• You cannot reply to this topic

deciding between pistols Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   hollywood11892 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:hollywood11892

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

ok so im trying to decide on what pistol to get my decisions are between the T8 which iv heard very good things about, the tpx which iv heard mix reviews about and the overload which i havnt heard too much about. can you guys give me your opinions
when in doubt empty the hopper.

#2 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

The TPX I have been unimpressed with. My nephew has one and I have had issues getting the proper o-rings. The mags feel cheap. The Tiberius is big and heavy. I've had some lube issues with the bolt, my fault, and weak trigger return which I fixed with a heavier spring. I would recommend the Tib and if buying new see if you can get the first stirke mod. Should be standard now but you never know. Haven't played with the overlord.

Happy Hunting.
Who flung poo?

#3 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

i was faced with the same thing.. but then stepped aside from the tpx and narrowed it to the tac8 and tac 8.1.....

well since i got a tac8 (sm-8) from pepperball.com shipped for $125.... that made my decision...
tac 8 (i know not exactly but does say tiberius on it and looks JUST like the t8)....
*********Feedback**** click on a link below
-------Specops-------------MCB

#4 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

I recommend avoiding the TPX. Every one I've ever seen has issues with chopping paint.

The Tac 8 is solid. The grip is big. The magazines are expensive.

The T8.1 is an updated Tac 8. It is slightly cheaper than the TPX but much better.

The Overlord is just junk. Avoid it. Piss poor efficiency, very big, poor design, terrible 12 gram changing.

If I were you I would either look at getting one of the SA-8's from pepperball.com on sale for $99 plus shipping or something. As long as you don't mind bright blue or orange and the lack of an adjustable relief valve (which really isn't that big of a deal). Or I'd get a T8.1. Updated Tac 8, First Strike ready, and well priced at $199.

#5 User is offline   hollywood11892 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

yea the bright colors throw me off i like hte silver or black better. any suggestion on holsters to get

#6 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

blue doesnt seem that bad.... the orange.. TOO BRIGHT to me...

here are some pics of mine... just got it in...
http://www.98og.net/alternative-weapons/28....html#post32401

#7 User is offline   Stuffy 

• Selling to fund E30.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STUFFY

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

Dont worry about the color of the SA-8(Tac8.) You can remove the orange and blue paint with aircraft remover or oven cleaner. Underneath is the classic Tiberius black anno. :(
I missed my first tac8 after selling it awhile back and I couldn't refuse the 99 dollars for the sa-8, it comes with an extra mag and a bunch of other stuff too. B)
Now I'm debating whether to go with the firststike conversion kit or specop's extended mags, or even the opsgear mp7 shroud/stock. :)

Real men shoot Sheridans.-Marauder_Pilot And the girls arez the devils.-Toki Wartooth

#8 User is offline   hollywood11892 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

how nice does it look when you take off the orange or blue cuz if i can get it to look the same id rather get that

#9 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

I wish i had the cash to grab this one just for the mag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiberius-Tac-8-Tac8-pa...=item45f0bc9e59

#10 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

View Posthollywood11892, on Jan 30 2010, 08:10 AM, said:

how nice does it look when you take off the orange or blue cuz if i can get it to look the same id rather get that

post 658
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zo...ol-99-a-66.html

i actually like the blue... when i was at the pb store... a guy was like... WOW that one looks way better as the store owner was selling a t8

store owner wanted to know if i wanted to trade my longer barrel for his shorter one.. because his t8 had the rail kit added and the barrel is in a ways.. I laughed.. and said i actually like the barrel sticking out like it does...

#11 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

View PostStuffy, on Jan 30 2010, 04:48 AM, said:

Dont worry about the color of the SA-8(Tac8.) You can remove the orange and blue paint with aircraft remover or oven cleaner. Underneath is the classic Tiberius black anno. :P
I missed my first tac8 after selling it awhile back and I couldn't refuse the 99 dollars for the sa-8, it comes with an extra mag and a bunch of other stuff too. B)
Now I'm debating whether to go with the firststike conversion kit or specop's extended mags, or even the opsgear mp7 shroud/stock. :(

The shroud is pure cool! I might be picking one up so I can sling the T-8 over my back, because I really don't find any of the holsters comfortable. SpecOps vests incorporate holsters nicely, but then you're wearing a vest -- meh. The drop-leg made by Tiberius (or the ones modded by SpecOps specifically for T-8s) are your next best option, cuz this pistol doesn't sit like any other paintball pistol, and you won't like the results if you use a "universal drop-leg" (in my experience).

