• You cannot reply to this topic

Thinking about a Phantom Decisions, decisions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NinjaoftheNight79 

• Ninja Freak
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Morden79

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

So Legato sent me this way for pump information. I am really glad to see some solid stickies over here (much like the one I wrote for Automags in that section). I have basically decided on one of these badboys. VSC Phantom, 45 grip, 15 round vertical feed. My only issue is upgrades, I am trying to order this pretty much like I want it (minus the Deadlywind Fibur barrel and any stock I may want to put on it). I cant decide on a few features.

First thing is first, I want an undercocking kit. I like the ability to get a finger behind the pump mechanism, and I don't like the idea of scratched and marred barrels because of the pump (not to mention limited barrel options). I have my eyes set on the Wevo undercocking kit, as the pump seems smaller. I have short and stubby fingers, getting them around a big fat pump is awkward. Does anyone have the Wevo undercocking kit, and is it a good product in your eyes?

Also, as I am getting a VSC setup, I plan to use both 12 grams and a 3.5 oz, depending on what is going on. I play some Outlaw here and there, making 12 grams a nice choice when air is not available, but I will also be using this marker for open play against speedballers. The last thing I want to have to do in an open game is run out of air, the people that play at my field like to play rough, and would easily rush me if they knew I ran out of air completely. In order to know when my air pressure is dropping, I was considering the rear air gauge option. This could possibly help me a lot to know when my 3.5 oz was running short, and would work for 12 grams as well. I kinda like the way it looks, and being an engineer at heart it would give me some peace of mind. Anybody have a rear air pressure gauge to know if they really work well or even help?

Other than that, not really much to ask about. I am pretty set on the Deadlywind Fibur barrel (which now comes in Phantom threads), and some sort of stock in the future. Thanks for your time.

This post has been edited by NinjaoftheNight79: 09 June 2009 - 04:15 PM

Speedball + Woodsball = True Paintball. Let us all support paintball unity!
Automaggot #5 All about Automags

#2 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

i used a barrel through pump on my Phantoms, and never had a anno rub ever..but eventually you might, i prefer the undercocking kits though because there more like snipers..which i like

also i recomend staying stock as far as barrels go, nothing better than the stock phantom barrel..i have a deadly wind CF barrel on my sniper..and im not impressed at all.
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Always carry one more 12 gram then you'll need. Never run out of air like that. Practicing changing 12ies also helps.

#4 User is offline   Weber 

• made of 100% recycled electrons!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:GORGOR

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

it takes along time to get anno to come off the the barrel and if it does the pump handle is where the anno will be missing so when your not using it atleast the spot is covered, but if it really gets on your nerves i dont think the barrels are that much any way. i have a phantom that has been through many hands and there isnt any wear on the barrel atleast.

Boulder & Chicken?

#5 User is offline   NinjaoftheNight79 

• Ninja Freak
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Ok, so maybe I wasn't clear enough here, idk...

I want an undercocking kit, period. Anno scratching isn't my only worry, as I said I like the idea of getting a finger behind the cocking mechanism. I specifically want some input on the Wevo brand undercocking kit. Do you have it or have you seen it? If so did you like it? Is it a sturdy product? If not, what other undercocking kit would you suggest?

As far as a rear guage goes, it would be more to know when my 3.5 oz is running low, especially so I can predict shots falling short before they happen, as I am an accuracy nut and an engineer at heart. As I also stated it may also possibly help me predict short shots before they happen. Will it do that for me? Do you have the product and know if it is nice and stable or not?

And as far as the barrel goes, once I see this Phantom stock barrel I will decide for myself if I want to upgrade. I already have a full stainless freak insert kit, along with a Deadlywind Fibur for my Mag and I LOVE it. I really can't see this stock Phantom barrel being as quiet, accurate, AND light as a carbon fiber barrel that accepts freak inserts.

