• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

WE ARE NOT SNIPERS This is annoying me Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Sniperraper08_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

Ok i'm going to put forth my argument and then i will leave it alone. Now this main forum is called SniperHQ and that annoys me because no matter what you do paintballers will never be snipers. Snipers are men who lay in a concealed spot on the battlefield and take out enemy soliders from incredibly long distances, i think the longest was a mile and a half made by a canadian sniper with a 50. cal. Now grant you paintballers can long ball but we will never reach distances that real snipers do. I'm on a scenario paintball team and i am the "marksman" or "ambusher" or "the sneaky guy in camo" i will never take the title as sniper and i don't think anyone else should. Thank you for your time.

#2 User is offline   N0sn3l3 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:N0sn3l3

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

I have a great question for you, what about the snipers that take out enemy threats on SWAT? sometimes there location is only the length of just from one house to another house? Really the main task of a sniper is to take out any opposing threat using tactics that they specialize in...... so snipers definitely do not have to take LONG shots.....

#3 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

And I will say this.

Sniping in paintball refers to a style of play and not sharpshooting from a great distance as, of course, the distance that a paintball can travel is quite limited and no gun shoots farther than another save one outfitted with the Flatline system. Paintball sniping refers to a style of play, applied in woods games, where the sniper will attack by surprise and from concealment, often moving from one spot to another, as they wait for their opponents to come within range or make their way quietly into shooting range of their target. While the sniper won't be found at your local speedball field, you will see them (or not) at a big games, and scenario games, where the fields are much larger, game times are longer, and where there are many more players involved in the game. Naysayers will claim that snipers are nothing more than campers, but here is the difference: the camper will find himself a comfortable spot, often an easily defended man-made bunker, and there he will stay and happily wait until the action comes to him. The sniper, on the other hand, is working the bush, using any cover to his advantage as he stealthily makes his way into the area where his opponents are to be found or sets up for an eminent ambush. He may hold a position for some time before moving on, always alert for the next best spot of concealment, often taking to the ground to crawl to the next position undetected. Sometimes he will be on a special mission to dispatch a particular player on the opposing team and pass up many other targets to do so. His most useful weapons are patience, stealth, camoflauge, and knowledge.

Sniping is a skill that must be practiced and excercised. Simply shooting another player from a concealed position does not a sniper make.

It seems to me, other than there is too much worrying about the existence of snipers in paintball, that the problem is perspective. You are using the military job description for sniper. It's different for paintball. That's why the role is qualified by the word paintball. There are paintball snipers. Sneaky little people that move and fire from concealed locations.

There is no school for PB snipers. No governing organization. No test to pass to earn a sniper's badge.

Since you like examples, here's one for you... everyone knows that a martini is made with gin and vermouth. But there are some people out there that insist on using vodka. This is not a martini. It is a vodka martini. Note the qualifying word... vodka.

Same with a paintball sniper. The qualitfying word 'paintball' scales the job description of sniper to the limitations of paintball.

There is no PB sniper school, no governing body, no test to pass to earn a badge. A paintball sniper is defined by how one plays.
Sneaking, hiding, shooting when it counts.

When I scream, "Sniper!" everyone around knows what I mean. And reacts to it.

What do you do when someone screams, "Sniper?" Ignore them?

This post has been edited by jiu-jitsu fighter: 05 September 2005 - 11:47 PM

Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

#4 Guest_DSF_*

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:13 AM

Sniperraper08, on Sep 5 2005, 09:34 PM, said:

i think the longest was a mile and a half made by a canadian sniper with a 50. cal.

it was like 1.4 miles if i remember right and he was laughed out of the amry because he helped the us amry out of a bunch of POOPY SHIZZLE.

Yes there are no long range snipers in paintball... can we please stop beating the sniper paintball corpse here please... it is dead.

This post has been edited by DSF: 06 September 2005 - 12:18 AM

#5 User is offline   Abishai 

• Conqueror and then some
  • Pip

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE: "It seems to me, other than there is too much worrying about the existence of snipers in paintball, that the problem is perspective. You are using the military job description for sniper. It's different for paintball. That's why the role is qualified by the word paintball. There are paintball snipers. Sneaky little people that move and fire from concealed locations."

I totally agree. We call ourselves "PAINTBALL snipers," not "military snipers." The range a sniper can shoot is determined partly by his skill, but mostly by his gun. If you were to take a military sniper shooting a scoped 7.62mm rifle, he could shoot maybe a mile or more. But if you take that same man and put into his hands an accurate scoped .22 rimfire, he could still take out people, although 100 yards might be his maximum range. The point is that, as was pointed out above, we're viewing things from a different perspective in paintball. But the same basic elements are called for in both paintball and military sniping -- patience, stealth, accurate shot placement, and something most people forget about when they get into this tired argument -- intelligence and reconaissance. One very important role of military snipers is to provide intelligence to the main force regarding the enemy's whereabouts and movements. This can be very valuable information in paintball as well. So I'm tired of arguing over semantics -- of course there are paintball snipers. Their weapons are different, and as such, the distance at which they can make effective shots is much, much less, but that is a function, again, of their weapon, not their tactics or their mindset. A sneaky dude who consistently takes out the opposition before they realize they're in his kill zone (regardless of how big that kill zone is) is a sniper, in the purest sense of the term.

This post has been edited by Abishai: 06 September 2005 - 05:30 AM

#6 User is offline   The Evil Jester 

• Can't Sleep, Clowns will eat me...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Evil Jester

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:06 AM

This was covered in the Ambush Sniper description of Spec Ops Articles section. What gets me is the paintball snipers that still have 150 round hoppers or even a Tac Cap. Mine is only 15 rounds.
user posted image

End of Line...

