Special Ops Paintball: Urban Paintball Sniping - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Paintball Sniping In an urban enviroment...can it be done? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Urban Sniping, can it be done? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Close quaters, buildings, and no vegetation?

1. Yes and I've done it before (17 votes [35.42%])

Percentage of vote: 35.42%

2. Yes but it's going to take some effort (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Maybe/Uncertain (7 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

4. No and I've tried before (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No and it's just not practical (8 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mercy

Post icon  Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

View PostSpektre, on Apr 16 2009, 10:15 AM, said:

Awesome, man. I bet facing the other sniper was invigorating! It's also cool to hear you only used around 50 shots. That's a low count by any standard, and means you were able to do some very nice, accurate sniping.

In regard to Eskimo's post, I think it's great that you didn't use a shorter barrel and kept to your native play style. It's good to learn to adapt your style to fit a foreign environment rather than adjust your style.

On a side note, what barrel do you use and how do you like? I'm considering getting a J&J 20" and would like to know what people think about it.

Well, for the past 3 years I've been using a Smartparts 20" Tactical. It's a black one piece with porting all down the sides. The last 2" of the barrel is a mock muzzle break so in reality it shoots like an 18". The first time I had this barrel was on my old 98c. It was amazing how much it quieted my shots. In fact, it was so quiet that at scenario games people couldn't believe I was shooting a tippmann. It's accurate. For a while I went back to using my stock barrel and a few others but got annoyed at how wide my shot pattern was. So I switched back to the Tactical and was amazed at how small my spread got. The true test of it's accuracy came one day when I was at a scenario game in Austin, TX. It was the first time I had used my ghillie effectively and I managed to get through the line of scrimmage and belly crawled my way to the enemy's CP. The OpForces' "general" was standing outside his tent surveying the battle down below. Confident no one had gotten that close he had his arms crossed and his gun wasn't anywhere to be seen. Took my time, lined up my sight, and I managed to get a headshot at about 40-50 yards(some of that credit has to go to marbilzers lol). It was an amazing event and sealed the deal on whether or not I was going to stick with this barrel. For as light as it is, the thing is pretty tough too. As much as I've banged it on rocks while crawling through the weeds, it doesn't have so much as a scratch on it. When I finally got my A5-A2 I didn't hesitate going out and buying another one of these barrels. And I've never regretted it. On a final note, when I originally saw the price tag on the tactical I was kind of thrown off. For $45 I was worried that I was about to get ripped off. Because when I had first started looking for a good sniping barrel I had my heart set on a carbon fiber stiffi. They ran about $100 for the one I wanted. So I thought in my mind that you get what you pay for. But the reviews I had read about the smartparts' barrel were so good that I decided to chance it. Like I said, I've never regretted it.
Jeremiah 29:11 "His promises fulfilled"

#17 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

Awesome. :) I'm getting pumped up reading your post. lol I guess that makes me a serious nerd. I'm all about the General sniping thing, though. :rolleyes: ;) :D A 40-50 yard head shots is Amazing, I don't care who you are. I'm also very intrigued by what you say about the SP barrel. I'm iffy about SP barrels and that one in particular. I like what you say about it, though. What kind of groupings do you get with it (in inches)? And what other barrels have you used?
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#18 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

View PostSpektre, on Apr 26 2009, 09:25 PM, said:

Awesome. :) I'm getting pumped up reading your post. lol I guess that makes me a serious nerd. I'm all about the General sniping thing, though. :wub: :blink: B) A 40-50 yard head shots is Amazing, I don't care who you are. I'm also very intrigued by what you say about the SP barrel. I'm iffy about SP barrels and that one in particular. I like what you say about it, though. What kind of groupings do you get with it (in inches)? And what other barrels have you used?

Yeah, as of now the whole general thing has been the highlight of my paintball "career" to date :laugh:

But about your question. I've never actually measured in inches. I guess one day I probably should lol but until then I do have a standard of measurements for my shots. I prefer to take my shots between 20 -30 yards. That's my "comfort zone". When I go to practice my one-shot I usually use 2 liter coke bottles for targets. On a fair weather day using good paint I miss maybe 1 out of every 16 shots (1:16). On a fair weather day using wal-mart brand paint it's about 1:9. On a very windy day using good paint it's about 1:10 and one a very windy day using basic paint cut's it down to maybe about 1:4.

