• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To go Hybrid How I did it Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Background: I used to only play woodsball. Then it just wasn't there anymore. Little competition. Every once in a while. Didn't get me going like it used to. I wanted to still be able to play in the woods, but also wanted to be able to compete at the highspeed airball game. I actually have had a handful of people ask me how I did it, so I thought I would post it to the public:

1- Bought an Invert Mini LNIB for $225 of PBNation. It came with a Dye UL barrel ($110) and I was unaware of this until I got it.
- Mini. Solid beginner marker for speedball. And the DYE UL barrel is amazing. Also, I wanted something quiet. I just prefer quiet markers. The Mini I think, is pretty quiet which is good to me in the woods.

2- Bought a Ninja 68/45 from a Proshop in arizona that my grandparents live by.
- Ninja paintball. Amazing. Customer service is awesome. Their tanks are super awesome and everything is made in the USA. If you have any sort of problem, give them a call, and Ray will take care of you. Also, the reg is completely adjustable (Low, High, or Mid pressure) by the tank user. I also got the 68/45 because it is the average size tank, and gives you plenty of shots. What I love though is that most of Ninjas tanks are "stubby" meaning more wide than long. So the 68 fits me perfect, but a Crossfire 68 is big on me.

3- Went to my local Scheels and bought a Dye Rotor the day after christmas. Later bought an exalt feedgate for it.
- Rotor. I wanted the best that could last me for a long time. I wasn't gonna waste the money on a mid end and then eventually move up the the high end. Didn't make sense to me. And the Rotor is...simply amazing. Feeds so fast. Batteries last forever. SUPER easy to dissasemble and its just simple. Also, it is quiet in the woods. And the exalt feedgate is the best speed feed in the market. Incredible. 2nd would be the Virtue ones, but those stick up ABOVE the rotor and can actually get shot off. The dye quick feed sucks.

4- Picked up some plant eclipse pants ($40 used) and a P.E. jersey ($35 new).
- Planet Eclipse soft goods are the way to go. So many awesome features and incredibly comfy. Can be a little spendy, but if you do your research and know where to buy, you should be fine. The main reason I got the jersey was because it has an integrated micro-fibre cloth on the underpart of the jersey to clean your goggles. It may sound like a little something, but inbetween games, it is a lifesaver.

5- Traded my Olive/Tan Grill for an all black one.
- I love my Grill, but I want i4's too. I just traded my black one to complete my speedball set up. And the black still goes well with my SpecOps digi camo.

6- Bought Eclipse eblow pads.
- Once again, I bought planet eclipse pads. Why. I had fallen in love with my other Planet Eclipse stuff and thought there elbow pads must have the same reputation. Before this, I was trying to superman slide and everything with out elbow pads. Man was that a mistake. I tore up my arms and was super hesitant, leading to improper dives, which equal trouble. Superman slides are almost second nature to me now. I still need to pick up a set of knee pads though.

...Now I went and bought a few other odds and ends to complete my setup. Soccer cleats, sandanas, and misc stuff.

Hope this helps with some guys that are looking at making the switch to become a hybrid baller.

#2 User is offline   C-F0uR 

• You exist because we allow it; you will end because we demand it
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:C-F0uR

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

hmmm,....where have I seen this before....? :tup:
Markers Owned: 32 Degrees Icon X (Sold) | Tippmann A5 (Sold) | Tippmann X7 serial no. 036020 (Sold) | Tippmann TPX serial no. 009351 | Soon to have Planet Eclipse Etek3
PS3 ID: Sk8ergamer
Home field: Zwackerz Paintball, VA
My Feedback

#3 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

i prefer to rent a jumpsuit and make my 98 completely stock out of the box looking and run with the speedballers for a game. =P
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#4 User is offline   mike7822 

• Aloha!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MIKE7822

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

So basically its easier to use speedball gear for both than use woodsball gear for both?