#6 User is offline   Spud01 

• Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Wevo's undercocking kit is nice. It does take a little getting used to and there may be some binding issues that need to be smoothed out, but after that its all gravy. Unfortunatley wevo is not currently taking any more orders so you will have to either wait until they start taking orders or pick one up used.

The rear gauge is almost useless imo. It will either say full or empty on mine. I suggest not getting this.

As for your barrel choice, unless you have a carbon fiber addiction look into getting your stock barrel bored for freak inserts. This only costs around 30-40 compared to the 80+ that a deadly wind would cost and it allows you to do the same thing.

#7 User is offline   Spud01 

• Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

View PostNinjaoftheNight79, on Jun 9 2009, 04:47 PM, said:

Do you have it or have you seen it?

I have it

If so did you like it?

Yes I do.

Is it a sturdy product?

Yes it is. I've never had a problem with it. The main complaint I have heard of is that it is on the small side

If not, what other undercocking kit would you suggest?

The rainman kits are nice. I am a huge fan of the punisher undercocking kits but they are pricey and hard to find

Will it do that for me?

Possibly

Do you have the product and know if it is nice and stable or not?

Yes I do and it has worked fine every time. I do have a crack on the guage now but it still works great. My only problem is that the gauge is not very accurate. It has been a while since I have used it though. I will try it out again this weekend again and make sure to pay close attention to the guage.

I really can't see this stock Phantom barrel being as quiet, accurate, AND light as a carbon fiber barrel that accepts freak inserts.

You may surprised at how quite, accurate, and light the stock barrel is. I suggest picking up some detent rings and using those for a few days before spending the money on a dw barrel. Like I said previously, having your barrel bored for freak inserts is also a great option. I use a set of stainless steal inserts myself and am very happy with the results.

#8 User is offline   NinjaoftheNight79 

• Ninja Freak
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

I considered getting the stock barrel bored as well. Got the full freak set, might as well be able to use it. I will definately be starting with the stock barrel and detents to see how I like it before shooting for an upgrade. I just know if I do upgrade I am about 100% sure it would be to a DW Fibur, the one I have is sick, and they have only gotten sicker since I bough mine 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help, try to get back to me on that guage when you can. Like I said it would mostly come in handy to predict a lower pressure in a 3.5 oz (as many people learn quickly how many shots to expext out of 12 grams). I don't want to find my next shot is going to unexpectedly fall short of where I aimed it due to an unexpected pressure decrease out of my 3.5 in the middle of an open game, I'd rather know so I can adjust accordingly or swap out the tank for a prepared 12 gram adapter or extra 3.5 mid game. I am playing against speedballers here, gotta give myself SOME sort of advantages so I don't get bunkered.

#9 User is offline   Spud01 

• Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

I will get back to you sunday night. It's been a very long time since I've played sc though. And I'll try some speedball as well.

#10 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

I have yet to find an aftermarket barrel that can compete with the stock Phantom barrel.

Not sure why. But we have shot Frantoms, CCM, and another off brand I can't quite remember now. The results were the same accuracy across the board.
The cost was not.

So for cost vs performance value....stock barrel wins hands down...it just works that good.

Wevo Undercoking kit. Yes we have one on my wifes Phantom, and three or four more scattered across our team.
Yes they are a good product and perform very well. I found them to be just as easy to use in game wise as the stock pump handle.

Stock. Why would you not consider the CCI stocks? I have a 30"+ reach (not quite sure the exact length) and I prefer the 'L' stock. At 13.5" it fits me perfect. If you feel you are needing a bit shorter the 'T' stock is adjustable from 11" to 16". Both are solid sturdy components that add very little weight to the gun.

Rear gauged vale. Yes I have one. No....I never use it. Like it was mentioned befor, the thing usually reads 800psi or more...or near 0! the few times I found the the gauge to read between 600 and 200 psi I was noticing a performace drop in the shots and knew befor looking at the gauge I was running on empty.
That is the other downfall...shooting pump you tend to take time between shots. This allows time for the co2 to convert to a gas and keep the presures in the system fairly even...thus making the gauge read great one shot and drop like the stock market the next shot.
If you like the idea...get one. Otherwise save the money.

