• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

US Olympic Trials Tomorrow!!!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

It's that time again. The only time in 4 years that the general public cares about track and field. The US is holding the main trials tomorrow in Eugene, Oregon (Home of US Track & Field) for a 10 day period.
Details:
http://www.eugene08.com/

Man, if I ended up getting tickets I would have been there.

For Track Coverage:
http://track.flocasts.org/

The USA's Marathon Team was already decided and the team for that is (in order of place) Ryan Hall, Dathan Ritzenhein, and Brian Sell.

FYI, Ryan Hall ran an American Record in the half marathon in 2007, Ritzenhein has been down to the Olympics before as a 10k runner. And Brian Sell finally reached his Olympic dream as he's been training with the Brooks team for a while now, he's a real Blue Collar runner and is hardly a professional.

For the 10k, Galen Rupp, a college student at Oregon who took the year off to train for the trials, has a good shot as he's been training controversially under legendary coach Albert Salazar. But personally I don't think he's going to make it to the Olympics because the 10k isn't about endurance or talent so much as racing skill, which I believe Rupp has been lacking in as the youngest member. Sure Salazar had him racing overseas, but I think guys like Torres and Abdirahman will easily outclass and out race Rupp in a more tactical style 10k. If it comes down to that, Rupp will be lagging in the field. Rupp may have hit the A standard, but Abdi and Torres will probably out place him.

For the 5k I'm putting all my money on Goucher... He has to be my favorite US distance runner. I mean... The man raced for half a year on a stress fracture in his foot to get to the Olympics before and... He's just a beast... I seriously hope he makes it to the finals in Beijing.

The 1500 is going to be interesting. Other than Alan Webb I haven't followed a whole lot of the field. Lagat has always raced well, but Webb has the American Record in the mile at 3:46. Yet Webb hasn't been racing too well since then. He's gotten a full head of hair, but other than that it seems like he's lost his speed that very definitively defined him. Should be an interesting race though.

For the sprints, I'm definitely thinking Symmonds in the 800, Warnier in the 400, and Gay inthe 200 and 100. Haven't followed these events too much, but Gay and Warnier have consistently shown to be the best in their fields. Symmonds gave Webb a run for his money and he definitely has the leg speed to pull off the qualifying A standard.

This post has been edited by SubMiler: 26 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

#2 User is offline   ike123 

• Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

I don't care. They took the trials away from my hometown (Sacramento, CA) even though the athletes and everyone all loved it there. Silly olympic people. I'm boycotting coverage now. :)
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.

#3 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

View Postike123, on Jun 26 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

I don't care. They took the trials away from my hometown (Sacramento, CA) even though the athletes and everyone all loved it there. Silly olympic people. I'm boycotting coverage now. :)

Sacramento is hardly the place for the trials. Eugene IS US Track and field. Hayward field has a legacy behind it, I mean Bill Bowerman, Hayward Field, and Prefontaine established US track and field. To have the trials anywhere else is not very becoming for such an event.

#4 User is offline   ike123 

• Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

View PostSubMiler, on Jun 26 2008, 09:39 PM, said:

View Postike123, on Jun 26 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

I don't care. They took the trials away from my hometown (Sacramento, CA) even though the athletes and everyone all loved it there. Silly olympic people. I'm boycotting coverage now. :happy:

Sacramento is hardly the place for the trials. Eugene IS US Track and field. Hayward field has a legacy behind it, I mean Bill Bowerman, Hayward Field, and Prefontaine established US track and field. To have the trials anywhere else is not very becoming for such an event.

Meh, just going by what the athletes and officials said...
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

Sadly i haven't cared about the Olympics in years. They just don't interest me anymore. The olympic commisioner made a statement about how video games have destroyed the olympics. I guess the average competetitor is in their early 20's. However the average viewer of the olympics is in their 40's and average age of officials is 60's. He blamed it all on video games, saying they have taken away kids from caring. I laughed. Personally i stopped caring when they stopped airing good events and just made it all a spectacle. Yeah, let's watch figure skating all 20 hours it on each day.... :sick: :sick: :sick:

I just see no reason to watch anymore. Most of the stuff they show really just bores the heck out of me. Maybe it's cause i am a MMA fan now, if i don't see contact or anything, i just fall asleep. I really can't stand to sit and watch people run around a track repeatedly, or skate, or hell even in nascar and just drive a car. Not fun IMO.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

I agree with you there Legato, but only because I really dislike the Olympic officals and those at USATF because they've done more to alienate and turn the public against the sport while having done very little to further interest. I mean they had a great chance to, but instead the only TV coverage you get is at 1am for 5 minutes or they show sprinters warming up over and over again...

But I guess Track & Field is one of the sports you have to do to really be head over heels for.

TV Schedule:

All times are Eastern; subject to change; check local listings
Date Times Network Live Events
June 28 12:00-1:00 a.m. USA Women's 10k
June 28 8:00-9:00 p.m. NBC -- Primetime Women's 100m Live
June 29 7:00-8:00 p.m. NBC -- Primetime 400m Hurdles, 100m Men
June 30 11:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. USA 800s Live, Men's 5k
July 3 11:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. USA 400s, Women's Steeple, 1500 Round1
July 4 11:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. USA - Womens 5k, Men's 10k, 1500 Semis
July 5 5:00-6:00 p.m. NBC 200 semis, mens steeple
July 6 7:00-9:00 p.m. NBC -- PRIMETIME final day 1500s, 200s, 110 hurdles

I'll be out of town for a little due to a friends wedding, which is a main reason why I couldn't be in Eugene right now :unsure: but I will be updating who made the team and with what times when I get around to it. Not much interest, but you never know right?

Oh, and I found the swimming TV schedule too
Swimming Trials TV

Sport Airdate Time Network

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Sunday, June 29 8:00-9:00 pm ET NBC ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Monday, June 30 8:00-9:00 pm ET USA ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Tuesday, July 1 8:00-9:00 pm ET USA ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Wednesday, July 2 8:00-9:00 pm ET USA ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Thursday, July 3 8:00-9:00 pm ET USA ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Friday, July 4 8:00-9:00 pm ET NBC ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Saturday, July 5 8:00 -9:00 pm ET NBC ---primetime

U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Swimming Sunday, July 6 8:00 -9:00 pm ET NBC ---primetime

This post has been edited by SubMiler: 27 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users