• You cannot reply to this topic

Mag Question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hubb 

• Let's do dis!!
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Hubb

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Allright. The other day, I acquired a used Automag. Wonderful piece of work. It has a few minor problems, but nothing that can't be taken care of. But there is one problem that I can't seem to find an answer for, so I'm hoping you guys can help out.

The mag is a classic style with a RT grip frame on it. As I removed the ASA the other day, I realized that there was only one bolt holding it on. Thinking the other bolt was just missing, I tried to screw in a spare, but it wouldn't go. Well, I got to looking at it closer, and it seems that the one that does work has a steel insert inside the ASA hole in the grip. This insert is shaped so that the bolt can be threaded. The other hole did not have this insert.

Does anyone know where I can find one of these threaded inserts (or even know what I'm talking about)? I know I can tap out the aluminum frame and just use a bigger bolt, but I'm trying not to do that.

BTW, once I get the mag up and running the way I want, I may just put my A5 on the market...

This post has been edited by Hubb: 15 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

wait so where you screw in the ASA at the bottom of the Frame (the grip) there is two screw holes, and only one is threaded. while the second is not.

Fair enough. sadly I have no idea where to grab the inserts from. I have never heard of this before. Im sure someone knows about it. unfortunately this part of the forum is kinda slow so response might take awhile.

Best thing you can do is give a Ring to AGD and ask them. They might even have the inserts laying around. and you could go over any other problems also.

#3 User is offline   Hubb 

• Let's do dis!!
  • Pip

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, it is strange. I had to look at it for a little bit to see it. I just figured the aluminum was tapped (like it is in others) and had been stripped out.

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Sorry, I am unaware of any such inserts. I'm still a bit of a mag noob though ;).

You'll get better responses to mag related questions over on mcarterbrown.com & automags.org - if you haven't already posted there.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   Hubb 

• Let's do dis!!
  • Pip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, I posted on MC Brown and got a response. This particular insert is called a helicoil. Apparently, I am missing one. I used to work at a hardware store and I remember them (but that was over 8 years ago, so...). It appears to be quite a simple fix.

In this pic, note how the sizes of the holes are different. The back hole (on the right) is missing the insert, while the insert is visible on the front hole.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   maniacmechanic 

• maniacmechanic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MANIAC MECHANIC

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hubb , it is a simple fix , if you are mechaniclly oriented , it is a Heli-Coil repair , when done right it is stronger than the aluminum
Looks like the bottom of a Benchmark frame
Hank Emery aka maniacmechanic
Team MIXXED BREED
port st. lucie fla originally from West (BG) Virginia
ALL I own are MAG'S , AKA's & a Pump or 2

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users