Now mind you that I'm shooting at a plastic 2 liter coke and I'm taking all my shots in the prone position. If I take it up to 40 yards it would probably be safe to say that you could take off 8 from all those numbers. 1:8, 1:1-2, 1:2, and no chance, respectively. I say no chance because I don't walk my shots when I'm practicing my one-shot. Go up to 50 yards and minus 8 off again. You get the idea.

Now for the record, I believe the type of paint you use affects your accuracy more than the barrel itself. And I believe finding the right paint for the right barrel matters immensely. I told you early that I've used the same barrel (20" Smartparts Tactical) on 2 different markers (a 98C and A5-A2) both of these barrels absolutely love marbilizers. They work good with pretty much every brand of paint I've used (except for monsters....*shudder*....)

What other barrels? Freak Jr., All American, some kind of empire barrel that had a fancy barrel kit, flatlines, and some kind of rifled/spiraling spyder barrel. Most of them were 16". Oh and of course the stock barrels that come on the 98c, a5, ion, mr1, mr2, and this pink spyder gun from walmart. I don't count the brass eagles lol

Well I hope this info helps on your decision. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me. And which ever way you decided to go please tell me about it. Kinda interested in hearing the outcome.

This post has been edited by Mercy of Spades: 26 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

#19 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on my set up once I get to purchasing/assembling it (when I get my first couple pay checks this summer).

I'm dead set on getting the J&J 20" because of how well it will work for my mod project I'm working on, but hearing about your experiences did make me reconsider. In the end, I plan on using the J&J 20 with a python compressor.

You are definitely right about the paint/barrel match being the most important. It's amazing how much of a difference that makes... I love Marbs, though, so I hope the J&J likes them.

I'll be sure to post up once I get my project completed (it's going to be BA, I'm going all out).
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#20 User is offline   JOE MAC 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...l=urban+sniping
Don't flatter yourself...you don't really know.

#21 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

8 months old dude...

#22 User is offline   JOE MAC 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

It was linked for reference as it is applicable to this thread. 8 months does not render that information obsolete.
Don't flatter yourself...you don't really know.

#23 User is offline   weeebeep 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:weeebeep

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

good post. If i may add, (even this late after the fact) for urban environments your gonna want to run an 18 or shorter even for sniping roles, this is because a building (if used efectively) is a great nest. your also gonna wanna go with a larger hopper. the stock 200 would do fine, maybe with the tac cap too to clear a red dot.

Sniping in an urban environment is best done from the middle of a room, behind a desk or other furnature.

as far as camo use BDU's or other military camo turned inside out. the digicamo would work fine for buildings though. ACU's you turn inside out.

#24 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

In some ways, urban paintball sniping makes more sense than woodsball paintball sniping. If distance is the greatest challenge for a paintball sniper, them some of this is mitigated by the shorter distances of urban fields. Snipers also have more access to better vantage points, such as towers, elevated windows, and rooftops. However, an urban sniper is easier to detect, especially after the first shot is fired, so a diversion is frequently necessary.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

i tend to use shorter barrels with an Apex tip.

one thing that was missed for sniping in an urban setting, or any close fighting setting, is using smoke nades/bombs. the fields i play let us use them. shoot, toss, move under cover and confusion....setup...rinse repeat.

they are also great for changing up angles and guys on your team after contact has been made. once the smoke blocks some of the view....get them moving.

#26 User is offline   weeebeep 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:weeebeep

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

another good tactic is to shoot out one window, move to an entire new room (or building if possible) and repeat.

#27 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

View Postweeebeep, on Jan 14 2010, 09:46 PM, said:

Sniping in an urban environment is best done from the middle of a room, behind a desk or other furnature.

I agree, this is good advice. Will keep you in the game way longer than posting up at the doorway or window

#28 User is offline   dylan.735 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Captain.Dylan

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

View PostMercy of Spades, on Jan 18 2010, 10:34 PM, said:

View Postweeebeep, on Jan 14 2010, 09:46 PM, said:

I agree, this is good advice. Will keep you in the game way longer than posting up at the doorway or window

I agree with this but,if you can get a better shot from a window without being compromised id say take it and relocate under cover of smoke (or just move reeaally fast)

I also agree with the short barrel comment.
I use a TM-7 With a lapco 8" bigshot apex barrel.
IMO its the best barrel for urban sniping,accuracy,short barrel and the abbility to shoot round stuff :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users