Special Ops Paintball: high, medium or low ground - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

high, medium or low ground which do you think is better for snipeing Rate Topic: -----

Poll: high, medium or low ground (56 member(s) have cast votes)

which do you think is better

1. high (24 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. medium (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. low (9 votes [16.07%])

Percentage of vote: 16.07%

4. any (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FAST-FINGER 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:FAST-FINGER

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

i recommend any because you can get someone out in any place. tell why you chose that area for snipeing
robert aldrich

#2 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Ive found that hight does not have as much effect as does ground cover.

Bushes and fallen trees have better cover than any low or highspot.

But to talk about what you want.

each one has its own advantages and disadvantages

High:
advantages:
ability to have a better field overveiw, can incease shot distance, enemies have to travel uphill at you
Disadvantages:
Often easily flanked, does not have to most ground cover, more supceptible to ordinace attacks such as grenades.

Medium:
Advantages:
Decent ground cover, often heavily traveled
Disadvantages:
Could be more easy to spot a person, lower and higher grounds will have a advantage against the middle ground, often hiding spots are well known.

Low:
Advantages:
Usually lots of groundcover, Great place to spot targets.
Disadvantages:
its low so theres a possiblity for higher ground to have better angles.

Thats a basic list I think I would say any becasue I play dagger and I often have to use all the terrain to my advantage and a ditch or creekbed is a quick escape into lower ground to avoid fire and allows you to see whats coming, but a tower or hill allows people such as a commander to obsrve the feild and spot out targets.

In short the best ground is all the ground
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#3 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:11 AM

I would say that in most cases the high ground is going to be most beneficial, but that will not always be the case. A bald bluff in the middle of a field, for instance, is not going to be as good as a dry creek bed with good high banks and cover. It all depends on the situation, but if the circumstances permit, by all means go for the high ground. It gives you better line of site, better range, keeps you out of the natural line of site for those at a lower position, and allows you to defend your position more easily if you happen to be at the field border.
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#4 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• To conquer fear, you must become fear.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Urban Ninja

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

As stated above, each has its advantages and disadvantages. I personally do not like the high ground. A problem with the high ground is that its the classic sniper position. If me and my buddies are walking along, and the guy in front of me gets his face splattered, im gonna dive for cover, and then look up towards the nearest hill or bump on the ground or whatever. Everyone thinks that a sniper will take the high ground. Who is honestly going to look downhill after the first guy gets shot. Maybe after like the second teammate of yours gets taken out you'll realize the angle the shots are coming from, and then decide to look in that valley where that oddly shaped bush is... a good idea when "sniping" is to be in the unexpected position. people expect the high ground, but it is nice and useful, just dont expect to stay hidden too long. Middle ground can lin up some really nice shots. Sometimes the high ground makes you lead your shots, because most likely the people are walking past you, at a distance. On middle ground you can hide practically on teh trail where people are walking, and get straight shots, where they keep walking and are only getting father away, not moving left to right. But, being exactly on eye level with your opponents means you may be found before you even get a shot off. After the panic of there being a sniper around, it doesnt really matter where you are, they are basically looking everywhere, but will probably scan high to low, so be ready incase they see you. Low ground is essentially the best for staying hidden the longest. in low ground you wont cast a sihouette, you can generally blend in better, and once again, it's unexpected. Surprise is key, and your position is as important as making sure you're not wearing neon green. It can literally keep you hidden, or completely give you away. But, the situation is important. Cloudy day? Maybe you'll go high, cause your silhouette wont show, Or maybe you'll go mid-low, cause itll be darker down there, and aid your concealment. Super sunny? maybe mid will give you away too much, maybe high is a good idea, cause the sun is bright, and people might not see you with it blinding them, but then again, im sure someone's wearing smoke lenes and will be undeterred, pick out your silhouette, and shoot you. It all depend on how you feel, and the exact situation you are in. But me, personally, i like low to mid.

#5 User is offline   Anti-Hero13 

• Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:kimmle

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

I'm not going into as much insane detail that anyone else went into (no offense) but I think the most important factor is cover. But say that you had 3 different spots all with the same amount and type of cover. The higher ground would be better. First of all you don't have to shoot against gravity. Your opponents do if you are higher than they are. You can most likely see around your position better because you are higher up. Thats all I can really come up with so far. Hope it helped.
aut viam inveniam aut faciam- I'll either find a way or make one

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

View PostAnti-Hero13, on Apr 2 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

I'm not going into as much insane detail that anyone else went into (no offense) but I think the most important factor is cover. But say that you had 3 different spots all with the same amount and type of cover. The higher ground would be better. First of all you don't have to shoot against gravity. Your opponents do if you are higher than they are. You can most likely see around your position better because you are higher up. Thats all I can really come up with so far. Hope it helped.

I agree, except that from what I've read, a good sniper not only chooses his position, but also decides from what distance he will attempt to hit his target, correct? IE; a sniper stakes out a trail and plans to hit the target as he rounds a certain corner. I suppose such exact planning may not be feasible, but in some situations, ANY position could be used if you are sure to reach the target. As many of my esteemed colleagues have pointed out, cover is the more important factor in choosing a hide.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:27 AM

i like high ground because of the line of sight, as well as the cover that the crest of a hill provides [depending on steepness] .
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#8 User is offline   Mastino 

• Let Loose the Dogs of War!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MASTIFF

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

There is no right or wrong answer here to me. Each individual has his/her preference on where they want to shoot from. A good sniper is not picky as to where he/she will shoot from. They will pick the spot that puts them in the best possible cover for concealment and be close enough to be able to make the shot and extract safely. There are lots of factors involved when a sniper chooses a spot. Wind direction, wind strength, distance, elevation, obstructions, how many targets are there? can I get the hell out of here quick and if things go sour? These are just a few that popped in my mind.
The Army of One
One man, One rifle, One shot, One kill

#9 User is offline   Shenkyei Rambo 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Shenkyei Rambo

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:20 PM

everyone can vote for any because generally shooting at a person you will eventually hit him. msot people will vote for high ground because you get slightly more distance being higher up then everyone else and people shooting from below have maybe a few more things in the way while the ball is travelling upwards. in higher ground you can arc your shots to shoot above cover so there can be slightly less objects in the trajectory path depending on how high you are in the first place. if you are sniping at someone, ground height shoudnt matter as much as long as you can accurately predict your shots path by compensating for distance, and wind restistance and direction. if you can do that and get one shot kills then ground should matter less than almost anything else.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(").. COPY BUNNY INTO SIG AND HELP HIM ACHIEVE WORLD DOMINATION!!!

#10 User is offline   Anti Hero 

• Pain makes me laugh, seriously.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:λNTI-HERO

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Truthfully it depends, but I like lower ground more, because there's more plant life such as trees, shrubs and bushes to conceal you.

#11 User is offline   the unamed 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:egodeflater2

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:59 AM

I prefer any ground because you can get an elimination on any ground, but I do like low a little better than the rest because when I'm lower than the people walking past me or at the same level they are less likely to see me (probably because I play with new players that aren't used to having to look for me) than if I was on a hill where a person sees more of the ground in front of him because it is brought up to eye level. Also when on high ground i don't really care about the distance advantage because for the most part i'm not shooting at the people in front of me, I leave that to my friend with an electro and two fast fingers. Most of my eliminations come from the other team walking past me and I shoot them in the back which means technically if I was on high ground I would be shooting against gravity. This is just my oppinion on the subject.

#12 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Low is better, for the simple reason that people don't tend to look down when scanning for enemies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users