• You cannot reply to this topic

Pseudo Silencer for the A-5

#1 User is offline   Charon 

• Tippinators.com
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Charon

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:34 AM

I am speaking hypothetically here. I am going to list these in point form to show you my line of logic.

Other then the metal parts moving most of the noise that people try to silence is the ‘Pop’ of the gas leaving the barrel behind the ball.

Everyone agrees that the A-5 is a gas hog. More gas in the chamber means more gas down the barrel. More gas down the barrel means more noise from the ‘Pop’.

We all know that the flatline is loud because it uses all of the gas to spin the ball.

We all know that ported metal barrels are quieter then a flatline because the gas leaves the barrel slowly thereby reducing the ‘Pop’ when the ball leaves.

We all know that fiber and composite barrels are quieter then metal barrels because they tend to disperse the noise and vibration a little as the ball travels down the barrel so there is less noise when the ball leaves the barrel.

We all know that you can use an empty soda bottle, potato or towel wrapped around the end of a real weapon to make an ad hoc one shot silencer because the noise from the weapons discharge is muffled and cannot be heard by anyone nearby.

If you were to muffle the sound of the gas escaping from the ports of the barrel the marker should be quieter.

Since you cannot run around the woods with an empty soda bottle, potato or towel on your marker because it is impractical and you would look like a banana head you would need something more permanent.

What if you were to install a 16’’ Stiffi barrel and over top of that install a long scenario hand guard like a PSG-1 long or similar.

You would then have a ported composite barrel with a ‘muffler’ around the ports to deaden the sound or escaping gas.

It should work? Shouldn't it?

#2 User is offline   24/nine 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Not-so-newbie

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

Hmm Im not sure. I dont really know much but it sounds good and at least ur thinkin even if it doesnt work. I'd say its at least worth a try. If I had the resources to blow I'd try it myself but I'm low and green and I'm actually trying to set up a new gun myself. So deffinately let me know what happens If you try it.

Maybe there could also be some way to convert a fake supressor into a real one (say like if they are hollow, actually stuffing them withsomething like towels or potatoes lol or something like insulation)? Like I said I dont know much about the subject I'm just throwing out ideas. Lemme know what you find out. B)
DISAPEAR

"Why tip-toe through life, to arrive safely at death?"

How can we "learn" to think outside the box if you teach inside it?

user posted image

#3 User is offline   24/nine 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

In fact Im going to do some research
DISAPEAR

user posted image

#4 User is offline   24/nine 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:51 PM

lol :D This site is sooo amazing its a wonder its not illegal.

http://people.howstu...question112.htm

So after that it still hasn't answered any real Q's except for clarifying what some of us already know. BUT, here's my hypothesis: If you had a ported barrel and put a hollow fake supressor on the end maybe?
DISAPEAR

user posted image

#5 User is offline   Nemidaelius 

• Self-described 'sniper'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

One legal way to make your barrel quiet is porting. If you feel like paying, find a place where they do custom work and get a lot of porting done. If you slipped a muffler over that, it would muffle teh noise further. Works best with a long barrel. I mean LONG. Im gonna get my Thunder Pig ported, its a full 21" long.

The porting will let the gas out a little at a time, quite legal, it gets less legal if you put somthing else, like say a bunch of marress foam, over that.

Dont bother using a fake suppressor, those are modelled after real supressors adn dont have enough volume for a paintball gun, which has greater volume. Instead a 2 liter soda bottle covered with camo tape might work better. filling it with foam would do even better. it would obstruct your sights, so dont use this if you want to aim on your sights.
Keep in mind this goes OVER THE PORTED PART OF THE BARREL, NOT ON THE END. You will need to make holes in the ends of the bottle so it fits over the barrel.

I wont actually encourage you to do this, that would be illegal.

After that you might want to quiet down the action of the gun. There are several ways to do this, most involve lubricating and/or polishing your internals, also maybe putting bits of rubber in a few places.
proud aspie
IPB Image

#6 User is offline   ghost ranger 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Location:Lewisburg, TN or Huntsville, AL depending on what day of the week it is

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

As I understand the law, (Disclaimer: I don't claim to FULLY understand it) it's only illegal if it can be converted to silence a real firearm. Therefore, if the rig were either permanently affixed to the barrel in the case of the soda-bottle type silencer, I'm pretty sure that would be legal. Also, the original idea of the Stiffi with the handguard mounted on it, I am fairly certain that that would be next to impossible to convert to a firearms application.

With regard to the legal discusion above, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, about the Stiffi with the handgrip, that's an intriquing idea. My two cents would be to seal the handguard but to leave the cavity between barrel and handguard vacant, so as to let the gas expand better.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users