or otherwise let someone other than myself use it.

This post has been edited by jimcohlanza: 11 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

#11 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:10 AM

OK, one, im not trying to flame you or be mean. I just don't mess around when it comes to safety for my eyes. I've read 1-I's thread numerous times. I don't want another story like that happening.

I wasn't meaning you would just half "butt" it, but you aren't dye, sp, 32 degrees or another reputable company who has been making condoms for years. You are someone who has never done one, admittedly. Therefore i don't feel it safe for you to make one on your own. You never stated that they were making it, only that you were.

Once again, I'm not trying to flame you. I just worry about other's safety. I have heard horror stories. And i don't mess around with my eyes. So when i hear someone wants to home make a safety item that everyone trusts, then i get scared. Especially when they have never done one. I'd rather use an actual companies one so god forbid it fails, at least you can sue dye or 32 degrees, and not get sued cause you built it and it failed.

If you are going to do what you say then by all means go ahead. Just please test the crap out of it first to make sure it can handle it.

Also, why does it have to be tan? just curious. I have yellow, orange, 5 maroon and a few other condoms if you want one of em. The maroon ones are Remember the Ronin double sided condoms. So if you fire a shot in the condom and it leaves a mess, you can just swab your barrel and switch over a flap and use the other side of the condom. They are sweet.

edit: and anytime i see someone say they are home building a law or launcher, yes i get mad. I have told many people how i feel about that. I don't think anyone should home build one and bring it to a field, i don't care how much pipe dope they used to seal it well.

This post has been edited by Legato: 11 February 2007 - 03:12 AM

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#12 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:20 AM

Legato, on Feb 11 2007, 02:10 AM, said:

Also, why does it have to be tan? just curious.

I play in a desert environment.

You'd think with all the MARPAT/ACU/Mulitcam this and that, they'd have made some camo barrel condoms. Maybe I should suggest it to the Spec Ops design team, if that helps you sleep at night. :D I only hope that I don't have a nightmare of them shipping it to me via DHL. B)

#13 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

then i definitely wouldn't want a tan condom if you play in the desert. I am of the school that thinks the brighter the condom the better. Why? So the other team can see it easily and know im out.

I rarely ever get shot when i have my condom on, cause its bright orange or bright yellow. i have friends who get shot often, theirs are black or green. How will people know you are out if they cant tell if a condom is on? I want mine as bright as possible so if i hold my marker up it can easily be seen by anyone in the firefight.

and i agree with DHL. I am not a fan of them. Don't get me started...

edit;spelling

This post has been edited by Legato: 11 February 2007 - 03:28 AM

#14 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:35 AM

Legato, on Feb 11 2007, 02:27 AM, said:

How will people know you are out if they cant tell if a condom is on?

Standard procedure on my field is to cover the barrel, put weapon on safe, raise hands and marker into the air, proceed quickly to the tapeline, and leave the field. I play at SC Village if that helps.

#15 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

oh we all do that, that hasn't stopped me from getting shot though. And that always irks me to no end. I've had many a newb freak out when i'm walkingt to them after i'm out in a big scenario where you have to walk a few acres to get out. :panzer: I have a freaking condom on dangit!! Anyways, sorry for venting.....

How is SC village, always wanted to play there.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users