Special Ops Paintball: Where do you test fire your marker?? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where do you test fire your marker?? when you live an apartment... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

I just moved into an apartment and my biggest problem with that is I am a "tinkerer" so I am constantly fiddling with my marker and need to test it.

Now, I bought rebels for indoor firing...even though my hoppers sometimes don't like them. But I don't know what to do about the noise. I don't want to be a bad neighbor, but I live in a fairly urban area so I can't just go out in the woods.

When I used to live in an apartment, I'd sometimes drive a little ways away from my apartment, and pull behind an ice rink or shopping center and fire off some rounds...but I was always afraid that cops would show up.

So where do you apartment dwellers tinker?

I was thinking I could go to a field to test it, but I don't think fields like having people show up at their chrono station when they aren't paying to actually play.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#2 User is offline   voodoo 

• Black Ops Apocalypse Rogue Squad (B.O.A.R.S)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Voodoo

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

A buddy of mine who lives in a apartment tests his in the shower. His bath is an internal room. When he is done test firing (into a bucket with a couple of paper towels in the bottom to reduce splatter) he uses the shower head (shower massage) to rinse down the shower and has had no complaints. He fires it two or three times, adjusts, and then fires a few more rounds until the tinkering is complete.

Hope that this helps!
Posted Image
~XTREME REIGN~B.O.A.R.S

#3 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Interesting.

I'd think the bathroom would make it louder. Hmm... Thanks!
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#4 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

If you're not running paint through the marker use a barrel swab, just put one side in the barrel and fold the other side against the outside of the barrel. That cuts the noise down allot. Also a two liter soda bottle with holes cut in it and filled with old rags works well too. That last one has dual purposes... (trying not to use the word silencer.) :facepalm:
Posted Image

37sps.com

#5 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Invest in a barrel chrono ( fairly cheap ) and a few re-balls ( also cheap ). you can check your BPS, or FPS, and you won't make a mess. As far as the sound, a buddy of mine used to fire into a pile of pillows, packed around his barrel also.

This post has been edited by klaatu: 03 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

#6 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

pvc pipe with a screw off end, shoot into the pipe and unscrew the end to clean it out.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#7 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 02 March 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Interesting.

The bathroom makes it louder for you because the sound echoes around in the room. Thus, less of the sound makes it to your neighbors. ;)
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

View Postvoodoo, on 02 March 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

A buddy of mine who lives in a apartment tests his in the shower. His bath is an internal room. When he is done test firing (into a bucket with a couple of paper towels in the bottom to reduce splatter) he uses the shower head (shower massage) to rinse down the shower and has had no complaints. He fires it two or three times, adjusts, and then fires a few more rounds until the tinkering is complete.

Hope that this helps!

Thats actually a pretty good idea...might have to try that myself...

#9 User is offline   Simmons 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostSilent-7, on 04 March 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

View Postaslanprime, on 02 March 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Interesting.

The bathroom makes it louder for you because the sound echoes around in the room. Thus, less of the sound makes it to your neighbors. ;)

I don't think it works that way.

Now I must exit this thread before I make an inappropriate joke.
Work hard. Play hard.

#10 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostSimmons, on 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

I don't think it works that way.

Hmmmm, well I didn't sit down and work this out or anything (I did take a 500-level acoustics course last semester... :P ).
If you were to shoot the shower walls directly or some such thing, then the walls themselves would be the source of the sound, and thus it would indeed be very loud for anyone on the other side of said wall. But if we assume for a moment that the sound is being produced by the vibration of a bucket (whether from within a bathroom or not) then the more acoustic energy that can be reflected by the walls the better.

I will readily concede, however, that the best solution for all involved would be walls that absorb the incident waves. But lining one's shower with thick, porous materials sort of ruins the "easy clean-up" feature of using a shower in the first place... :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 05 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

or of taking a shower

#12 User is offline   STRIP3Sosu 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

As a college student at Ohio State, I used to live in an house with some of my buddies. I used to test stuff in the basement. Now being in an apartment, things have gotten a little more challenging. I now test fire my markers by covering the breach and shooting into my couch cushions. Otherwise, I drive out to a secluded spot alittle off campus and shoot a hopper to make sure everything is working. As always, I am careful not leave traces; i make sure I shoot into the ground.

#13 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

Best thing I saw was a traffic cone shoved into the opening of a steel folding cchair with a 90* pipe fitting at the small end of the cone going into a bucket below. Stand a few feet back and fire into the wide mouth of the cone. Paint will be directed to the back, where it will hit the turn and fall into the bucket. Soundwise though, do what others have said. I fire into a couch cushion or wrap t shirts around the muzzle when i dry fire

Sent from my Microwave using Tapatalk and super heated water molecules
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#14 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostSTRIP3Sosu, on 07 March 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

As a college student at Ohio State, I used to live in an house with some of my buddies. I used to test stuff in the basement. Now being in an apartment, things have gotten a little more challenging. I now test fire my markers by covering the breach and shooting into my couch cushions. Otherwise, I drive out to a secluded spot alittle off campus and shoot a hopper to make sure everything is working. As always, I am careful not leave traces; i make sure I shoot into the ground.

I used to do that as well. There was an ice arena nearby and I would drive around to the back and fire off into these woods. But no I'm in Cali, and there aren't really any "secluded" areas around. I'd have to drive pretty far or up into the mountains or something. And the last thing I need is a cop rushing to the scene because someone reported a person "firing a gun"..that'll get me shot dead REAL quick.

The past couple days I had to empty a tank that had a faulty reg on it....I fired it off into some foam mattress stuff...still loud though. I even tried a rolled up sleeping bag, and that wasn't too bad.

I do have rebels that I can use to test hoppers and such indoors...fire them into pillows and such. But the chrono I have won't work indoors, needs a great deal of light. So to actually chrono, I'll need to find another solution. Some place I can go during the day to test fire. I could try to call the closest field and see if they'll let me just go to their chrono area for a little bit to test fire....or I could just pay the $30 field fee...but it'll have to be a BYOP field because I ain't paying a field fee PLUS buying a case of paint just to test my markers.

And be careful with reballs. I now have a pillow with holes in it... :facepalm:

#15 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

you might find this useful. Im sure you could adapt the setup or make it more portable. Obviously, this wont reduce the sound, but if you do it during the day or early afternoon people might not get as upset.

Wow totally forgot to link the video...lol.

This post has been edited by Benaiah: 16 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

2 Samuel 22

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users