#7 User is offline   N0sn3l3 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:N0sn3l3

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

it doesnt matter on how many rounds you have or what gun, its how you play. Its the style of play you choose. P-E-R-I-O-D you can play with a pump and still stop an opposing HUGE threat. Or even a pistol. Sling shot if you have a huge set of balls.

#8 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:11 AM

Sniperraper08, on Sep 5 2005, 10:34 PM, said:

Ok i'm going to put forth my argument and then i will leave it alone. Now this main forum is called SniperHQ and that annoys me because no matter what you do paintballers will never be snipers. Snipers are men who lay in a concealed spot on the battlefield and take out enemy soliders from incredibly long distances, i think the longest was a mile and a half made by a canadian sniper with a 50. cal. Now grant you paintballers can long ball but we will never reach distances that real snipers do. I'm on a scenario paintball team and i am the "marksman" or "ambusher" or "the sneaky guy in camo" i will never take the title as sniper and i don't think anyone else should. Thank you for your time.

im going to put an end to this argument and say a real gun sniper can be five feet from you in a tree and he is still a sniper it you are 50 feet you are still a sniper, 100', 1000', 10000', it doesn matter and oh yes if you think you are not a sniper why does your username say sniperraper08... :) <_< :)
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#9 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:18 AM

dude...how in the world can you equate a mile long shot against a paintball gun? thats like comparing a ferrari against a hotweels car. no one here ever compared themselves to military snipers. the only thing that is similar is the use of camo. aside from that, its apples and oranges.

i really am getting tired of people saying long shots are not sniping either. (hence my name) if i am in an ambush position and can nail a guy with a very well placed long shot...i still consider that sniping. however most people consider the whole carpet bombing technique as long balling vs. the more conservative sharp shots. to each his own.

but next time, before you try to start a political protest, look into the search button. this is about the millionth time someone has said "omg there are no snipers in paintball"

ps- on smaller fields i will carry my full harness of 1,200 ball capacity, because once i take a few guys out, or get up to a certain point, they know im there, and i have ot lay down some balls. so within seconds my role can change from sniper to hammer. but on larger fields i will go w/ a 9 oz and some balls. ditch the harness, you know, pack light.

This post has been edited by long_baller: 06 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#10 User is offline   Dusty1 

• Team Titans
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dusty1

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

It baffles me that people get so upset over a name or description of something.This is a style of play,not meaning that we woodsballers are going to be sitting on rooftops,or in the next county picking people off as they walk into the local 5 and dime store.In woodsball/Scenario play,a person who uses extreme tactics,to help his/her team,rather it be marking some of the other team,or by being crafty with a radio,and getting intel to your team players,then you've done your job in helping create havoc for the OPFORS.To be able to inflict a few seconds of delay,or indecision,to allow your team to get an advantage,and cause great stress from the others,that split second could be all it takes,because the seed is planted into their heads,that will present big problems for them on the field.I spent 16 years in the Elite,and know how to get inside someones head.But sir,you are wrong on what a "SNIPER" is,as I've done it for years in the military,and that makes me qualified in knowing just what,when,where,and how we do it. :)
Cold Steel SL8R - Midnight Stealth SL94-
www.titanspaintball.com MVT 2009 Viper RTS Sherwood Forest

#11 User is offline   dasmuggy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:dasmuggy

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

REALLY!?!?!? no one has anything better to do than make other players angry and try to get them to turn against each other. if you really believe that their are paintball snipers than you dont have to prove it to everyone including yourself. just play how you want and let your friends play how they want to play. its all just titles

#12 User is offline   SoldierzHonor 

• Geared and Feared
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HONOR

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:11 PM

I'll end this right now. Even though Im not a "sniper" per se.

Definition of a sniper straight from the dictionary:
snip·er (snī'p&#601;r)
n.
1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Carlos Hathcock shot a man off a bicycle at 1 1/2 miles away with a .50 cal machine gun round with mounted scope. Check out the book Marine Sniper or One Shot One Kill for more on this amazing US Marine who had 93 confirmed kills and over 300 unconfirmed. Greatest sniper ever in my eyes. No, he wasnt laughed out of servicem but had a bounty on his head from the North Vietnamese. Actually, it was for the white feather he wore in his boonie cap where he got his nickname.

The definition said nothing about a long shot. If a sniper were to shoot someone poitblank...that mean he is no longer a sniper? :angry:
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stops to reload"
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"
If your gonna die, die with HONOR
Cobra Mamba IR3, Acid Wash Excalibur, Gold 03 Viking, Gold X-milled Bushy with PDS, Green/Green Fade E-Orracle, Black Raven Primal, 2 Black AMG LCD's...

#13 Guest_Headshotjester_*

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:27 PM

no that just means hes got some darn good camo........ hehe

This post has been edited by Headshotjester: 06 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

#14 User is offline   quick_spyder 

• American fire
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPYDER X

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

That statement was just asking for a rebuttal :unsure:
IPB Image
Automaggot #11 Spyder Owners Club Member #XIV
Offical Pump Owners Club Member #23

#15 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:43 PM

if you're so concerned about "not including a longshot" then whats with all the references about this mile and a half shot? SHUT UP already.

and ok so as a paintball player i shoot from a concealed place...with a paintball gun..THEREFORE i am a paintball sniper by your definition.

however it is common knowledge that snipers (in the real military) do not shoot someone from 10 yards. they shoot from long ranges. why the hell else would they have rifles? because rifiling of the barrels allows for a longer, more straight shot. last time i checked snipers in the military don't use an uzi.

now for paintball, because of the limited range of markers and the tendency of balls to slope downward and lose velocity, we cannot pull off massive long range shots. it is somewhat possible with a flatline but thats another story. thats why most paintball snipers ambush. they wait until target gets close and takes a sure shot.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users