• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Hockey ? I guess thats a sport, eh ?

#1 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

with all of the canucks that are on the forum, i wonder why none have started a hockey thread .... i don't know much about it ... i like to watch it, but there are several nuances and rules of it that i don't have any idea about ....

anybody have their fav teams ? i guess i would have to say i like the blackhawks and the red wings, but thats only because where i live, those are the closest teams and the ones people around here talk about ... plus i like their uniforms .... :P

#2 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Played ice for 12 years. Was on a team with Patty Kane and Kevin Quick (at different times).

Love the Sabres and the Bruins... they're my teams.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#3 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

Preds fan..played pick up on ice for a couple years...lately been more into football instead of hockey..but once the olympics start i get back in hockey phase..Go chezk republic
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   burntearth 

• Government Grunt and Proud of It
  • Pip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

I'm a big Flames fan, but the Oilers aren't doing too bad this year (or weren't before Khabibulin hurt his back).

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

View Postklaatu, on Dec 27 2009, 07:11 AM, said:

there are several nuances and rules of it that i don't have any idea about ....

Like what in particular?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

played goalie for a good 8 years or so. Loved it. Great fun. Got bored with the game though and quit midway through HS. Haven't followed the sport in years. Hell i don't really follow any sports now other then UFC. Just not a sports guy. :shrug: PKJ loves that.

If i have to root for anyone, its the Habs. Montreal Canadians. Yeah, i am from boston but still root for the Habs. You don't know how many rude comments and threats were shouted at me when i went to the Boston Garden to watch a Bruins vs Canadians game in all Montreal gear. :D I'm like 12 and the things being said to me were just wow....so wrong

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Dec 27 2009, 07:51 PM, said:

View Postklaatu, on Dec 27 2009, 07:11 AM, said:

there are several nuances and rules of it that i don't have any idea about ....

Like what in particular?

when can they fight, and when can't they ... sometimes it seems like a fight breaks out and the refs condone it, and other times they can't .. it is broken up immediately

is it similar to soccer with an offsides rule, where the offense cannot score if there is no defender behind them

all the lines on the ice, are they for determining fouls, or areas of scoring, or what

when a player goes to the penalty box ... is his time a set amount by the league for that type infraction, or is it an arbitrary time set by the ref for the " severity" of the "foul" ?

just a few questions that i have had when watching a hockey game ... like i said, i like the action of it, i just haven't ever played or looked up the rules

#8 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

Fighting in the NHL is so stupid. I don't know the exact rules, I just know it should be gone. In my leagues if you threw a punch you were instantly thrown out; there were still fights but that's how it should be, and it's why I can't wait for Olympic hockey. I think if a ref can prevent a fight, he will. But you really don't want to get in between two athletes who are pissed at each other, regardless of the sport. So if fists start flying, it would be wise to chill for a minute.

The lines break up the zones. Blue line to goal line is your defensive zone. Between blue lines is the neutral zone. Then there's the red line (at the center) for some other rules. Then there's the two goal lines which are for icing and such.

Offsides is simple. You cannot enter the offensive zone before the puck does. If any part of your body crosses the other team's blue line before the puck does, you are offsides.

Penalties have a set time for the infraction. Minor and major. A minor penalty usually isn't dangerous, like tripping. You'll get two minutes. But something that can seriously injure someone, such as cross-checking or checking from behind is a major. Checking from behind is serious crap. I got thrown out of a game from labeling some chippy kid from behind back in the day. Another kid on my team broke a kid's shoulder hitting him from behind.

Also I believe if a player gets X amount of majors in a game, they get suspended by the NHL.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 28 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#9 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

i can answer those, hope this helps:

well for fighting....none of the refs like it at all. some let it go, some try to stop it because they want the game under control. if you let 1 go in a rivalry game, chances are that more will follow. they also break em up fast if it is a mismatch, or if some guy has been knocked silly, they will break it up to prevent further damage.

offsides......its not about having a defender there, the PUCK, or THE GUY WITH THE PUCK, has to be the first person into the offensive zone, (past the blue line trying to score) this prevents the old saying: "cherry picking". having someone hang out down by the goal for long passes and an easy score. its not ANY PART OF YOUR BODY...you can have 1 foot in, but also must have 1 OUT!. your are then....over the line, and in play.

basically the lines are there to add structure to the game, and prevent a bunch of cheap ways to score. you gotta earn it baby.

the lines have nothing to do with scoring or fouls. you have a RED line right down the center of the rink. that divides the rink in half, and is mainly only used for faceoffs at center ice. and for the rule of "icing". that is where you dump the puck from inside your team's half, into the other teams half, ALL THE WAY DOWN PAST THE GOAL LINE. you would do this to clear it away from your end so your team can change guys and get fresh legs on the ice, but doing it results in a faceoff near your goal, and the new rules make it where the guys on the rink at the time have to stay out, which makes a big deal if they are tired. so if you want to change players, get across the center red line and then dump it in.

