• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

Title: Splat Magazine Renegade Paintball
Platform: PC
MFG: Global Star Software
System Requirements: Win2k/XP, P3 800MHz (or better), 256 MB RAM, 800MB disk space, 64MB vid card DirectX 9 Compatible
Format: First person/third person shooter

Review:
This PC game is primarily speedball based with a bit of woodsball/scenario stuff tossed in.

The controls are typical of FPS games, mouse to aim/fire and keyboard to control everything else from run to reload and dive.

Once you set up a profile you can then choose 1 of 9 characters to play as. Each character has a little bio but there doesn't appear to be any strengths or weakness attached to any of them. You just select your favorite and play.

Next are the markers. They are generic speedball type guns. No Tippmanns, no Angels, No Ions. There are 10 to choose from (depending on what game mode you choose) with BPS running from 3 up to 12. Accuracy is rated on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the best. They also rate shot distance by the same scale. Depending on game mode you can "customize" the markers. This consists of changing the body/barrel color and swapping out the hoppers. There are no real upgrades to improve accuracy or distance.

Maps. There are about a dozen maps, some speedball, some woodsball, some mixed. Each has it's good and bad points depending on the game type you're playing. There is also a map editor which I haven't used yet.

There are 3game modes and 5 game types plus a field walk. Modes: Career, Skirmish, Arcade. Types: Team Elimination, Canter Flag, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Deathmatch.
Career- Just what it sounds like. You select a character and try to complete the 28 challenges.
Arcade- Fantasy paintball. There are power-ups on the field and you keep playing as long as you keep winning.
Skirmish- Just a quick game mode. You select the game type, the field, number of players per team (1-7), jersey colors.
There is also an online mode, as yet untested by me.

The game itself isn't badly done. The graphics are fairly decent, and game play is nice and smooth. The biggest draw back to the game is the AI and lack of command options.

The AI quite frankly is stupid. Considering it's a team sport and you can't get the team to work together? Something is missing. For example, in the Career mode there is a 3v3 CTF game on a speed ball field. With the exception of Elimination there are unlimited reinsertions. Spawn points tend to be very close to the flag. Once you hit someone you have about 10 seconds before they respawn. That's not really a problem if your team mates are giving you cover fire, which they don't. They tend to wander off and do their own thing usually resulting in a 1v3 at the flag battle.

I could probably deal with a bad AI if I had the ability to shout commands at them. In Counter Strike you can use a few key strokes and have a bot follow you, give cover fire or wait. Not in this game. There are no commands of any kind.

What's my rating on it? 2 out of 5. It's fun but not an addicting game. With a few changes I think it could be a great game. Upgrade the AI, add commands, and allow for more marker types/ makes. If you can find it, pick it up as long as it's in the bargain bin. It's certainly not worth full price.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#2 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

sounds interisting i might give it a try, where do you get it and how much?

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

My grandmother got it for my son at Electronics Boutique. Price? Not sure, but it would be under $20.00 Cdn.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

I wish there were paitnball games with brand name equiptment, and strategy's, sort of like madden, where you could instruct you team off the break. Also, realistic upgrades, and stats for players would make it an awsome game
<!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->Ion - Trinity Rasta Body - Dye Airport in/off and Rail - AKA 2-Liter - Hybrid B!itch Grips - Tadao Raider Board - TechT L6 bolt - Empire Revolver Kit - Hybrid Headloc Feedneck - CP Roller Trigger
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->2004 AKA Viking - Delrin Bolt Pin - Fbm Sling trigger - Eyes - CCM Feedneck - Tadao Board- Sonic ASA/Hybrid Rail<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->Spyder Imagine Select [Homemade Low Pressure] - Drilled ASA - Drilled Valve - Polished Internals - Lightened+Polished Bolt - Lightened+Polished Striker - CCM Feedneck - SP on/off + S.rail - SP AA Barrel - Halfbacked<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#2F4F4F--><span style="color:#2F4F4F"><!--/coloro-->Polished Pre2k PGP - SP Wood Grips<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#5 User is offline   Jaron 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jaron

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

Wait, they rate markers on distance So apparantly this game allows players to cheat chrono rules or something?

#6 User is offline   Slick91 

• No Gun is Safe
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:49th Marauder

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

View PostAlan, on Jan 11 2007, 04:11 PM, said:

I wish there were paitnball games with brand name equiptment, and strategy's, sort of like madden, where you could instruct you team off the break. Also, realistic upgrades, and stats for players would make it an awsome game

There is real equipment including tippmans and angels in Greg Hastings Tournament Paintball MAX'D. You can also give commands to your teammates.

Unfortunately they not only have but also encourage cheating although you don't have to. :)

Sorry forgot to mention it's only out for xbox and ps2.

This post has been edited by Slick91: 11 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

Proud Member & Commander of the 49th Flak Company.

#7 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

Really, I only ever played the first game. Thats cool to hear.
<!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->Ion - Trinity Rasta Body - Dye Airport in/off and Rail - AKA 2-Liter - Hybrid B!itch Grips - Tadao Raider Board - TechT L6 bolt - Empire Revolver Kit - Hybrid Headloc Feedneck - CP Roller Trigger
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->2004 AKA Viking - Delrin Bolt Pin - Fbm Sling trigger - Eyes - CCM Feedneck - Tadao Board- Sonic ASA/Hybrid Rail<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->Spyder Imagine Select [Homemade Low Pressure] - Drilled ASA - Drilled Valve - Polished Internals - Lightened+Polished Bolt - Lightened+Polished Striker - CCM Feedneck - SP on/off + S.rail - SP AA Barrel - Halfbacked<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#2F4F4F--><span style="color:#2F4F4F"><!--/coloro-->Polished Pre2k PGP - SP Wood Grips<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#8 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

I have it for Xbox and its okay but not great.

#9 User is offline   XuXDynastyXuX 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:XuXDynastyXuX

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:06 PM

I wish they made GHTPM work on the 360, its the best paintball game around.

#10 User is offline   ION KING 

• Bow down to the king!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tippmann A-5 player

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

^its coming out eventually, new version with the sppl(I think). I know one has the sppl I am not sure whither it is this one or another one coming out.
current WWII reenactment funds $260/ total gear NONE

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users