yaay Sterotypes! :dry:
03 Prostock Pump ♦ 08 Ego

#5 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

View Postmike7822, on Jun 12 2010, 10:34 PM, said:

So basically its easier to use speedball gear for both than use woodsball gear for both?

yaay Sterotypes! :dry:

i see more scenario teams in "speedball" gear and attire then in MILSIM stuff..

or maybe the red jerseys and what not stick out even more then camo stuff =P
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#6 User is offline   edtoro 

• Street Ghost Urban Camo User.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsDrake

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

The commonly stereotype spoken of by Woodsballers like us is the unfortunate norm for paintball players, whether it be Wrekreational, Speed, Hyper, Air or Scenario ball. Unless a Wrek/Sceario paintball distributor (like Special Ops) strikes media gold and gets an advertising monopoly on TV, we wont see a significant shift in the way players dress for YEARS to come...
Posted Image

Official Saber Recognition Group:#796
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. - ger
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

#7 User is offline   Paintsoldier 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:15 AM

So all you did was trade in your "woodsball gear" for "speedball gear"? There's no reason you can't play either speedball or woodsball with camo or a bright colored jersey. I'm not trying to put you down but, you don't become good at both types of games by switching out your equipment.

View Postedtoro, on Jun 12 2010, 11:49 PM, said:

The commonly stereotype spoken of by Woodsballers like us is the unfortunate norm for paintball players, whether it be Wrekreational, Speed, Hyper, Air or Scenario ball. Unless a Wrek/Sceario paintball distributor (like Special Ops) strikes media gold and gets an advertising monopoly on TV, we wont see a significant shift in the way players dress for YEARS to come...

Question: Why did you spell it "Wrekreational", is this a reference I'm not getting?
a.k.a. old_school_player (techpb), paintsoldier (MCB), paintsoldier8 (PbN)

#8 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

View PostThumper113, on Jun 12 2010, 11:41 PM, said:

yaay Sterotypes! :D

i see more scenario teams in "speedball" gear and attire then in MILSIM stuff..

or maybe the red jerseys and what not stick out even more then camo stuff =P

I have a feeling that's because "speedball" gear (aka: paintball gear) is better for playing paintball in than army surplus/MILSIM or hunting gear.

To qualify my statement:

I almost never play speedball. I wear camouflage-ish speedball gear. After taking a hard knee on a glass bottle, I found a new appreciation for the Kevlar knees on my '08 contacts. I've also run into barbed wire with them and they're still going strong.

Interestingly, most of the people I play with have also switched over to camo-ish speedball gear.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   C-F0uR 

• You exist because we allow it; you will end because we demand it
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:C-F0uR

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

View PostPaintsoldier, on Jun 13 2010, 10:15 AM, said:

So all you did was trade in your "woodsball gear" for "speedball gear"? There's no reason you can't play either speedball or woodsball with camo or a bright colored jersey. I'm not trying to put you down but, you don't become good at both types of games by switching out your equipment.

I don't think he's saying anything about his skill. Being one of the people that asked him what he did when he first started playing speedball, I think this post was just to tell what changes he made as far as equipment goes. This post is actually very helpful to me and I'm sure many others of us who just don't get the same rush or kind of competition from woodsball.
Markers Owned: 32 Degrees Icon X (Sold) | Tippmann A5 (Sold) | Tippmann X7 serial no. 036020 (Sold) | Tippmann TPX serial no. 009351 | Soon to have Planet Eclipse Etek3
PS3 ID: Sk8ergamer
Home field: Zwackerz Paintball, VA
My Feedback

#10 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

yeah, after playing for a few years it becomes obvious that BDU's just don't cut it for a lot of the things you do in a game (especially a speedball game). I'm actually buying a new pair of specops digi-camo speedball pants soon because my old Marauders kept ripping at the knees
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

View PostHOUND1, on Jun 13 2010, 02:22 PM, said:

yeah, after playing for a few years it becomes obvious that BDU's just don't cut it for a lot of the things you do in a game (especially a speedball game). I'm actually buying a new pair of specops digi-camo speedball pants soon because my old Marauders kept ripping at the knees

Really? My BDUs have worked for 8 years and are still going strong...Maybe that's just me *shrug*. I will admit there are more comfortable things out there though, I've looked into paintball specific clothing but it's just so expensive. I can't justify paying $100 for an outfit I wear maybe 4 times a month, and most of the time once a month.

