• You cannot reply to this topic

Scenario General Wisdom? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   atto 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Atto

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

So this is the first time i have ever been a general in a scenario before. So do you guys have any words of wisdom???

btw if anyone goes to Black River Paintball in Angier, NC join the Order of Disorder in the Hunt for Red October.

#2 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

To quote myself:

1. Keep everyone involved in something -- don't over-do your support of the local "big names" on your side at the expense of the walk-on player. If spies are a part of the game, you can always put the people you're not sure of on taking/holding ground because it's more obvious to the other side what you're doing for points even without the spies.

Point is, make everyone feel included.

2. Keep the game going with the bigger picture in mind - don't so overfocus on the present without any thought of the future.

3. Recruit, recruit, recruit -- spread the word through local means: local paintball stores, local area forums, word of mouth at paintball fields, etc. The more people you can rally to an event makes it more successful for you, the event producer, and really everyone. We all love a big scenario.

4. Never show signs of demoralization, fatigue, or frustration -- this can and likely will demoralize your own players.

5. Take all news from the front professionally, congratulate people on a job well done as appropriate.

6. Don't snap at or "boss around" players -- be serious and professional, but don't yell at them. They came to have fun, same as you, and nobody likes a general taking the game too seriously. Don't be in a rush to shove them out of the reinsertion point - let them get water (see 7).

7. Hydration -- make sure everyone on the field is getting adequate water. Pull a player who clearly is overdoing before he hurts himself. Best of all, bring a big jug of water (think like a sports' team on the sidelines of their events) in the deadbox or your HQ (if it's a safe area where masks can come off) and cheap disposable cups. Give water to the underprepared or to the ones who have just done a difficult task and are showing signs of exhaustion and need a rest.

This is my experience as a command officer (have yet to general an event, but XO/other logisitics while the general was away -- one game we had a general who was so ill he appointed three of us to keep the show running for him).

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=165289
Member of Team Akkadian

#3 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

I've never generaled either, so I can't give you anything too wise. But my biggest thing would be to try to organize your players beforehand as best as possible. And don't assume that just because a team is sponsored or famous or whatever that they're automatically more useful then some group you've never met. At the last IoN I was at, in '07, I got really frustrated when a lot of the sponsored teams hung back and were minimal help, they were pretty much only there because they had to be. Also, newer teams that don't usually get any respect will love you forever if you give them a chance.

Case in point: My own team had done decently in a variety of scenario games, but we were never able to join the inner sanctum and get the juicy missions. The first game our general would even talk to us, we were out there in the field capping flags like it was nobody's business. The game after that, once we had synergized, we killed the enemy base for him. We're unsponsored, totally unprofessional looking, most of our gear has an unhealthy amount of duct tape on us... My point is give everybody a chance and you'll get some good results.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#4 User is offline   Dib 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dib

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

As a player I have to say that the general has got to be easy to spot on the field. Ya this makes you a target, but I'm not going to listen to you if I don't think you're important. I play walkon a lot and nothing is greater than a bunch of first timers taking an objective. Even if its not that important, they will remember the guy who gave them that mission.

This post has been edited by Dib: 17 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

If he rips my arms off, I'll kick him to death.
If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death.
If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death.
And if he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from beyond the grave.

#5 User is offline   atto 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Atto

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

thanks guys keep em coming

little back ground on me i'm actually a walk on player. my friend and i were angry at the previous General in the last game because he treated the walk-ons like bodies and not useful assets. so i applied and got it. i want to prove what a walk on player can do so i'm not afraid of asking them to run the "important mission".

#6 User is offline   aquateenjunkie 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:aquateenjunkie

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

i have generaled before. at the time i was 17. i was put in chaarge of roughly 75+ people, in a battle were i had 3 enemy armies. honestly i was scared..... who wouldnt be? but the things that made it easier were the fact that i had good friends to help. we had 4 months to plan for this huge game. and the thing is is that on gameday the only plan that remained intact was completeing the objectives and getting points. the object was to find gold bricks and defend them. that is was we did. and we won by a land slide, because the other teams were busy on killing people and taking ground. just keep your head in the game and consentrate. and above all else have fun.

visit battlefrontpaintball.com for a right up of last years World At War scenario. or to veiw what is in store for this years World At War 2 scenario in april at Battlefront paintball in hubbard ohio. GO JAPS!!!
Chuck Norris, a cotton candy filled twinky and Aquateenjunkie walk into a bar. The building then immedietly explodes because it cannot contain that level of awesomeness.

