• You cannot reply to this topic

Hammer Tactics ...tips and tricks? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

Well, I've only played one day so far with my Ghetto DT rig, and it was before I even had my vest/pod loadout finished. I didn't really get to test any tactics or anything like that since we were only playing a couple of 3 on 3's. What kind of tips, hints, and tricks can some of you older, wiser, more experienced hammer players give us youngins as far as how to wield the big guns? Of course there's an initial learning curve when you first start carrying two guns and 20 pods, but are there any bits of advice that might make the learning process quicker or easier?

#2 User is offline   Erndogg 

• Team Suburban Support
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Erndogg

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

if you get the 450s make sure you find a wall to cower behind to reload lol. It can take a few mins to fill each hooper lol

(edit: It doesnt take very long, but when your adrenalin is running, and your stuck reloading it fells like for ever)

This post has been edited by Erndogg: 04 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

#3 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

View PostErndogg, on Feb 4 2008, 08:50 PM, said:

if you get the 450s make sure you find a wall to cower behind to reload lol. It can take a few mins to fill each hooper lol

(edit: It doesnt take very long, but when your adrenalin is running, and your stuck reloading it fells like for ever)

lol I'll have to remember that.

#4 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

yeah definitely. that is one of the most frustrating things about the big hoppers. sure you dont have to reload as often but when you do it's 6 pods at a time. and not to mention depending on how many pods you carry, thats usually a max of 3 reloads and the initial hopper full.

other than that, stay away from going up hills on foot. not only is it physially dangerous because you're so loaded down, but it is also exhausting. also if you encounter resistance while moving uphill its harder for you to bring the beast to bear. your best bet if you absolutel have to take a hill is to snuggle up to some cover at the foot of it, and give covering fire until your side takes and secures the lip of the hill. firing down from a hill or walking down a hill is the exact opposite, although going down you will be extra slow.

my other advice is to conserve your energy for missions and final battles. just going out and causing havoc is hilariously fun, but when you get back to the campsite and realise you just blew through 2 cases because you wanted a ha-ha is a crappy feeling. save it for base defense. this will also keep your muscles fresh, as hauling around a d/t will wear you out quickly.

i would also like to stress that cleaning your pods and guns and gear religiously helps alot. because you'll be carrying twice to three times the mount of gear, making sure everything is kept working is a never ending task. be thorough. you'd be amased how many times i had to go through the "i thought i fixed that already!?" phase. especially pods. keep their insides clean because if you're like most hammers you'll look to cheaper paint, which has a tendency to be oily. the bad part is that it coats your pods, and seeing as how one case can do it, imagine the 3-10 cases you'll be using that day... yowsa.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#5 User is offline   SureShot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Just remember, a whole lot of fire power is good, but it doesn't make you invincible.
I'm not a hammer, I snipe, and believe me, I've taken out quite a few hot shots who went running down the field blasting away with their full-auto, but it only took me one shot in hiding to send them walking off the field.

Finding and moving to cover is a beautiful thing!

#6 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Custom Cowboy

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

Water. Water. Water. Drink it.
Also, if you are playing with people you don't usualy play with and you are about to lay suppressive fire, tell everyone that they need to move when you start shooting BEFOREHAND. Its annoying to blow through a haf case of paint and have a line of people staring at you going. "Man that was cool. Nobody even shot back at you." and you're standing there going, "Why the **** are you still here?!?!"
www.shatteredangelspaintball.com

#7 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

couldnt you simply have a couple ziploc baggies full of say, 300-450 paintballs each so that you can just open them and dump them right into the hoppers? my ALICE SAW pouches can hold a 500rd baggy just fine :laugh:
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#8 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

As far as the carrying a bag of paint on my vest goes...is that really a good option? It seems like the danger of breaking paint would be extremely high carrying it like that. Now, if I could find a way to comfortably carry 4 coffee cans as pods, I would be all for that. Maybe someone should think about making HAMMER pods...pods that hold like 300 paintballs.

#9 User is offline   Erndogg 

• Team Suburban Support
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:20 AM

The idea of hammer pods could be cool, how ever, I think it wouldn't be practical. When I go into hammer mode, I just add on the necessary pouches to carry tanks/pods to my vest. When I go out to play with a single marker, I take off when ever I dont need or feel like using. So if I feel like running with 8 pods vs 15+ I can, or if I want to run 5 pods I can.

