Special Ops Paintball: My SP8 Dilemma. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My SP8 Dilemma. What to do... what to do...

#1 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WITHFORCE

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

I know that marker modification is more a matter of personal taste and comfort, but I just want to share my dilemma right now and get some expert (enter: SpecOps forum) advice from people who are more objective than myself or my team on the matter.

To start, I bought a Desert Tan SP8 (all plain jane) from everyone's favorite auction house. It came in, I cleaned it up, I replaced the battery, slapped my Egg on it and it worked great. I enjoy the gun and, even though beneath all the cladding/clamshell it's just Ion internals, I perfer it over my buddies Longbow Ion. Now, last week whilst trolling the auction house for some new gadget to tinker with, I came across another SP8. This one had the stock, stealth barrel kit, blackheart board, blackheart eyes, kila detents, cp trigger, detonator reg, L6 bolt. I mean to say, in fewer words, this gun is mean. I bought it.

So, I'm here with 2 SP8s, now. One is fully upgraded. One is bone stock. I've come to the conclusion that I love the 7-point stock. The Stealth barrel has it's uses, the internals I didn't really notice the difference immediately, but I haven't logged a whole lot of time on the new SP8 yet.

So, here's my dilemma.

I'm not exactly in a bad financial pinch or anything (could be better, could be worse) and I could either sell the stock SP8 and just play with my nicely upgraded one or keep them both and do my stock SP8 the way I want. Either one is a good option, I just want to know what someone who's done this longer than myself would do in this situation. Spare the "Why bother with an SP8?" questions or anything along those lines, please. I do enjoy a clean MilSim look (without being too busy) but if I'm going for function I've got other guns that aren't as big and perform great, too.
Who needs subtlety? I shoot until the woods are monochrome.

#2 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

Take a weekend and play with the two SP-8s. That way you can see which one you prefer then sell the other.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#3 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

Exactly what he said^^ play with both and keep the one you like more. Or, keep them both, and use one as a backup/loaner

#4 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

View PostTora, on Sep 14 2008, 12:44 PM, said:

Take a weekend and play with the two SP-8s. That way you can see which one you prefer then sell the other.

I'm gonna knock out the new one tonight, get a few games in with it and see how it feels.

View Post-SMITTY-, on Sep 14 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

Exactly what he said^^ play with both and keep the one you like more. Or, keep them both, and use one as a backup/loaner

Sage advice, from the both of you. I might just have an SP8 up for sale, soon. :P

#5 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

Build a DT rig :P...

Waterjet milling is pretty cheap, get a bottomline connector plate made out of some 1/4" steel and go at it :mellow: that could be fun...

-Tenacious

#6 User is offline   Sneaky Sir 

• Studyin' my pump-fu
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sneaky Sir

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

I'm with Ten on this one, a DT SP8 would be BA to the max. If not on your agenda, then I say play and pick, pretty simple/

#7 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

View PostTenacious221, on Sep 14 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

Build a DT rig :happy:...

Waterjet milling is pretty cheap, get a bottomline connector plate made out of some 1/4" steel and go at it :mellow: that could be fun...

-Tenacious

View PostSneaky Sir, on Sep 14 2008, 09:55 PM, said:

I'm with Ten on this one, a DT SP8 would be BA to the max. If not on your agenda, then I say play and pick, pretty simple/

:dodgy: Would that make it an SP8 DT or... an SP16? Sorry, poor pun. Well, I played with the new one last night for a little bit before grabbing a different gun I needed to test. I'm a big fan. We'll just see where it leads from here.

The only problem, Ten, is I'm not even sure if there's a good machine shop capable of waterjet milling anywhere nearby. I live in a "Good Ol' Boy" area of Texas. It worries me mentioning any custom work not involving tractors, Harleys, or 4x4 trucks.

#8 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Alright, so if you haven't already figured it out, I'm into Mil-Sim and I've come up with a decision with my extra SP8. I've contacted Scenario Dreams and I'm going to ship them my SP8 to turn it into a P90. Yes, I enjoy Mil-Sim.

Guilty as charged. :ghillie:

#9 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

Your stock SP8 into a P90?
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#10 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

View Postleft handed, on Sep 20 2008, 12:18 PM, said:

Your stock SP8 into a P90?

Correct. The modified one looks sharp with the stealth barrel kit and stock.

#11 User is offline   the eggman 

• ninjadodjy is always watching you...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bake-bake

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

oh your so deprived! two sp-8's? how could life get any worse? you are at such a standstill in paintball right now aren't you? :D haha
and on the DT sp8's, it would be kinda awkward cuz the one with the blackheart board might go faster than the stock one. i say try and mod the stock one to be mag fed. that would be hot. or the p90 thing would be cool too..

#12 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

View Postthe eggman, on Sep 21 2008, 03:17 PM, said:

oh your so deprived! two sp-8's? how could life get any worse? you are at such a standstill in paintball right now aren't you? :dodgy: haha
and on the DT sp8's, it would be kinda awkward cuz the one with the blackheart board might go faster than the stock one. i say try and mod the stock one to be mag fed. that would be hot. or the p90 thing would be cool too..

I'm just a tree watching the paintball world pass me by with nothing more to do than act as cover and a paintball canvas. Woe is me.

I could blackheart the stock SP8 to make it keep up, but I'm not so worried about building a DT SP8 (read: I plan on talking to Doc soon). I looked at Mag-feeding an SP8 and I couldn't find a way to do it reasonably without some serious investment. I'm sure it could be done (maybe?) but with what I have at my disposal it wouldn't have been a route worth the investment.

I'm anticipating the P90-look to be a "shock" to most people. I mean, everyone here has seen a picture of it, but people in my area don't always check the internet like voracious gear hoarders in the search of finding the most unique ways to tweak a marker (or anything for that matter). I'm intrigued by the P90 mod and the B5 mod because they are extreme visual modifications that also have a tactical advantage to offer.

I have a pretty good background with firearms (Texan, after all) and bull-pup is really great for CQB, which we all know is what paintball really is. What my modified SP8 lacks in precise maneuverability in tight areas, the P90'd SP8 would stand out as the choice marker for that engagement.

I have so many pictures I'm going to owe this forum in the near future. :D

#13 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

You lucky dog. I want a second SP8. just...can't afford one.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#14 User is offline   the eggman 

• ninjadodjy is always watching you...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bake-bake

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

or... DRAGUNOV!!!!!!! (or how ever you spell it)

#15 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

View PostEthrealwolf, on Sep 21 2008, 04:54 PM, said:

You lucky dog. I want a second SP8. just...can't afford one.

Blind stupid luck, on my part. I'm not made of money, I just came across a sweet deal. I paid less than $200 for the stock SP8 and less than $300 for the fully modified one. It works against me, too. Got a great deal on a Karnivor, but ended up passing up an Angel A1 (it seems, at this point) for $500.

View Postthe eggman, on Sep 21 2008, 05:39 PM, said:

or... DRAGUNOV!!!!!!! (or how ever you spell it)

I think you've got the spelling. I toyed with the idea of turning a 98 Custom into a Dragunov. I might go back to it. I've got a great wood shop in my backyard. Literally.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users