Special Ops Paintball: Looking for a high end marker - Special Ops Paintball

• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a high end marker The title says it all.

#1 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

I graduate in May and I am looking into getting a serious high end marker. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tippmann's, they're like children to me, but I am looking to doing a serious upgrade in performance.
Requirements.
Reliability: I don't want something that can shoot ropes but breaks done. I live in New England and it should also be able to be used during the winter months.
Maintenance: I have had my fill of maintenance hogs. I really don't have time to spend a lot of time cleaning a marker. I picked up an SP8 and regretted every second of it.
Obviosuly I want a marker that is accurate and can shoot a sick amount of paint.

What are your thoughts and give me the reasons. I'm considering the DM8 and the Droid to name a few.

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 18 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

If you don't need to shoot 20bps (although they can) I recommend either a Blazer or a Typhoon. Maintenance is almost non-existent. They advise you take your marker into the shower after you are done for the day to clean it off. After that all you have to do is dry it off, put on a few drops of oil and fire a couple dozen shots to clear it out. You almost NEVER have to take them apart. In fact, it is recommended you don't.

They both work exceptional on CO2. In the extreme winter you can turn over an anti-siphon tank and run them on liquid. Accuracy is top notch with a match honed brass barrel. They come completely set right from Palmer's. No after market improvement is necessary.

While you might have to wait some time while they make your marker from scratch, you get to tell them exactly what you want. Want something that is whisper quiet? Just tell them and they tune it to be as quiet as possible. Everything is custom done. Like a true high end marker, each one that leaves has passed extensive quality control and is tested and tuned to ensure flawless action.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

I should have mentioned that I have 2 90/4500 HPA tanks. I though of getting the Typhoon Nasty...

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 18 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

#4 User is offline   mrwaterbuffalo 

• still lives with his parents
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mrwaterbuffalo

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

MacDev makes great markers, PM me if you are interested in them.

Droids are pretty awesome, I have dryfired one (I didn't wanna ask if I could shoot it during a game though :dodgy: ) But it felt great, really light, single tube, so maintenance is easy, and extreamly efficient.

Again, PM me if you want any MacDev products
Still misses DoN ;_;
All my friends are mods now

#5 User is offline   Buckfrenzy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Buckfrenzy

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

Maintenance of Droids as quoted by the guys from Tanked who shot them in our bracket at World Cup: Their are to many f-ing o-rings, I don't know what to do with this... They were even sponsored by Macdev. I don't know if that is the actual case because they were very new to the marker at the time, but it seems that it may be a little true.

I would advise an Ego7 or Ego8. They are very very reliable. We have over 10 guys on our team that shoot an ego, and we never have problems with them. They are also easy to maintain. You just pop out the rammer or bolt, wipe it down, put a little oil on it, and go. I have only lubed my reg once since I got the gun. I put oil in the asa once ever three or four weekends, and the gun shoots wonderfully. I played in every weather from 10-110 and it worked well every time.

It is also very efficient. I get around 12 pods off of a 68/45 on my Ego7.

Oh, and they shoot very very fast and accurate.
Proud member of Shogun PSP and Jolly Green.
JOLLY GREEN
BUY MY PUMP

#6 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

The Matrix is a great marker, that's the only high end I'll shoot.
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#7 User is offline   REDRUM STEEEL RESERVE 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

im gonna have to agree with buck get a EGO ive shot my boys ETEK quiet a few times and had to go out and buy a EGO which came in the mail yesterday 07 REDZ EGO black with red parts SWEET SWEET gun

#8 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:57 AM

View PostProdigy, on Dec 19 2007, 12:37 AM, said:

The Matrix is a great marker, that's the only high end I'll shoot.

But why is it a great marker? I want evidence based replies not just this is a great marker and thats it.

#9 User is offline   AbsolutePaintball 

• AbsolutePaintball.net
  • Pip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:19 AM

the matrix line (specifically dm4-8 and pm5-8... no rails, or gen-e trixes)

is VERY easy to maintain... it really comes down to taking out the bolt kit, cleaning and re-lubing... its a bit more work than a tippmann, cocker, mag... but boy is it worth it... there ARE a bunch of o-rings... but they really only need to be replaced when you see a drop in performance... ive had my pm6 for a year and a half now... ive changed all my o-rings ONCE... and i keep it lubed and clean... and it treats me VERY WELL... infact... im dropping my shocker because the matrix shoots so much nicer.

now, if you want something a little simpler... what about looking into an Ion XE (bolt out back design makes cleaning a breeze) with some simple upgrades such as an L7 bolt, Clippard Style QEV.... you can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger at a low PSI and low dwell (making it efficient)
www.AbsolutePaintball.net
^^ sign up for free stickers! ^^
____FEEDBACK____
PBC | APB.Net | PBN

Everytime someone calls themselves a paintball sniper, God kills a kitten.
what will spec-ops find wrong with my account now?

