• You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Makes Forks Popular Forks, Washington. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

http://www.guardian....ashington-state

Residents of Forks, Washington State, are still stunned by what a piece of assiduous Googling from Twilight author Stephenie Meyer has unleashed on their town. Looking for the US's rainiest location in which to set her vampire series, she lighted upon the small town, population 3,221.

Fans of the books and film, based around Bella Swan and her dreamy vampire love interest Edward Cullen, began pouring into Forks. Today hundreds visit the town daily; its visitor count for June was more than 8,000 - around the number who used to come in a year. Restaurants have Twilight-themed menus with dishes such as Bellasagne, shops sell Twilight items, and tours cover the books' locations.

The logging town has been transformed, says Mike Gurling of the Forks Chamber of Commerce. "Two years ago we did not have a cash register or credit card terminal. Now our sales of anything that says 'Forks' have increased dramatically." A literary symposium was held last month in Forks high school, including - unusually for a symposium - "an actual, real Prom". Chris Cook, editor of the local paper and author of guide book Twilight Territory, says the school's principal was mobbed at a Seattle airport when a teenage fan spotted his Forks Spartan jacket and started yelling, "He's from Forks, he's from Forks!" The fervour is such, Cook says, that a local evangelist, Hallelujah Bill, has started preaching to fans about the dangers of becoming cult followers of the books.

While some don't like the attention Twilight has brought, others are enjoying the kudos. Cook says that "traditionally, Forks has been considered by Seattle folks as the sticks, the home of loggers and simple rural ways. Now it's a bit of a status symbol."

Susan Brager, who runs the Miller Tree Inn, now also known as Cullen House, says that although she isn't a huge fan of the books - "not great literature" - she definitely appreciates the tourists. "They like it when it rains," she says.

"What could be better than that for a community that gets more than 120in each year?"

Twilight Fans... damn. I just feel so bad for those poor residents in Forks.

This post has been edited by Veritech Squad: 17 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#2 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

They must hate it... but its bound to happen as people become more and more crazy over fiction stories. I'm sure the same sort of back-lash hit Scranton PA when The Office first became popular.

EDIT: Thought I'd add the same sort of deal hit a town in Saskatchewan here... Corner Gas was filmed in a tiny little town about 1/2hr drive from Regina (my residence & capital of province) called Rouleau. Whenever we have family visit from Ontario, if they're fans of the show they want to visit the town... THERE IS NOTHING THERE except for the now Corner-gas orientated themes in all the shops for tourists.

This post has been edited by CapnStank: 17 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#3 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:raptorbite

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

*facepalm* I hate twilight fangirls
I miss the old days of sword beach and such

#4 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

the best girlfriend i ever had went to go see the twilight movie a week or two after it came out, she came back, broke up with me and started dating her cousin the next day.

what the BOINK is going on with this movie?
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#5 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

View Postraptorbite, on Jul 17 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

Oh but you sure do love those Twilight fanboys. :(

#6 User is offline   Anti Hero 

• Pain makes me laugh, seriously.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:λNTI-HERO

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

I feel bad for those residents. Now they're gonna be overrun by 12 year old girls who can't seem to grasp that the main character is a dirty, skeezy, lazy fictional character.

#7 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

Why feel bad for them? In a struggling economy they are raking in the dough any way they can while the popularity lasts. I say Capitalism FTW!
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#8 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

Robert Pattinson is already dead...

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

View PostVeritech Squad, on Jul 17 2009, 07:18 PM, said:

View Postraptorbite, on Jul 17 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

Oh but you sure do love those Twilight fanboys. :dodgy:

better then trekkies :dodgy:

View PostDigitalPirate, on Jul 17 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

Win,

#10 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hehe...

Attached File(s)

#11 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

View PostVeritech Squad, on Jul 17 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

Hehe...

Posted Image

troll'd on facebook.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#12 User is offline   Anti Hero 

• Pain makes me laugh, seriously.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:λNTI-HERO

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

View Postger, on Jul 17 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

Why feel bad for them? In a struggling economy they are raking in the dough any way they can while the popularity lasts. I say Capitalism FTW!

Have you ever heard a twilight fangirl? They argue NON STOP about who's better, Jacob or Edward, and afterwords, swoon over the one they are arguing for, and then return to arguing, it's absolutely pathetic. I have seen fights over a simple series of books and movies, it's lame, and for a SHIZZLY [I DON'T WASH MY HANDS AFTER I WIPE] story too. I feel bad for that community because they are going to have about 50 million of these morons yearly.

#13 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

View PostDigitalPirate, on Jul 17 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

BWA HA HA HA!

Blade for the win.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#14 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

View PostAnti Hero, on Jul 17 2009, 08:45 PM, said:

View Postger, on Jul 17 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

Have you ever heard a twilight fangirl? They argue NON STOP about who's better, Jacob or Edward, and afterwords, swoon over the one they are arguing for, and then return to arguing, it's absolutely pathetic. I have seen fights over a simple series of books and movies, it's lame, and for a SHIZZLY [I DON'T WASH MY HANDS AFTER I WIPE] story too. I feel bad for that community because they are going to have about 50 million of these morons yearly.

And if you say "twilight sucks" they all stab you to death with spoons,its quite painfull.

#15 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• To conquer fear, you must become fear.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Urban Ninja

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

I have read the books. There is an unspeakable evil that lies within those pages... I am serious. I saw the movie too...

Ok, I heard this news like... what? several months ago. yeah, apparently the books have made the town insanely popular. poor blokes in Forks... they're gonna get swamped with Twilight'ers for many years to come.

NOTE: I do not necessarily recommend reading/watching anything Twilight related, unless you have something to gain. I only read it because some girls wanted me to. I was happy to read some crappy vampire books and talk to these girls about them, since few other guys would be willing to read them. And who do you think went to see the movie with them? Ha ha. Just saying.

Now, I think Twilight is one of the crappier series I have ever read. Not totally horrible, but, still bad. I will never reread them... or watch that bloody movie again.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users