the bluelines represent the offensive and defensive zones for each team. the puck or guy with the puck have to go into it first for offense only. in your defensive zone, in YOUR HALF, go and get it, offsides is only a rule against the offense.

the end goal line that goes all the way across the end is for the goal and "icing". there are now also 2 lines from the goal to the end of the rink making a trapezoid shape. this is for goalies only, and they can only play the puck behind the goal inside these lines. playing the puck outside the lines is a minor penalty. they made this newer rule to prevent goalies from coming out of the net and killing play and a few other reasons best left out right now since this is for basic know how.

penalties are set by the league, all are set in stone. minor penalty is 2 minutes, double minor is 4, major is 5, fighting 5, misconduct 10 (this kind of penalty doesnt result in any man advantage for the other team), then the bad one...a MATCH PENALTY.....means your are tossed from the game.

most penalties are MINOR. tripping, high stick, etc....
sometimes you can get a double minor or major penalty if your foul causes injury or blood on the other player. the ref can determine the severity of the foul in this case.

there ya be. hope it helps. there should be some site online to really explain the rules in a flash animation format......

now back on subject...yep, love the game, it was my life for years...then i got out, hated it, was bored with it, but now i am liking it again. the way the game is played and called today...along with the talent of the players coming into the league really makes it an exciting game again.

i played a long time....

youth, HS, junior A, Div I college, then 6 yrs in the Minors. i cant say every day was a party...it was a job more than you'll know, but since it was a game i had loved it didnt always feel like work. i had a great time. met some neat people, had some great perks...like not having to buy tickets to NHL games or NFL games.....hanging with the real pros....stuff like that.

my 9 yr old is now interested in the game (he was born after i was done playing, never knew how far i made it).......i wonder if my talent has passed on to him...? only time is gonna tell.

#10 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

Actually... The NHL has a "subset" of rules that kind of condone fighting.

First thing you need to understand is that back in the early days of the NHL the fights were real. Players truly hated other players and given half a chance they'd do what they could to get the other guy out of the game. Fans loved it.

Enter the expansion teams. Now the League has to consider that these new teams and fans may not want to see all the blood and violence on the ice. But how do they balance it though? They don't want to out right ban fighting but they also don't want it running rampant through the league.

Now, you've probably heard the term "goon" or "enforcer" in reference to certain players right? Most teams have a couple of big guys that like to fight. Coaches put them on the ice when the game is slow and crowd enthusiasm is down. the goons get a bit rough with each other and more or less agree to fight. The refs are aware of it and let the fight go for a bit.

The fights that are cut short are the real fights.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#11 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

in the spirit of hockey fights

Posted Image

Also, i attend alot of Southern Semi Professional league (SSPL) games, and the unofficial fighting "rule" is that players can fight until ones knee hits the ice. Ive seen many a bloody face and black eyes.

This post has been edited by T-Freak: 28 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

well yeah....there are those "staged fights" too. from my experience, those are used to not get the crowd into it...but to get the boys on the bench into things. wake em up a bit. you can also use those to 'set a tone' in the game. let the other team know how tonight is gonna go.

to me, being a purist, those suck. i was only involved in fights after a cheapshot of some sort. like when i was crosschecked down, then tried to get up and was crosschecked again, IN THE FACE, luckily the half shield caught most of the blow. i looked over at the ref, no arm up....so i went after the guy into the corner, and told him how i felt about things with my fist in his face. rinse repeat.

its the way things used to be, players policing players. "dont start nothing, there wont be nothin" as the saying goes.

some of those "enforcers" have so little skill they dont even know what the puck is for.

#13 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

woot, going to Nashville saturday to watch the predators kill Anaheim
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

thanks for the explanation of some of that .... still a little confusing though, we don't get to see enough of it televised to practise watching it .. oh ya ... how come there are different masks ... i understand the goalie mask thing ... but some players wear different headgear than others

#15 User is offline   burntearth 

• Government Grunt and Proud of It
  • Pip

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Helmet styles are a preference - just like in paintball.

The NHL (and most other leagues) require you wear a helmet, but that's just the part that protects the top of your noggin of course. Faceshields obviously protect the eyes/nose, and full masks/cages protect the entire face, but these are optional in the NHL. (Younger leagues make full facemasks/cages mandatory.)

Some players wear shields because of past injuries. Of course like any sport dominated by testosterone, this can be viewed as a weakness (of course, that's a retarded mentality, but who am I to talk, I'm a girl lol). Again, it all comes down to how much the player wants to lose his chicklets lol.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

This post has been edited by burntearth: 06 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users