#12 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

To the guy that said I just "traded my equipment in when I could have used what I had."

1- I dont think many woodsball players use knee and elbow pads. Need that for speedball.

2- Need an electronic marker for tourneys. Yea you can argue well I have an e-grip on my tippmann. That doesn't cut it. For one, they don't have tournament modes like psp. Also, tourneys that are just semi-automatic, you would be screwed. And that cyclone... :)

3- Many woodsballers use remotes. On my A-5A2, you HAVE to use remote. Would you like to tell me how to EFFICTIVELY be able to shoot both handed...

4- More woodsballers use c02 than speedball players do. HPA (or LPA) works best on almost any marker and is a wise investment.

The only 2 things that I listed that aren't necessary were the ones about trading my mask and buying new clothing. Do remeber though all I said was, this was how I did it. I NEVER said to become a better paintball player to do that.

Good day...

View PostC-F0uR, on Jun 13 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

View PostPaintsoldier, on Jun 13 2010, 10:15 AM, said:

I don't think he's saying anything about his skill. Being one of the people that asked him what he did when he first started playing speedball, I think this post was just to tell what changes he made as far as equipment goes. This post is actually very helpful to me and I'm sure many others of us who just don't get the same rush or kind of competition from woodsball.

Nailed it on the spot there.

yaay Sterotypes! :)

Um yes very much so. Haha I can't tell what your getting at mike.

#13 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

So I guess a question I propose to the forum here (not directed at anyone in particular) is:
Is it easier to play woodsball in speedball gear? Or play speedball in woodsball gear? Why?

My setup right now is some Spec Ops Ultra-lites. I use some Fusion clothing when its cooler (spring/fall) and some basic woodland camo in the winter when I play. I have a set of MARPAT knockoff as well but I rarely use it.

Using woodsball gear is durable yes, but I couldn't imagine using it to sprint/slide constantly: its wayyyy too restrictive, heavy, and HOT.

But at the same time you can't really barrel through the bush in a speedball jersey. All you need is one unlucky snag and its RRRRIP.

Also, IMO, cost is not an argument against clothing. If I wanted a set of military BDU I'd be paying $60+ for a pair. I've gotten all my current setup clothing for under $50. How? BUY IT USED.

EDIT: Fixed a bit of wording...

This post has been edited by CapnStank: 13 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#14 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Well I guess I forgot how expensive it would be to buy BDUs. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of sets for free from my family, most of which is or was military.

I have been looking more into used clothing, I'm just waiting for the right thing to pop up at the right price. I don't want to spend anything over $40-$50 and I would like something from Special Ops. We'll see.

#15 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

Speedball and woodsball are different. When you're working on a car, you can use most of the same tools on all the cars, and some cars require something special here and there. You could look at this from that angle. Or you could look at it as speedball is like working on a car, and woodsball is like working on a...house. Completely different jobs with some crossover equipment, but not too very much.

If you're making the second argument (speedball and woodsball are totally different), then your question "Is it easier to use speedball stuff for woodsball or vice versa?" is like asking "Is it easier to use carpenter tools on a car, or car tools on a house?". Sounds brilliant.:dodgy:

If you're making the first argument, then your question is basically "Is it easier to use a crescent wrench on a volvo, or a box wrench on a ford?"

I'd guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. You can use either for either. Some things lend themselves more to one than the other, but in the end, either will work if you want it to.

Here's an interesting question: What role is played by, and how important is, aesthetics in speedball or woodsball? The answer would be really key to solving this whole debate.

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 13 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users