Performance-wise, Tac-8 set the bar really high. The TPX almost made it over the bar.... I haven't shot one yet, but talking to the Tipmann guys at D-Day I got a pretty good explanation of the concept. They took out most of my pet peeves by fixing up the CO2-changing thingy, but I still prefer gas in the magazine like the T-8 has. And if you want accuracy, efficiency, consistency, etc. -- the Tiberius internals are some of the best ones out there.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#12 User is offline   Lachero 

• We Few...
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

i would continue to go along with the trend and say t8 or t8.1 but its up to you. as for holster is personal preferance. keep in mind that the t8 is pretty hefty and you might no want to carry it as a side arm. as for holsters i hated my drop leg holster...it just wasn't comfortable for me. you could try a hip, leg, or if you have a molle vest getting it on the chest.
I like turtles!
Support Cedric Diggory...Edward Stinks!

#13 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

Here's a quick-and-dirty on the pistols readily available on the market today:

Tiberiuses (Tac-8, Tac-8.1, Tac-9, RAP4 Blackbird-which is a rebadged Tac-8)
-They're, essentially, the best-all-around pistols out there, if you have big enough hands.

Younger players, or players with tiny wimpy hands may have a hard time with them. However, it's all up to feel. They're very accurate, very durable, low-maintenance and fairly efficient. However, they are also supremely expensive, and the 8-ball capacity can be a limiting factor. This can be solved by putting on the SpecOps mag extensions, which ramp you up to 17 balls, but they're long, a little clumsy and cost $30 each-tack that onto the cost of the existing mags and you have some expensive pistols. However, if you're serious about pistol play, and not looking for a holster queen, a Tiberius is the way to go.

But, you pretty much have to go big or go home-a proper Tiberius setup, with plenty of mags, quick-changers, holsters for everything, a nice Lapco barrel and so forth can get very expensive, very quick.

TPX
-The TPX is a bit of a conundrum. When they work, they're all sunshine and rainbows. They're very light, very comfortable, shoot great and are reasonably cheap. Not quite STBB pistol cheap, but certainly better then a Tiberius.

However, they're a bit strapped for working well.

The CO2 quick-change had some early problems with leakage and, while this has been fixed on the new pistols and will be fixed for free for current owners, is still a temperamental system. Namely, unless you're Charles Atlas, you can't change CO2 until it's empty, or close to it, meaning you've gotta drop a mag and shoot out your CO2 if you want to change mid-game or whatever. Additionally, the mags have a nasty habit of chopping a bit and, once you break anything in a TPX, the whole thing goes straight to hell in no seconds flat. And, since it's a clamshell, you've gotta pull the whole damn thing apart to clean it.

On the upside, it offers all the performance of a Tiberius for a lot less money. On the downside...you get what you pay for. My advice: Wait a year. Tippmann's been pretty good about listening to customers on the TPX, and I'd be surprised if it's not at least improved this year.

The Good STBB Pistols (Overlord, Zeus, ACP, T68, USP)
-By and large, these are all the same pistol. Mechanically, at least. All are cheap, plentiful, functional but about as attractive as a smashed hamster. Each has their own little quirks-ACPs, for example, have terrible pierce pins. Again, you get what you pay for. On the upside, they're all very low maintenance and have 10-round sprinfeeds, unlike the 8-round feeds on the Tiberiuses and TPX. Honestly, they're all interchangeable-I'm personally partial to the T68, myself.

A note: Most of these have several versions. The newest versions fix some of the problems and generally cost little or nothing extra. The Overlord RX, ACP 2.0 and Zeus G2+ are the newest versions.

The Bad STBB Pistols (Delta .68 and anything not listed there)
-Don't touch with a 10-foot stick. Just don't.

There's also BT's new pistol, who's name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be just another generic STBB.

Anyways, tl;dr: If you have money, get a Tiberius. If you don't, get a decent STBB.

#14 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Feb 7 2010, 05:41 PM, said:

Here's a quick-and-dirty on the pistols readily available on the market today:

Anyways, tl;dr: If you have money, get a Tiberius. If you don't, get a decent STBB.

good info there.. however you forgot about the Tiberius SA-8 @ pepperball.com... better buy up before they are out... at $120shipped... they can be way better solution to owning a t8 clone on a cheaper note... :angry:

#15 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

They won't ship SA-8s to Canada. :P

Don't have $99, anyways, else I'd be all over those like a fat kid on a sundae.

EDIT: And the SA-8 isn't a Tac-8 clone...it's just a Tac-8. Only difference is the paintjob and the logo.

This post has been edited by Marauder_Pilot: 07 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users