• You cannot reply to this topic

A Note on Milsim Gear From a police dispatcher Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

Exactly. It's not the cops you need to worry about (for the most part), it's the neighbors. the police are familiar with guns and will hopefully spot the discrepancies like an ASA and a hopper. As long as you don't act like an idiot things will be fine and many officers will let it go as a misunderstanding.

Transferring markers from one trunk to another, even if they are in a case, in ANY public location is just down right foolish. If anyone sees it, even if "guns" aren't seen, it could be mistaken as a drug deal.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#32 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

Well, I'm seriously glad that the whole paragraph wasnt on how paintball guns are bad, and that we are destroying the world as we know it with our army games and violent acts of horrer and such.

Im even more hoppy to see ( read really) that the guy had come up with realistic suggestions on how to fix things, and how to avoid communication mistakes between the player and law enforcment officer.

and yea. Puzuma imagine getting a call at suppertime from the police telling you that your kid is an gun running, crack dealing street thug.

#33 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Said OP is a paintballer as well, he just happens to have a better point of view being on both sides of the issue.

#34 User is offline   pbpdhammy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:pbpdhammy

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Well, speaking as a police officer I have to say if someone has anything looking like a gun in there hand STAY VERY STILL. Any sudden movement WILL be considered agressive. There have been an untold number of people shot because they have fake guns. I have run across this myself. I have drawn my gun several times on people who have had fake guns. This is even worst at night. I know most people dont play at night but this can be a factor after leaving a field late or during transport. Its even a good idea to mention the markers when pulled over. Cops get nervous around guns that are not theirs.

#35 User is offline   protocoach 

• Is there redemption? No. No there is not.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:PROTOCOACH

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

View Postgoathunter, on Feb 17 2008, 09:26 PM, said:

In my opinion, most of the average public is so uninformed and paranoid that anything with a trigger frame and a barrel is an "evil gun." They don't know what a paintball marker looks like.

Yep, politics did a heck of alot of good for the general populace.Teach people from a young age everything with a trigger is evil and people aren't even smart enough to recognize the OBVIOUS differences between firearms and PB guns.
But then again I'm biased, I was raised in a household that taught me common sense around firearms.The average "Joe" these days has no such luxury.

Problem is, if the adrenaline's pumping, damn near anything can look like a gun. Remember the Amadou Diallo case? The cops were on edge and when he tried to take out his ID, they shot him. When your system's pumping like that, you go into a temporary state that renders you effectively autistic. (Read [u]Blink[/])

It's safer to just be smart. Leave the gun in a case except when you're either inside your house or actually at the field, no matter how realistic or laser-pistol looking it is. When you travel with it, throw it in the trunk in the case. Basic precautions.
Oklahoma D-Day '05 (352nd ID), '06 (352nd PJ), '07 (352nd PJ), '08 (352nd PJ), '09 (352nd PJ). It was a good run.

#36 User is offline   IcedNIGHT FOX 

• Santa's bringing some "Christmas joy" to al-Qaida
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE NIGHT FOX

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Well one of my friends had just baught a BT4 Banshee (looks like an AK-47) and he was posting some pictures of him posing with it on his Facebook profile. Two weeks later he is called down to the office at his school where the police were present and they thought he was some kind of school-shooter nutjob. This is sort of different that all of your stories because it was a picture and was rather clear it was a paintball gun. He was wearing a mask and jersey with the air tank and hopper on the gun. The police even went so far as trying to convince him he was ex-Army and currently a terrorist (he's a 15 year-old white-kid). After he told them it was a paintball gun they were acting like they knew that all along and they were just "testing" him. Whatever the hell that means.

He didn't get into any trouble but he was abit annoyed at the police.

#37 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

View PostIcedNIGHT FOX, on Mar 12 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

Well one of my friends had just baught a BT4 Banshee (looks like an AK-47) and he was posting some pictures of him posing with it on his Facebook profile. Two weeks later he is called down to the office at his school where the police were present and they thought he was some kind of school-shooter nutjob. This is sort of different that all of your stories because it was a picture and was rather clear it was a paintball gun. He was wearing a mask and jersey with the air tank and hopper on the gun. The police even went so far as trying to convince him he was ex-Army and currently a terrorist (he's a 15 year-old white-kid). After he told them it was a paintball gun they were acting like they knew that all along and they were just "testing" him. Whatever the hell that means.

He didn't get into any trouble but he was abit annoyed at the police.

My profile pic is the same here as on my facebook. You cant really tell its a paintball gun though...Anyways, I always have my markers in a duffel bag or in my car. I target shoot in my back yard occasionally, but my neighbors are used to it. A lady did come into my backyard one day and tried to take my BB pistol, telling me that I shouldnt be allowed to have it. It turns out she was mentally ill and escaped from the hospital or something though

This post has been edited by -SMITTY-: 12 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

#38 User is offline   BlackWolf214 

• Tactical EMT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BlackWolf214

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

As stated many times here common sense should be observed when transporting or using your markers.

I do get into Milsim and I have a few personal rules that I never break when transporting or storing my marker.

1) Marker is stored broken down as much as possible. My gear bags are clearly markered with a piece of tape and "Paintball Marker Inside" written on it.

2) Never bring the marker out in public unless at a designated playing area.

