• This topic is locked

Sniper? Really? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   stevo2themax 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:stevo2themax

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

The sniper debate rages on. Too often I see new players running a stock custom 98 wearing BDU's sitting in the back trying to longball and accomplishing nothing, calling themselves snipers. There is no such thing as a sniper in paintball. People seem to use the excuse "Oh I was out sniping so I couldn't be on the front line helping out and keeping team cohesion." Then everyone else gets taken out and the sniper surrenders because he is the last one (if he is a coward, and yes I have seen this happen before.) It seems as if the sniper is almost afraid of being seen/hit. Setting an ambush does not make you a sniper. Trying to longball does not make you a sniper. Laying in the grass wearing a ghillie at the back of the field does not make you a sniper. Ambushes, flanking, and making headshots are things all players do, so you could theoretically call every paintballer a sniper, which would make the position redundant. Overall, I believe a team/squad/whatever can function just fine without a sniper. And for wannabe snipers, here is some advice:

1. Any barrel longer than 14" is not any more accurate and merely wastes air.
2. There is no such thing as a 'sniper barrel.' My $122 14" Stiffi barrel will outshoot your $40 'sniper barrel' any day.
3. CO2=Not cool. Buy a regulator or HPA tank before a raised sight rail and red dot sight.
4. A bigger, heavier gun means you will be much less tight in bunkers and present a bigger target, not to mention you won't be able to run as fast.
5. All paintball guns shoot about the same distance, unless you get a flatline or apex (which only increase your range not your accuracy or effectiveness at range).
6. Tippmann does not make high end guns. Don't kid yourself into thinking so.
7. Buy performance upgrades before you buy aesthetic upgrades- this goes for everyone.
8. Don't try to be a sniper.

If you don't believe me, check out webdog.specialopspaintball.com and watch the "Mythbusting Paintball Snipers" video.
Feel free to post any other things that paintball snipers need to learn!
9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to metal, put this in your sig
98% of paintballers will say Tippmann is the best. If your one of the 2% that don't, add this to your sig.
Put this in your signature if you are between 16 and 18 and pay for your own gear.

#2 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

There is no such thing as a sniper in paintball.

Actually, there is one kind of sniper that does exist in paintball.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Example images courtesy the Special Ops BST section.

That said, seeing as this thread appears to be a discussion, I'll throw in my actual thoughts outside of the WGP Sniper / clones.

This argument has lasted since... forever. Players on both sides make the same argument that belongs to their respective side. Absolutely nothing gets done. Then some new guy brings it up a few months later (sometimes with greater frequency), and it happens all over again.

Is it really productive or even just "new"? Not really.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 26 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#3 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

If you can hit your target 90% of the time and spend your day of playing hiding in bushes waiting for an ambush, I consider you a sniper. The skills of a real sniper in real life is different than the skills needed in the game of paintball.
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#4 User is offline   RockFish 

• AKA Cpl McGuire AKA Corpy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:RockFish

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

I think that Web Dog Radio pretty much covered this as good as it gets. You guys might want to run down there and check it out.
Edge Zero's one and only Corpy!
I'm neurotic, I need to see more people. I'm schizophrenic, I AM other people! - Veritech Squad

#5 User is offline   Droop 

• Professional Noobsmith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Droopy Squirrel

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

What about First Strike Round Equipped markers?
those legitimately are snipers.
Droop

My Feedback Member of Garage Inc. Official Pump User #100 Automaggot #91
My Trigger SC Feed comma club member #6

So because I play scenarios, I won't buy a high-end unless it has rails at useless angles, and has a machine-gun shroud bolted on it?-Maduce

#6 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Not another sniper thread. :(

#7 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hold on know, I wouldn't go as far to say that Snipers do not exsist in paintball, but yes many noobs call themselves a sniper and they camp the back, trust me, I get what your saying. But, there are snipers in paintball. Kids think that they are going to be a sniper, lay down, and wait for the enemy to come to them and they are going to win the game for there team, possible, but very unlikely. A real Paintball Sniper goes where his team needs a defense and stays concealed untill he has a clear visual of the enemy and is at least 80% sure he can hit the target. Yes you can say that any player can do that and your pretty much right. But, heres the catch, any real paintball sniper would leave that position and have someone cover that while they get an angle on the players he was just shooting at. Snipers are 25% concealment, 25% Tactics, 25% accuracy, and 25% Ghost (as in Scare Tactic), an experianced sniper can effectively hold an entire side of the field, I seen it.

What Im trying to say is that there is such a thing as a paintball sniper, but out of all of those who call themselves a sniper, only 5% are acctualy a sniper

~~The Horde~~ :(
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#8 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Please drop it. We don't need another one of these.

#9 User is offline   EPIC_Fox 

• filth.fm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EPIC_Fox

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

View PostAaronC, on Jun 26 2009, 05:58 PM, said:

agreed :(
Boss Paintball

#10 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

View PostEPIC_Fox, on Jun 26 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

View PostAaronC, on Jun 26 2009, 05:58 PM, said:

agreed :(

I second this motion.
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#11 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Not trying to start a flame thread, but do you know what type of forum you just posted this on? Special Ops Paintball. At least a quater of the stuff they make is sniperish. Action Ghillie, Longbow, Q-Bow... The list goes on and on. Maybe you have been playing with wanna be snipers and not reals snipers. Snipers are patient, they use their field craft, they conserve ammo.

"8. Don't try to be a sniper."

-What am I supposed to do then when I am wearing a full Action Ghillie suit with a Tac Cap on my A-5A2 with a point sight. Why would Spec Ops make the DVD Fear the Sniper if they didn't think the Sniper had an impact or wasn't important in paintball.

* Don't want to offend any one here. It is just when people say that snipers don't exist in paintball, it is like to me saying that speedball is amazing and woosball is dumb.

#12 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'm not saying there isn't a place in woodsball for a sniper. I play the role myself sometimes. I'm just anxious to see how long this thread lasts before it gets axed.
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#13 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

View Poststevo2themax, on Jun 26 2009, 01:01 PM, said:

1. Any barrel longer than 14" is not any more accurate and merely wastes air.

Accuracy isn't the only thing that counts for a "sniper". Silence (and porting) counts just as much as accuracy.

2. There is no such thing as a 'sniper barrel.' My $122 14" Stiffi barrel will outshoot your $40 'sniper barrel' any day.

And my 14" CP once piece will give me roughly the same accuracy as a Stiffi.

3. CO2=Not cool. Buy a regulator or HPA tank before a raised sight rail and red dot sight.

HPA only gives you consistently, and consistently hitting nothing is not something I favor.

4. A bigger, heavier gun means you will be much less tight in bunkers and present a bigger target, not to mention you won't be able to run as fast.

In a speedball court, this is entirely valid. In the woods, it's entirely pointless. If I'm a sniper, I'm naturally avoiding bunkers. I'm also laying down, which reduces my profile irregardless of my gun.

5. All paintball guns shoot about the same distance, unless you get a flatline or apex (which only increase your range not your accuracy or effectiveness at range).

Agreed.

6. Tippmann does not make high end guns. Don't kid yourself into thinking so.

And? Give a 98c and I can run circles around newbies armed with Egos, Matrixes, or Angels. You do not need a high end to shoot accurately.

7. Buy performance upgrades before you buy aesthetic upgrades- this goes for everyone.

No thanks. I'm just as happy with my BT Delta Elite (which I bought mostly for aesthetics) as I have been with an SLG, PMR, or Matrix.

8. Don't try to be a sniper.

Because you've made a really convincing case as to why I shouldn't.

#14 User is offline   mike7822 

• Aloha!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MIKE7822

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

Actually the "Sniper" can be very effective in a woodsball game. A trained sniper can hold down an entire side of a field by himself or with one person to draw attention away from the sniper.

Tippmann High End???!?!?!
^^ That is made by tippmann and probably shoots a lot better than your SP1, maybe evensome of the lower end "tourney" markers. I'm not saying its a high end but I assume it shoots pretty good

So Stock Class players should buy HPA for their marker instead of a sight?

Saying C02 Isn't cool is insulting stock class players worldwide! :D
To arms, To arms! Grab yer pitchforks!

:)

This post has been edited by mike7822: 26 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

03 Prostock Pump ♦ 08 Ego

#15 User is offline   Small Block 

• Old username= sbcs1085
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

this thread is like

Posted Image