#10 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

View PostAbsolutePaintball, on Dec 19 2007, 10:19 AM, said:

the matrix line (specifically dm4-8 and pm5-8... no rails, or gen-e trixes)

is VERY easy to maintain... it really comes down to taking out the bolt kit, cleaning and re-lubing... its a bit more work than a tippmann, cocker, mag... but boy is it worth it... there ARE a bunch of o-rings... but they really only need to be replaced when you see a drop in performance... ive had my pm6 for a year and a half now... ive changed all my o-rings ONCE... and i keep it lubed and clean... and it treats me VERY WELL... infact... im dropping my shocker because the matrix shoots so much nicer.

now, if you want something a little simpler... what about looking into an Ion XE (bolt out back design makes cleaning a breeze) with some simple upgrades such as an L7 bolt, Clippard Style QEV.... you can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger at a low PSI and low dwell (making it efficient)

He's already had a spoil valve marker and doesn't want to do rutine maintance, fact is if you don't clean a matrix after a day of play it will act up the next day when its gassed back up, he doesn't want that...

With that I'd recommed a popet either a stack tube or 3 stack specifally the Angel A1. If you don't mess with it the only maintance you'll need is a lubing of the parts every 20,000 shots. The probablem is that mainy people play with the Angel, take things off and such and create issues, if you read the manual first and follow that like a Bible, it won't break.
Or you could go the route with an idiot gun like the Ego, lube the bolt before play and keep the battery fresh...

Frankly High End markers all require very selective maintance, its a pay off for the higher performance bar that they set. Wanting an idiot proof high-end is like wanting a Machlarin F-1 and not wanting to change or use the right oils and fuel. If you want a high end it's an investment, I honestly say, stick with a Tippman if you don't take care of your gear, no offense.

#11 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'll toss out another Blazer recommendation. My cleaning method for the past 2 years has been this:
1. Go to the sink
2. Run it under warm water
3. Dry off the outside
4. Hook up some air and shoot a few times
5. Take off the air, put some oil in the ASA
6. Put some oil in the bolt and hammer
7. Hook up the air again, shoot some more
8. Open up the grips and put it in front of a fan to dry

It's a breeze. No disassembly at all. The only parts you have to remove is a screw for the grips and slide the bolt out to oil it.

In the 2 years I've had it, I've only had two issues. The timing was a bit off when I got it. I straightened it out on my own, but now they also have an online timing guide. It's simple to do really, but 99% of Blazers will never need any kind of timing by the user. Mine was a fluke. Also, the ram shaft on mine developed a small leak. It was a user-serviceable part. Simple enough to change an o-ring in the bushing.

Besides that, it's been "gas up and go" every day. It is among the least maintenance-intensive high-ends out there.

#12 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Defintely not into any Smart Parts markers. The barrels are great but after the fiasco of my SP8. Never again. That was beyond a maintenance hog. I don't mind cleaning a marker or doing basic maintenance but when it takes me an hour to take the thing apart and then put it back together.. UGGHH. Never mind the fact that the board in the SP8 fried after using it twice.

I was actually considering the DM8. The Droid and Ego also both look like good choices as well and I can't forget the Palmers.

#13 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

well I am in your position as well looking into high-end markers, and the Droid has captured me, other than looking sick and being a single tube design. If you go to the Macdev discussion thread you will see a vid of the Droid firing, and I must say it sick, it stopped firing suddenly and the guy looked down like 'Dirty Acronym' and then he realized it was out of air... no shoot down, no little plops on the last shots, just one minute its shooting the next its not, it can get 1700 from a 68/4500 which is just sick...

and the nice thing for us going from low-end that require alot of disassembly, you just pull out the spool in the back which can be said about most of the markers. I hope you get yourself something real nice for graduation congrats man!
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#14 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

1700 on the Droid is cool, but a Borg will pull 1900+ from the same tank :ghillie:.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#15 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Thanks on the Congrats but I don't graduate until May 17th. I jsut did the math and it looks like I would be getting about 2250 shots with my tank, a 90/4500. If I get it, I may have to upgrade my vest package. Currently I have 2 SO vests, ones the harness style custom job that carries 8 pods and the other is a broadsword and I use Dye Lid locks.............. Lots and lots of paint.

Share this topic:

• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users