Special Ops Paintball: how quiet are Tippmann 98's? - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how quiet are Tippmann 98's? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: how quiet? (229 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose one!

1. about as quiet as a stampede of elephants (108 votes [46.96%])

Percentage of vote: 46.96%

2. about as loud as an A-5 (68 votes [29.57%])

Percentage of vote: 29.57%

3. quieter than an A-5 (30 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

4. Quiet enough to be good for sniping, but louder than say a longbow (21 votes [9.13%])

Percentage of vote: 9.13%

5. as good as or better than a longbow (3 votes [1.30%])

Percentage of vote: 1.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   pacman529 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:pacman529

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

nuff said.
Sabre #529

Sabre: "If we can't do it, it doesn't need to be done!"

#2 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

Pretty loud. They're high pressure, unless you add an LPK, and high pressure markers are loud. They have a lot of mechanical stuff going on, including a hammer hitting a valve, and a sear sliding against metal. It'll be about the same as an A-5, but you can quiet them down (ported barrel, LPK, rocket cock, etc).

An automag, such as the tac one (base of the longbow) will always be quieter, no hammer, low pressure, not a poppet valve (which are loud), etc.

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

Same as any other Tippmann, sans the C-3.

#4 User is offline   Shootist 

• P-Baller 4 Life
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Shootist

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

You can also get certian upgrades to make the marker quieter such as a Stiffi Barrel and a Rocket cock. Heard this makes it alot quieter.

If there was a fire in your house and the first thing you would grab was your paintball gear, put this in your sig.

#5 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

I voted elephants because they're pretty darned loud.

View Postaqua_scummm, on May 9 2007, 11:10 AM, said:

Pretty loud. They're high pressure, unless you add an LPK, and high pressure markers are loud. They have a lot of mechanical stuff going on, including a hammer hitting a valve, and a sear sliding against metal. It'll be about the same as an A-5, but you can quiet them down (ported barrel, LPK, rocket cock, etc).

An automag, such as the tac one (base of the longbow) will always be quieter, no hammer, low pressure, not a poppet valve (which are loud), etc.

Just to point out, Automags are high pressure markers, but they're still pretty quite. While for the most part the low-pressure-is-quieter trend holds true it is more the overall design of the marker which wil determine its report. The combination of being a blowback and a having a clamshell body means the Tippmanns are a poor design for achieving a quiet report. Spyders, even though they are high pressure blowbacks, are still quieter than a Tippmann blowback.

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#6 User is offline   Big Dave 

• Heretic
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Big Hungry

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Loud, and they have a good kick to them. I still use them though.
"I would rather lose every game honorably than win knowing I am a cheater."
"Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."
"Determination, perseverance, resolution... Resurrection"

#7 User is offline   Wakewarrior7 

• The one and only
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wakewarrior7

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

well... at least no one has posted quieter than a longbow, or I might have to post up a pic of a ball head hammer and add a plus sign. Next there would be a pic of a knee cap.
IPB Image
Wake will you have my baby? - DavidP1013
High End Marker People (H.E.M.P.) Member 007

#8 User is offline   BONUSROUND 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BONUSROUND

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

The last thing I would ever call my 98C is quiet! If you can't go quiet then go loud. I tell people that they will know why when I open fire, the noise alone can be singled out over all the other markers in a fire fight a 1/4 mile away. Mine is a machine gun, not a sniper rifle. With a RT, fine tuning, and a lot of skill, the HALO TSA backman reads that I can shoot 18 rounds a second and it weighs in at around 8 LBS dry (no paint and no tank); with paint and tank it is about 12 LBS! :laugh: . I'm so glad that I run a coiled remote with it. The HALO B is the only hopper that I own that will keep up and not chop.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Audacity is a sword that needs to be drawn from time to time.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...ew.asp?id=46213

#9 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Yes the Tippman is incredibly loud, period. I used one for the first time in 10 years earlier this year and I lost some hearing for afew hours in my right ear.

#10 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

They're pretty loud, but with a good barrel and a red dot, it don't matter because whoever you're shooting at is gonna be out by the second shot anyways.

#11 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

And what about the five people around him when they hear this cannon of a marker fire?

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#12 User is offline   Funka Wunka 

• Beta Force
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Funka Wunka

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

I don't care about the report of my tippmann. The games I play in everyones fighting off 300 people. Large scale battles are loud. Plus if theres 300-800 people running at you along with 2 tanks and a helicopter overhead it will not matter.

#13 User is offline   russc 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

View PostBlueDragonX, on May 9 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

I voted elephants because they're pretty darned loud.

View Postaqua_scummm, on May 9 2007, 11:10 AM, said:

Just to point out, Automags are high pressure markers, but they're still pretty quite. While for the most part the low-pressure-is-quieter trend holds true it is more the overall design of the marker which wil determine its report. The combination of being a blowback and a having a clamshell body means the Tippmanns are a poor design for achieving a quiet report. Spyders, even though they are high pressure blowbacks, are still quieter than a Tippmann blowback.

Automags are not high pressure guns. The back of the Valve is an integrated regulator which brings pressure down below 400 psi. Mag valves have even been hooked directly to scuba tanks. If there wasn't a reg in place, the balls would explode instantly before exiting the barrel. Automags like high pressure inputs because it increases the recharge of the reg and valve. This doesn't mean that the gun is actually shooting at a high pressure.

#14 User is offline   Fro98c 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:T-CAL

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

I've got a 98c that was the loudest gun on the field. I got a 14" st!ffi barell for it and now the people i'm shooting at don't know i've even shot. (depending on how far away they are.) going to get a rocket cock II real soon. When my gun was loud though I would just wait for someone else on the field to start firing before I did so the enemy couldn't tell the difference.
"Live for something or you'll die for nothing."
"Live forever....or die trying."

#15 User is offline   WoodsSniper 

• R.I.P. Dime
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

Don't listen to those who voted as loud as elephants. Yes the 98c is a lound marker, but it IS quieter than an a-5. My good budy has an a-5 and I have a 98c; his is considerably louder than mine. A 98c is not nearly as quiet as a longbow, but when people say a 98c is to loud to snipe I just have to disagree. Yes, my 98c is louder than my phantom or a longbow, but you CAN make a 98c a quiet marker. You just can't make it as quiet as others. I made mine quiet.

A quiet barrel, polished internals,rocket cock, a low pressure system will help quiet it. Also, in my opinion an expaintion chamber quiets the 98c also.

This post has been edited by WoodsSniper: 11 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel. - Jimi Hendrix
Feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=164293

My teams home field, take a look, especially if your from Mississippi
http://thomaspaintball.weebly.com/index.html

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic