Special Ops Paintball: tippmann A-5 expantion chamber - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tippmann A-5 expantion chamber how many more shots can i get?

#1 User is offline   tippmann1990 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:weltman16

Post icon  Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

i own an expantion chamber and i cant find how much more efficiant the a-5 is with one compared to without one. can anyone help me :question:
tippmann owners club #131

#2 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

The expansion chamber will allow Co2 more room to expand. You probably won't really notice a shot difference, just less of a cloud of Co2 out the barrel.

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

It depends. Expansion Chambers do not necessarily improve the consistency of any marker.

It all depends on if you were getting a lot liquid CO2 in your marker before hand. You can always tell if liquid CO2 has entered your marker by seeing a large vapor cloud come out the end of your marker. That cloud is liquid CO2 that never expanded fully and is pretty much wasted CO2. If you weren't getting liquid in your marker to begin with you won't notice any benefits of an expansion chamber

Expansion Chambers work by giving CO2 a room to expand a little and possibly warm up some so that it liquid CO2 will vaporize before it enters the marker. They don't always work, they can become flooded, and on unregulated markers like your A-5 they can actually cause some inconsistency.

The whole basis for consistency when using CO2 is to keep the temperature of everything the same. CO2's output pressure is relative to its temperature. Expansion chambers can alter the temperature of CO2 going into the marker and cause some inconsistency. They aren't regulators - just a big vessel for holding air with a lot of surface area. The most consistent setup will be one where both your air tank and marker are the same temperature you are playing in whether that be hot or cold.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Temperature has more effect on shots per fill then an expansion chamber will. So does ROF.

#5 User is offline   MartMan 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MartMan

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

I heard that if I use a remote line that it acts as an expansion chamber, is that true? (I use HPA)

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:42 AM

A remote acts like a small X chamber. As the Co2 has the whole coil to expand. Also helps that usually the tank is mounted vertically then, so NO liquid can get out of the valve unless the person is lying down. So yes, a remote helps a ton with Co2. With HPA, you don't need an X chamber. It is already a gas, and in fact, a x chamber could choke the HPA or create a choke point i should say, possibly causing the marker to starve for air. Remove any x chambers you have if you are using HPA, it isn't needed.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

A remote line is far too little space to act as an expansion chamber.

Don't bother buying an expansion chamber, it's a waste of money. You won't see any real performance increase, and it may make the matter worse with CO2.
Member of Team Akkadian

#8 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

View PostThalion, on Oct 29 2008, 08:20 AM, said:

Don't bother buying an expansion chamber, it's a waste of money. You won't see any real performance increase, and it may make the matter worse with CO2.

On several guns, I've noticed that the gun shoots significantly less snow when using an expansion chamber.

#9 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

That won't necessarily mean it is going to be more consistent.

So long as you keep your air tank and the marker roughly the same temperature as what you are playing in an expansion chamber isn't necessary - snow or not. Simply keeping your tank upright most of time instead of always pointing it at the ground usually keeps liquid out of the marker.

When people talk about huge inconsistency with CO2 it is almost always because they are playing with gear that is radically different in temperature than the environment they are playing in. People will put a freezing cold tank that was just filled on a marker that has been baking in their car and blame CO2 for being inconsistent. Liquid getting into the marker doesn't play a huge role, the amount of liquid getting into the marker stays pretty consistent throughout the day without an expansion chamber.
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#10 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MOTOPSYCHO

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

Save your money on an X-Chamber, and put it into a Palmer's Stabilizer. An X-chamber is just a gimmick. I don't believe they actually do anything. In-fact, I would argue that they can allow CO2 to over-expand, causing you to waste more air.

A Palmer's is a regulator. Nothing is more efficient than controlling the pressure. On a warm day, I get 100 extra shots with a 20 oz tank versus the X-chamber I replaced with my Palmer's. This is on a 98C with a Cyclone & Response Trigger.

View PostPiller, on Oct 29 2008, 04:00 PM, said:

When people talk about huge inconsistency with CO2 it is almost always because they are playing with gear that is radically different in temperature than the environment they are playing in. People will put a freezing cold tank that was just filled on a marker that has been baking in their car and blame CO2 for being inconsistent. Liquid getting into the marker doesn't play a huge role, the amount of liquid getting into the marker stays pretty consistent throughout the day without an expansion chamber.

I 100% agree, however, a Palmer's will almost eliminate this problem.

This post has been edited by M. Deth: 29 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

"Born to bleed, fighting to succeed, built to endure what this world throws at me." - Hatebreed
Special Ops Brigade ID - 161556
Tunka.com - Join over 1600 Denver area players for FREE National Forest games.

#11 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Remotes do act like expansion chambers. It is actually very consistant.
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#12 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I would agree with that. Before expansion chambers existed (and even remote setups as far as I know) it wasn't uncommon to use a 3-4 foot loop of braided hose on an Automag. While its rather unsightly and bulky it did about the same thing as an expansion chamber did.

In fact a lot how expansion chambers work revolves more around surface area rather than actual volume. AirStar Novas has an expansion chamber as part of their design and the expansion chamber was filled with metal ball bearings. It worked amazingly well. Most expansion chambers today have several chambers to increase the surface area and heat exchange. The same can be said for a remote line or hose with its surface area.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users