• You cannot reply to this topic

Just a noob starting out Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gun$ling3r 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sniper Fox

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Ok, ever since i heard about paintballing i have been eager to try it. But, since i had low $$ i had to just drool at paintball gear. Now that i have a job an $$, I was wondering what type of gear i should get. The idea of a paintall sniper is what i wish i could be, but i think it would be more pracitcal to just buy a average gun say a tipman, and get the general feal for paintball before i specilize in anything. Any suggestions for a newb in terms of gear and how to get stared?

#2 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

You are right... jumping into a sniper loadout isn't a very good idea.

My best advice is to go out to a field and rent a gun. It'll probably be a 98 Custom. Play a few games with that, altering your position, to get a feel for how you really want to play. Once this is done, you can then begin choosing your main gear by going from store to store and holding and getting a feel for all the options.

If you play outlawball and absolutely have to have your very own marker, then I'd suggest either a Spyder or a Tippmann. This way if you really don't like it, you didn't waste too much cash.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#3 User is offline   Tomcat 

• Empire BT Rangers - US Team Lead
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tomcat001

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:09 AM

Yea, play a little and get a feel for your position(s). Once you know where on the field you'll generally be or what you be doing, you can hone in on gear.

Just have fun with it. A cheaper but better marker than a Tippmann would be a Ben Tippmann. A BT-4 Combat is the 98C type marker and costs $20 less and is more upgradeable as a MIL-SIM than an 98C. Its acutally an A5/98C hybrid. Same or better quality/reliability.

Have fun figuriing out what you want to be on the woodsball field.

Good Luck.
Team Lead, EMPIRE BT RANGERS - US Contingent.
Lieutenant

#4 User is offline   paint rocker 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:paint rocker

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:13 AM

I wouldnt recommend to start as a sniper because it gets pretty expensive.... if your a harcore sniper you could get a longbow but thats a lot of money to start out with.... Its your choice just do some research.

#5 User is offline   Epic Change 

• XAPB.com
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

i will jay welcome

u shoukld start out as a sabre because that has all the pos. put togather

i spellws wewwly goods
Hello everybody. Im back.

#6 User is offline   Gyrocopter 

• Gyronator
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gyrocopter

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

Well, everyone else pretty much said all of the essentiels, so just remember to try before you buy. Try different positions aswell so you can find out which one works for you.
P.S. paintball=!@#loads of fun
I got a crate of grenades for christmas!!!

#7 User is offline   Dark Wolf 

• elite newb
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Wolf

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:16 AM

yea 98c a5 bt mr1 mr2 mr3 all good. my advice is that the only gun you should get thats "speedball"style gun is the ion. spyders r very good but they r just to much of a hassle when the batterie goes dead as someone charges me.(not fun)
look at me, I am an attention whore

#8 User is offline   Montresor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Montresor

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

I apologise to those who desperately need to lighten up.

Buy a good mask. I'd tell you which ones are good, but that might OFFEND someone. Just keep in mind that with masks, you actually get what you pay for. Some are good, others aren't, and everyone is entitled to their opinion except for me.

Daeorn, am I to believe that you actually took me to mean that all who do not share my opinion perform fellatio? And is it really my fault that the esteemed moderators failed to predict and censure the use of the word 'rooster'?

What I love, however, is that I was censured by Captain Obvious. Oh, the irony.

Disclaimer: Those who do not agree with my opinions are entitled to them, and do not necessarily perform lewd acts by choice, regardless of my claims.

This post has been edited by Montresor: 15 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

Nemo me impune lacessit

Minnesota/Nodak? Visit www.valleypaintball.com the ONLY place to ball in the Red River Valley.

#9 User is offline   Daeorn 

• Everywhere at Once
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:DAEORN

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Montresor, that kind of language is definately uncalled for here.
Paintball is a game who's equipment is all felt out by preference. While those two masks are fine, they aren't the end all be all nor is it your standing to tell anyone what to wear or to insult those who don't.
"Don't worry about finding me, worry about me finding you."
Team Voodoo Scenario Paintball
"Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well."

#10 User is offline   ClumsyNinja 

• Eschew Obfuscation
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Grimace

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Welcome to the forums! And to paintball! I can't really argue with anything already said, but on the side of actually playing the game, click the "Web Dog Radio" link in my sig and bookmark that page, then watch every single video that Tyger has on there.
"Hi, I'm not the local nut, but ClumsyNinja is..."--Styro

CONFESSIONS OF AN ARMCHAIR NINJA..NOWUPDATED!!

#11 User is offline   Gunner.30 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gunner.50

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

i agree with what ClumsyNinja said those are very good videos for new players and old ones i would get a tippy but thas just me never had a problem with em but it all comes down to prefrence (sp) and what you like the best and is confortable
gunner
SPEC. OPS. SWORD BEACH '07 *INVASION *OF* NORMANDY*
My grandma always used to say," Some men wear makeup, some men carry big guns, which one would you rather be?"-JKLNHYD
BROADSWORD
-we bring the fire to the firefight

#12 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

View PostGun$ling3r, on Aug 15 2006, 03:00 AM, said:

Ok, ever since i heard about paintballing i have been eager to try it. But, since i had low $$ i had to just drool at paintball gear. Now that i have a job an $$, I was wondering what type of gear i should get. The idea of a paintall sniper is what i wish i could be, but i think it would be more pracitcal to just buy a average gun say a tipman, and get the general feal for paintball before i specilize in anything. Any suggestions for a newb in terms of gear and how to get stared?

Being practical is a wise move. Start out with some basic gear that is easily upgraded or modified, and if/as your interest in paintball develops, you can add accessories and gear as you go along. Technically speaking, you can play any position without all the associated gear, but as you gravitate towards one, gear specific to that role will enhance your performance and experience. Many people are hypnotized by the sniper mystique, only to find painball sniping it is not like what you see in the movies, and most just really don't have the patience or discipline to play it well or enjoy it. As others here have said, try out a few positions and see how things develop before you make decision.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   X Jackson X 

• Dye Hard Speedballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Do you know if you want to play speedball or woods ball. You will want to try them both out also before you choose your marker.

And welcom to The Forums.
IPB Image

#14 User is offline   Ze J 

• Sniper/Dagger Hybrid
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

I would definately get a Tippmann. The reason being is at the moment there are lots and lots of upgrades for them, theres more upgrades than the spyder series, or BT. The overall marker is about the same quality as all of them, it just has more upgrades. If you decide to get a Tippmann, I suggest looking at the link in my sig that says, "A5 vs 98C/CP Info", It will tell you the pros of all the new tippmann markers (excluding the C-3). If I were you I would start with either a 98C or CP though.

#15 User is offline   Dark Wolf 

• elite newb
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Wolf

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

who was he insulting? not me right?
look at me, I am an attention whore

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic