Special Ops Paintball: Clear full face shield - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Clear full face shield A mask you can see out of...

#1 User is offline   VirtusMaster 

• Et Si Omnes Ego Non
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:VirtusMaster

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

What if there was a mask that instead of plastic attached to goggles in typical paintball fasion, you had a (just for visualization) army helmet with one of those clear full face shields attached to protect your face. I've never worn such a shield... But I think it would offer a much better field of view and do away with that clastrophbic feeling you can get from a mask. Possible issues I forsee though are... 1- I don't know how it would do fog wise 2- I don't know if it would be able to protect your whole face and 3- I wonder if the shields are made from anyting that the ASTM or PECC would certify... Let me know what you guys think! Something like that would be pretty easy to fab up in your garage...

#2 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

No
It does not protect the face adequately
Even if the lens is to standard there are gaps on either side and under the chin

#3 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

lol my mask has gaps on the side and under the chin...thats what i get for getting a walmart mask
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#4 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hopefully not wide gaping gaps on either side of your eyes, and wide open from your chin to your eyes

Goggles protect your eyes, plus nose & mouth

Breathing holes do mean you can get hit in the mouth with paint, but it's a far cry from direct impact on your lip or teeth

Old school paintballers were not necessarily toothless due to being country hicks. Use of workshop goggles contributed to the facial features of early paintballers

Basically if it's not an approved paintball goggle then its not used

If ithey do not fit your face the you need other goggles

#5 User is offline   VirtusMaster 

• Et Si Omnes Ego Non
  • Pip

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

I don't know what kind of masks they have in the uk, but I've never seen a mask that protected under your chin anyway. If the shield came down at the correct angle it would be plenty of protection from those "I was looking straight up in the sky for some reason and your shot went under my mask and exploded on my nostrils" shots. Assume the shield was wide enough to not leave gaps on the side... Would anyone wear such protection because of the bennefit of comfort and increased vision?

#6 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Standard "riot style" masks are not safe for paintball & shouldnt be used...

...but Im sure its not impossible to make a similar system designed specifically for paintball. Now that I think about it, it seems odd that no paintball company has tried to do anything like that. Nothing you'd want to build in your garage though...

#7 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostVirtusMaster, on 16 August 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

I don't know what kind of masks they have in the uk, but I've never seen a mask that protected under your chin anyway. 

Same kind as in the US
There is not protection under the chin, but I am trying to put in a few words about the difference between a riot lens and paintball goggles

The riot lens is a long way forward from the face.  It is just a shield attached to the helmet, plus allows for a gas mask to be worn

Standards for paintball goggles require amongst other things:
Eye protection
Face protection
Ear protection
Main strap
Chin strap

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

You'd be hitting your shield with the marker unless you hold your marker a foot away.

#9 User is offline   VirtusMaster 

• Et Si Omnes Ego Non
  • Pip

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

Ah. Good points all around. The best one was about having to hold your marker away from your face. That's no good if you're trying to use a red dot or anything... I suppose though if these masks were made for paintballing and were not actually riot masks then all of the problems would be solved. I don't think the shield would be much further from your face than a normal mask anyway... Or would need to be. I'm just completely speculating at all this anyhow. But thanks for your replies guys!

#10 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

Contrary up my opinion on these not being suitable for paintball I'd say a red dot is still usable when you cant get it close to your face

A red dot should not be used like other sights close to your face with one eye. It should be used with both eyes open and by tricking your brain and focusing on the target you can see the red dot projected onto your target.

For them as goggles though if they were resolved to give the appropriate cover such as closing up gaps,were of appropriate materiel to standard - and marked as approved for paintball then I'd be happy with them

#11 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

This isn't a bad idea at all. If someone makes a sheild with adequate side coverage, which wouldn't be difficult at all, this could probably sell. Only thing is, if you're running a stock, yeah it will be an even bigger pain to aim with than a regular mask probably. But if you're not running a stock, then it'll be fine whether using irons or optics. Except scopes but there's no reason for that in paintball anyway haha!

But a face shield isn't the only option for enhanced field of view either, there are lots of ways to make a lens with better field of view. Case in point the Navy MCU2P gass mask:

Posted Image

Wayyyy better than regular goggles for field of view and STILL keeps a lower profile, making it easier to aim in too!
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

lol, have you ever tried to run (or do any kind of physical activity) in a gas mask? It sucks hardcore.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#13 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

Of course, you don't get those things without having to do that kind of stuff in them. It sucks more with an SCBA though, and it sucks even more after an OC qual when you're reflashing in your mask and can't do anything about it. But none of that is the point. The point is if you made a paintball mask with a LENS like this without making it an actually sealed gas mask, you'd have a kick ass field of view and wouldn't suck to work in any more than any other paintball mask...
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Why not just get Angel Eyes...you don't really need more view than that..
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#15 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

View PostIrishMack, on 21 August 2011 - 09:18 PM, said:

Why not just get Angel Eyes...you don't really need more view than that..

Sometimes you do....... :P

I hate being trapped in my mask.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users