3) I have a bright ORANGE barrel sock when it is out in a designated play area.

4) When transporting my marker to the playing field I do NOT wear my BDU's I change when I get to the field. Don't give the cops any reason to suspect you of being a militaristic looney.

5) If I am pulled over with my gear I tell the cop first thing what I am transporting. They do appreciate that.
Official Sabre #144 (I guess) "If we can't do it, It doesn't need to be done!"
Slammin' and Sneakin' -- Sabre/Sniper hybrid
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - Emergency Medical Services motto

#39 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

Heck, with some of the firearms that are hitting the market nowadays (prototypes and production models) it is getting harder and harder to determine what is and isn't an actual gun.

There are plenty of cops & military that play airsoft or paintball (or both) - but you're right in saying that what you have to worry about is the neighbors & any situation where there is any uncertainty as to what you are doing (like pulling out a marker or mil-sim in a public place) - that is what causes the major problems & results in people getting shot.

As a general rule, markers should be put away unless you are inside your house, in an enclosed backyard (unless you have friendly neighbors - then regular yards are fine), or on a paintball field. Cops are trained to look for things out of the ordinary - and seeing someone pulling out a mil-sim AK47 in a McDonald's parking lot is going to raise a lot more than just eyebrows to a police officer.

#40 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Goldenhand

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

Well, My one neighbor owns an A-5, the one across the street is a cop, but knows us really well, and next to him is a friend of mine who used to play paintball, so I should be good.

I'm wondering why they went to hide them too...

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#41 User is offline   pbpdhammy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:pbpdhammy

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:11 AM

We were sent an email the other day at the police station of real gun made to look fake. They were pink and orange some were in that realy bad camo they use on toys and some had the tips painted orange.

#42 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:12 AM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Feb 17 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

1. I believe one should ALWAYS play in a commercial field designated for paintball whenever possible, to avoid confusion, shock, and fear in the reaction of the casual passer-by. It may cost more, but it is loads safer, and the cops will EXPECT to see devices that look like guns there.

2. If you are going to play "outlaw" ball, your playing field should be as far away from any passers-by as possible, and should still be marked as a paintball playing area with signs, ropes and whatever other boundaries one can think of. (Also, be sure to chrono!!!) My advice is make sure you have the EXPRESS permission of the property owner to play there, then call your local police and advise them of when and where you'll be playing . DO NOT play in your front yard, in your neighborhood, in the patch of woods between houses, and the like. You are just inviting trouble. Use common sense.

3.Wherever you play, be sure to use barrel blocking devices of a BRIGHT COLOR to attempt to distinguish that the marker is a toy when not in use.

4. If you are confronted by the police at any time while you are playing, or while you have your paint marker in hand, make NO sudden or threatening moves. Do WHATVER the officer(s) tell you to do, even if it means throwing down your marker. DO NOT get yourself killed over this game, or your marker.

All but part 2 apply to airsoft. The reason I'm leaving part 2 out is because "outlaw" airsoft should never be played, ever. It's an incredibly stupid thing to do, and affects both PB and AS.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#43 User is offline   Shadow Sparda 

• Trust me. I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow Sparda

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

I live in rural Kentucky. Most of the time, when I transport my guns, shoot around, or anything of the sort, it isnt considered to be anything extreme. Sure, the officers know what paintball guns look like because they play with us. If Im out shooting around and my neighbors hear, they usually pull out a live firearm and shoot just to make more noise than me. Yeah. Its messed up, but I enjoy it.

As for the need for Mil-Sim, I can see it for some parts. Sure, alot of kids do it to look cool. Personally, it helps my game. Right now my setup includes the new MP5 SD styled BT Delta Elite. Im just more comfortable with my guns and at peak performance on the field overall when I have something that feels familiar in my hands and Im sure that most other Mil-Sim players feel the same.

Airsoft...Thats just a disaster waiting to happen. Sure, I can take the ASA off of my gun and use a Tac Cap, but it still has its distingushing marks. Airsoft guns, when the orange tip and gun are painted or made of metal, look exactly like the real firearm. Sure, they look cool, but it's just a form of tag using weapons with more of a scare to the general public. The fear of guns is really a shame too. Just because radical people with ulterior motives can get ahold of automatic weapons with the greatest of ease doesnt mean that every gun is ment to kill you if you look at it. Damn T.V. and politicians.

Just my .02$
My Feedback

"So screw that. I ain't dying" - Tree Fitty
You're right bub. You've got a whole community who will never let that happen. In your memory. In your honor.

#44 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

View Postpc_gamer321, on Feb 17 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

would it be safe to just have some target practice in your backyard though at like a target?

NO

#45 User is offline   F-3 

• Alive in the SUPERΠИKИOMИ
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

-I don't wear camouflage or military uniforms, period.
-I no longer use any furniture on my BT-4.
-Markers stay in storage at all times, except to go play or perform maintenance. Hoppers, air tanks, and barrels are only attached at the field.
-Markers only leave the house in a bag and trunk, and I don't take them out into the yard.
-I only play on fields. The one exception to this has been my at my cousin's in upstate NY, which is very remote (We play in a roughly 4-6 acre area in the middle of over 80 acres of private, posted property).

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users