The only time this wouldn't apply to the situation is when I pic up my Stock Class gear.

#10 User is offline   Montydoom 

• Elite HAMMER
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Montydoom

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

HAMMERs should deliver fire normally in short bursts of three to five cranks. HAMMERs distribute their fire across the entire sqruad frount. ;) Your base of fire must achieve fire superiority over the enemy postion to adequately cover your teams movement. When there is no opportunity for maneuvering, the squad or team moves directly to the front. However, the frontal attack has litte chance of surpise this type of attack is the most frequently used for a squad or team because it is quick, simple, and easily controlled.
Play Hard & Pray Harder
Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected. For I am there. Yes you are mine!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

#11 User is offline   dogstile 

• who knew that i would become the local legend?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:dogstile

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

get balanced, one wrong step and your on the ground
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"if you love paintball more then your relatives, put this in your sig"
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"

#12 User is offline   Erndogg 

• Team Suburban Support
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

Oh, I dont know what kind of games you plan to be playing but if your doing scenarios where its 100+ vs 100+ make sure you dont waste your paint on 1-3 targets.. Try to save it for base defense, all out assults, what ever.

#13 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

oh yeah, one more thing... make sure you get your bathroom break in BEFORE you get strapped into your rig. i know from experience that having to take off 5 pod harnesses, 2 scuba tanks, mask, radios, carrying bag, mask, guns, and support slings when you gotta go is insanely hard.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#14 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

View PostIron__Man, on Feb 6 2008, 11:54 PM, said:

oh yeah, one more thing... make sure you get your bathroom break in BEFORE you get strapped into your rig. i know from experience that having to take off 5 pod harnesses, 2 scuba tanks, mask, radios, carrying bag, mask, guns, and support slings when you gotta go is insanely hard.

lol...I'll keep that in mind. I Dunno if I'd even bother taking everything off as long as I can still get my fly open....of course I might look wierd in the mens restroom all geared up taking a leak with my mask on and everything.

#15 User is offline   T_DEVIL 

• The DEVIL didn't make me do it! I just could!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:T_DEVIL

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

All are very good points, but may I make some suggestions?

1. start off with the 250 round hoopers that come stock with your A5's!

This will help you gage and judge the amount of paint you have, and once you have played a few day(s) 5-7. Move up to the 330 rd type. hopefully by then you have become proficient in self reloading and seeking safe cover while doing it. Eventually move up to the 450 rd type! You should be quick at reloading by know if you have followed the previous two steps. I personally use the 450 rd type primarily for final battles and ambush sites (predetermine ones).

2. Rate of Fire! Although you have the ability to unload cases and cases of paint, the ability to control your ROF will do several things for ya!
2.a. It will save you money.
2.b. It will give you a reputation FOR NOT OVER SHOOTING.
2.c. It will save you long walks with all your heavy gear to the dead box.
2.d. It will make you a much more smarter player, where you will no longer have to be in the back spraying and praying but rather upfront with the daggers-like me :laugh:
2.e. It will keep those around you alive longer and everyone will just LOV ya to death.
2.f. Oh yea IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!

You may not NEED so many pods if you can control your ROF, as Monty stated 3-4 revolution should about cover it, unless your out onyour own as a wrecking crew then 4-6 cranks should take care of it! Keep in mind that once the GOD like Complex Kicks in! you need to do a self reality check and pick your battles! Don't get tunnel vision your the one person who should be killed the least. Nothing sucks more than to make that long walk with all that gear.

3. Carry what you know you can carry.

Even though a HAMMER can usually BE Billy Bad butt, Please only carry what you know you will need and or can handle. Carrying all that gear can sometimes be overwhelming and create heat casualty situation. Thus rendering you a Lousy and measly pallpin hammer. j/k but safety first.

4. Restroom!

Make sure your gear is restroom friendly, I dont have to take off anything to #1 #2 is a slightly different story but stll managable. But yea deffinatly go before hand! LOL

5. Practice!

Should be self explanitory!

6. Hammer Classes/Clinic!

I highly recommend you try and attend the ELITE WEEKEND!

ABANDON ALL HOPE!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users