Battlefront Paintball

Team Total Resistance

#7 User is offline   W.C.D 

• EndGame
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:EndGame

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

As the Captain of my team, I would say...

Get past being polite. If you are running a team, and its your job to make it happen, do it!

Tell your guys. For example, i have a light guy on my team goes by reaper.
If we're in the middle of a big firefight, i dont go "um, excuse me, hey.. dude. mind goin over there to shoot at those guys?"
Its more like REAPER GET OVER TO THE RIGHT FLANK NOW! COVER FIRE!

And thats how it goes. And the thing is too, if you are playing with a bunch of new rec kids, they start to feel like they are in the army and they WILL listen.
Simple psychology i guess. Look like a soldier, behave like one, everyone thinks you are.
Captain - Shockwave [Canada]
Sponsored by: Save Phace, Northern Reptile, Yeswedoo.com, Pulsars
Shockwave Official Website

#8 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Eveything Thalion said is spot on....

Keep a sense of humor & make sure all your players HAVE FUN.
Things will go wrong, plans will fall apart, and the enemy is rarely where you want them. Get used to it...

#9 User is offline   W.C.D 

• EndGame
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:EndGame

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Mar 6 2009, 12:26 PM, said:

Eveything Thalion said is spot on....

Keep a sense of humor & make sure all your players HAVE FUN.
Things will go wrong, plans will fall apart, and the enemy is rarely where you want them. Get used to it...

Did i forget to say have fun? :laugh:
Captain - Shockwave [Canada]
Sponsored by: Save Phace, Northern Reptile, Yeswedoo.com, Pulsars
Shockwave Official Website

#10 User is offline   Rohnen 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rohnen Veritas

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, never underestimate the new guy. First timers can be a great asset. I worked out a clean sweep plan with my entire force to reach an objective, which was to reach the enemies mobile base and blow the horn. Everyone loved the simple plan: Blitz 'em! I screamed out in Braveheart fashion and led the charge, everyone following suit. The first contact stopped my entire army cold. After realizing I was alone, I made my way back to try to usher them forward, most all of them seasoned players. I compare it to that scene in Aladdin were the guards are afraid of the monkey with a sword: "We've ALL got swords!"
My team held steady at the line of skirmish. Then, the horn sounded... the ref came over the radio, asking more than stating, that my team had succeeded. Apparently, a first timer (a friend of mine) had listened to the plan and followed it blindly... and alone. He never fired a shot, just ran past all the defenders then walked up to the base, blew the horn... then got shot from three hundred and sixty degrees.

He will remember that story every time someone mentions paintball. Give folks opportunities like that.

Also, don't be so preoccupied with your brilliant strategy. Strategy is good, but remember its about the players, not you. I made the mistake, later in the same game, of setting up an impenetrable defense. My team got bored, the other team got discouraged... no one was having much fun. It could have been the scene of an awesome firefight that everyone would have loved and talked about for years to come. Instead, I'm the only one who'll remember it.

Don't be so concerned with not loosing, sometimes the best strategies for winning are really boring.

#11 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Have a pink feather boa that you wear in the beginning and pass it around to other players so that they think it is you. ( Unless it is against the rules )

This post has been edited by Tora: 06 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#12 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

be creative, use sneaky methods. If it's a scenario, be in character. If that means you are Buggs Bunny fighting against Elmer Fudd, then friggin chew on a carrot or something. If you play along with the character roles, you can actually "play" the storyline which may yield surprising benefits for your army. Some games have "neutral" parties that can play for either side, or event promoters put out special characters, both of which respond better to someone who plays his character rather than being all serious and just playing regular paintball. If it's a war scenario like D-Day or something, well don't get too caught up in character and yell at people. If you wanna do a Patton impersonation for your troops before the game begins, it'll certainly help motivate your army. Scenarios are meant to be fun/funny. We deal with enough 9-5 Mon-Fri, we just want to have fun on the weekends.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#13 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

Stuntmans first rule of scenarios:
Your personal dignity is an expendable asset...use it freely, you can always get more later if you run out.

This post has been edited by The Stuntman: 30 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

#14 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

Listen, I have some things to take care of right now, so I'll be brief, but I'll expand on it later.

Eat a lot of protein before and after the game, and don't invest your hopes into one particular plan. It will ALWAYS fail.

More to come later.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users