If you are going to be playing a few games in the outlaw style I would also suggest a spare hopper fed breech for your gear bag. They come ing your choice of left, right or center feed and are a very nice thing to have around in certain situations where you plan to be out on the field a long time or simply want to lean on the autotrigger a bit hard during the game.
Using one of these and a small 50 rnd Winchester hopper really makes speedball a blast and increases the time you can spend out during a scenario. If you decide to run center feed, a simple Ego feedneck and a little time willl grant you a fine low profile and great looking Phantom. I prefer the right feed since I really like to use my red dot sight...there is nothing better than the 100ft gog shots when they think you "only have a pump!"
And all you purest stock class players out there....bite your lip! I have and use both. Ehp....shhhsh.

Hope this helps a bit.

#11 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

The rear gauge is kinda useless IMO. The last time we played, Slowerpig81 left his gauged Phantom in the shade while he played with my pro-carbine, and when we came back, the Phantom had been sitting in the sun and the gauge blew. :dry: It only goes to 1200 PSI. It's also kinda useless, you'll notice when your Phantom starts running dry, it's easy to distinguish once you shoot it a few times.

I can't find a reason to get a different barrel. If that extra ounce of weight makes you play that much better, and if you think that you want to pay that much for marginal performance, then go for it.

As for other accessories/mods, I plan on getting a detent modded breech from ASP- http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...ode=AIRSMITHING - it prevents rollouts and double-feeds. Well worth it.

If you plan on going OC with your Phantom, a RF breech is nice because of the ability to sight down the length of the body and barrel. Mike also offers a 30║ offset right stock class body, but those are few and far between. ASP also sells a ready-to-go detent and Ego feedneck modded body if centerfeed is your thing.

As for setup, 11" barrels are nice, but look at the 8 and 14 if you want longer or shorter. The 8 is longer than the stock pump handle (and the Wevo UC kit) and the 14 is just perfect to aim with.

Any more questions about the best Nelson out there, just ask.

Oh, one more thing, GET A COOL ANO! Everyone and their mother has a gloss black Phantom. Stand out a little, and for $30, why not?
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#12 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

Sorry to be late off the line but I'd just like to add my testimonial for the undercocking kit.

VERY reliable, easy install and works excellent. It improved the feel of my phantom ten fold, is sexy to boot and I've regretted nothing along the way. Go with Wevo!
"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#13 User is offline   NinjaoftheNight79 

• Ninja Freak
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I really didn't think about the guage that well for some reason. Now that you mention that it makes perfect sense, you can't even guage a CO2 tank itself well, the pressure just doesn't go down until its obvious. Duh, forgive me for that its been a few years XD. Too bad, lawl.

As far as the barrel goes, its really not the accuracy or the weight I am worried about. Even if I didn't like the accuracy I could just get that barrel bored for the freaks. The weight is fine, it is a phantom after all. What I worry about is the sound. This marker will definately be doubling as a "sniper" gun. When I put paint through my Mag, more sound comes out the centerfeed than the barrel. When I cover the centerfeed with my hand, my mag whispers. It would be amazing on a phantom.

#14 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

I don't really care for my gauge. I only got it because the only green/black phantom in stock had a gauge on it, and they told me it could not be taken off. I love the L stock, at least until it bends....and you have to hammer a part of your phantom to fix it :cry: :(

Krazy8, I have a question, will the butt part of an L stock fit on a T stock? I think that would be the ultimate stock.

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#15 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

As far as barrels:

Sanchez. Amazing. Quiet, accurate, scary.

Lapco. Awesome. Accurate, sexy, scary.

Palmers. Great. Accurate, quiet, scary. Heavy.

Deadly Wind... mediocre. Who cares about 3 ounces? It's a Phantom, and CF really is a very mediocre barrel material. Go aluminum or brass, please. Even a JJ barrel is superior, IMO.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users