• You cannot reply to this topic

How close is too close? Retrothread #19

#1 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

So I know that some people like to play up to point blank. Other people use a 10 ft surrender rule. How close is too close?

As a bonus, what do you do about a guy who doesn't offer a surrender? What about a guy who refuses to accept a surrender?
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#2 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

I only go as close as I'd want to be hit. And not surrendering is never an issue. When bunkering someone with the intent to make them surrender, I always intend to shoot them. I never go in hoping he will surrender, I go in ready to shoot him. I just happen to yell surrender before my trigger is pulled. When I start to round the corner I'm yelling surrender and the trigger is half way pulled. if you wanted to surrender you wouldn't think about it, you'd yell back pretty fast.

I treat paintball as a training ground for real life. I'd never go into a situation involving deadly force with a question. I go in prepared to do what needs to be done pray I dont have to.

#3 User is offline   mrfreez82 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

When we play at our local paintball field the only surender we use is when you point your gun directly on the guys back. Otherwise we shoot each other pretty much at point blank range (usually not under 10 feet but is does happen) of course at such short ranges we usually try NOT to shoot on the head. And to answer your question they guy that doesnt surrender is shot without hesitation

This post has been edited by mrfreez82: 09 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 21 September 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

So I know that some people like to play up to point blank. Other people use a 10 ft surrender rule. How close is too close?

When I started to play the rule was 6 feet or less before you have to offer surrender. to me that's plenty close

As a bonus, what do you do about a guy who doesn't offer a surrender?

Depends. Is it a first offence? Probably needs a reminder if he's a new player. If it's a regular player and is consistently within the surrender zone, talk to the ref and have him ejected from the field for a safety violation.

What about a guy who refuses to accept a surrender?

Shot him. It's his choice to deal with the pain and welt. Just avoid hitting them in the head/face.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am very much of the opinion, that unless you can get your gun barrel into my ribs...I'm not surrendering...I generally wont' try to surrender someone without sticking my gun in their ribs, but I also occasionally yell for a noob to surrender if I don't want to risk getting to close and ending up having to shoot them from point blank, everyone else on the field, we just play if you want to surrender you better have the gun up against us.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#6 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

I once came up from behind on somebody lying down. I was about 2 ft from him and said surrender. He turned around in a surprised way and shot me up. Again he was surprised. Would I offer surrender again? Yes. Just because he's unsafe doesn't mean I should be.

The kid understood he was wrong and apologized. Safety first is the golden rule. We shouldn't brainwash ourselves that there are exceptions.

#7 User is offline   oldhunter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:smoke guarde

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

When the barrel is touching the other person. You might not want to pull the trigger.
repugno nex est morior inritus

#8 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

View Postoldhunter, on 11 June 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

When the barrel is touching the other person. You might not want to pull the trigger.

My friends dad played once with us, and he grabbed his sons barrel (he stuck it out of a small opening trying to shoot his dad)and his son shots his hand a few times. If you grab the barrel and get shot, it doesn't hurt that bad for some reason.

#9 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

In the uk we either disallow close up shooting totally (rental games) or allow for surrender & barrel tag rules

In a rental game there will be a rule on proximity. We don't have compulsory surrender rules, we just say you cannot shoot someone at close proximity in normal rental games

For surrender and barrel tag some scenarios and big games put these into the rules and if not detailed then it comes down to the players involved
I have surrendered players a handful of times (at least once that I remember was with an empty pistol - so I had to offer surrender or stand in front of them reloading!)
On a few occasions I have surrendered myself. Someone has come up upon me and caught me out

Barrel tag often becomes a subject on the forums after an event when someone is noted to have been barrel tagging
We do not always have explicit rules so can be flexible on what we accept. I support the player that can get close to the opposition and they deserve a quiet barel tag if noone is noticing them
A number of players are happy with flexible barrel tag rules, so you don't have to tap with a barrel, don't have to be loaded, don't have to have a gun in your hand, could have a rubber chicken
Some players however assume the barrel tagger must be cheating - an unarmed tagger must only have got through by impersonating a marshal or playing dead, they want proof that the tagger could have shot them etc

I consider a barrel tag valid (unless they are explicitly cheating such as arm up playing dead)
And a surrender to be an option

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users