Leadership I: The Team Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Gramps 

• Kohai Renga Yamashta
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gramps

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:49 PM

Leadership I: The Team

This article explores the dynamics of personalities in relation to the Woodsball Field, discussing selections of positions.

Got a handle on your teamís personality? What? You think it doesnít matter? Itís everything. Your teamís personalities help determine how certain situations play out.
First things first: What is a personality? Itís how you act, what you say, how you say it and what interests you, as well as how you play. That isnít the end of it though. Each person has two personalities, a ďNormalĒ personality used every day and a ďcrisisĒ or ďFireĒ personality that comes out when threatened. You want to gain control of the Fire personalities.
Fire Personalities tend to be inverted versions of peopleís normal behavior. Someone who acts tough may keep that, get even tougher, or be a complete wimp. Then you may have someone who is quiet off the field become a gung-ho guy who could eat his own guts (and ask for seconds) when on the field.
Watch these personalities. They are your most determinate factor in what to have each member do and what position to have them play.
SPECOPS uses seven positions, Command, Saber, Dagger, Ambush, Broadsword, Hammer and Razorback. Most teams donít have Razorbacks, and you already have a commander (Yourself), so itís up to you to pick what he others play, whether out loud or in your head.
Each position has an associated concept:

Saber Responsive - Adaptable Fighter
Broadsword - Sturdy Relentless Supporter
Dagger- Frontline Fearless Hero
Hammer - Strong Consistent Defender
Ambush- Quiet, Patient Ghost

So the most important job for a new commander with a team is to figure out what he is working with. Match the players to what they fit the best, not what they want. Chances are youíll have six or so out of ten people that think they are or want to be AMB. Obviously, a team of them wonít work without some serious support. Avoid this. Most teams tend to be Sabers mixed with Daggers and Broadswords with an Ambush or Hammer mixed in when someoneís gearset or talents support it.
You canít go right out after assignments. These take time. On certain fields, and at certain times during their careers, players are variant in what fits them best. Watch each one at least three games to get a feel for how they play. Be sure it also is on different fields to see what they do in different situations.
Also consider physical build and height. A large, hulking guy thatís made like a bear isnít going to make a great Ambush or Dagger, but has a better time hunkering behind defenses as a Hammer or Broadsword. Conversely, a little tiny guy isnít going to be able to reach around the cover and only have one spot to come out of, making him easy prey, so he becomes an instant Ambush or Dagger. Especially a Dagger if heís fast.
A great Saber may play more towards Dagger or Broadsword when you watch him for his position one game, but then may suddenly switch to Hammer or Ambush styled play. Good Sabers are hard to find because they are so variant in play styles and tactics. This is exactly what you need to have successful Sabers. Adjustability and nonconformity. Normal people make great Sabers. Note that everyone starts as a Saber until they get their own equipment. You will not have a Dagger or Hammer running around with Field Equipment.
Daggers are a little more delicate. These need to be crazies that love to charge. Fast, agile and light equipment mark these guys, as well as a firey on-field personality. Trash talk is encouraged in daggers, aiding in causing easy prey to act on pride and attacking the Dagger when heís at his best.
Conversely, the quieter fire and regular personality that an Ambush has, the better. Donít pick someone as an Ambush if they brag or are particularly noticeable. Guys with unique equipment or special gear tend to not make good Ambush because they become targets. Remember that accuracy and efficiency max at around a 14Ē barrel. Any longer and you waste gas, and shorter sacrifices accuracy. So go for someone that has natural accuracy and adjustability over impressive equipment. One shot. One good, noticeable shot is all it takes. Or three. No more than that.
Hammers and Broadswords are a little easier, but require someone that has some money. Someone with a fast, low profile gun as well as money to throw around make great Hammers and Broadswords. As well as a humble fire and normal personality. These guys will generally not make the kills, so they canít be glory-seekers or rising stars. They also need to be behind the Command, because they provide the fire and defense you need to get Objectives and goals completed.
Finally, always remember to balance. You canít have a team made up of all one position, nor only a single personality. As soon as another team singles your squad out, youíll have a problem. As versatile as it is, a team of all sabers (like most walk-on groups) will not have any success at all in any situation, except of course in walk-on.
Be cautious. Thatís the best advice, and keep everything open to interpretation. No matter how well planned out things are, you wonít be able to anticipate everything. Neither will your players. Always smile, and be the bigger man. Which means count hits. Always. Make your team hold that up as well. A team with respect will not only earn respect from others and make a name for itself, but will always play better.
Kohai Renga Yamashta
"Sometimes, the apprehension of fear is worse than the fear itself." --Sensei

#2 User is offline   Gramps 

• Kohai Renga Yamashta
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:22 AM

Alright. It's up. BTW, if you all could, tell me what you think of it.
Kohai Renga Yamashta

#3 User is offline   ION Master 

• Formaly known as tippy mann
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:tippy mann

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

Very helpful. I enjoyed reading it and it gave me alot of info.

#4 User is offline   TIPPMANNSOULJA 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Tippmannsoulja

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

What you say is true. I am a normal Sabre, since i dont necesarily like being the first one through the door or the guy that hangs back all the time.

#5 User is offline   Army Ranger 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Army Ranger

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:20 AM

That was very imformational. I think I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to arrange my team now. I'm trying to determine if the commander filling the Broadsword position would be a wise strategy (if the team has too few players or no squadmates that would fit the position)?

#6 User is offline   Squad_Slayer 

• Follow me.....To victory!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ALPHA_1

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:54 AM

Good stuff Gramps. Personality is definately a determining factor in who I put where. My Broadsword is a BIG guy with a humble personality and follows orders without question. Same with my Sniper. He's a pureblooded Irish man who is quiet with his mouth but speaks volumes with the gun. Very patient. Daggers are trash talking, aggressive, and brave. I only have one Sabre, and he has trouble following orders, but is coming along. So truly, the Sabre is probably the hardest position to fill. Thanks for the great post.
user posted image
"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but MIGHTY in God for pulling down strongholds" 2 Corinthians 10:4

#7 User is offline   ToyotaTech5274 

• ~~~The Field Is Ours~~~ Team Kaizen
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ToyotaTech5274

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:52 PM

nice...good work gramps
Capt. Team Kaizen
Josh"Midget"Leasure

The Field Is Ours

Team Kaizen

#8 User is offline   yankeefan03 

• Sabre /// Commander // Sniper
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:War-Lord

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

Nice job man great job.
Team Forum
If you would like to buy a PS2 and 36 great games PM me. Camo Site

#9 User is offline   Gramps 

• Kohai Renga Yamashta
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

Commanders are kind of swiss army knives in my opinion. See, since SpecOps really doesn't give us a true combat class, we're kind of suppose to take a separate one. I think Broadsword would be a pretty good fit for a commander, especially if you don't have one, but don't be too risky.
Kohai Renga Yamashta

#10 User is offline   SniperSlayer 

• Agent
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SniperSlayer

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:24 PM

had to find this sinc ei heard so much about it in part II,

from my own experience i'd like to add that a Commander being skilled and experienced as they shoudl be and very open ended should be able to fit any of these positions should it be nessacery,

a perfect leader is first a perfect follower, so if they somehow get demoted or find themself looking to someone else in a alrge scenario situation they can communicate higher order to his team while activley participateing with his team at a certain mission theme, such as ambush. as they are now a smaller element of a much larger force.

Also, you didn't mention much about the commander si why i'm saying all this but we had to do this really retarded (no offence to speedballers) survey in school for ROTC, it was the "Winning Colors" thing, it has

Brown- Builder
Red- Adventurer
Green- Planner
Blue- Relater

the survey had questions that directly or indirectly conected to each color and you gave it a number 1-4 at the end u add them up and sort out the colors by which you are strongest in and which you are lowest.

it is a very accurate test and if i cna geta hold of it i'll try to post it for team building.
but just liek above it describes the personality traits of each, color or personality trait, people in that are strong leaders have every color, or ahve a near equal report in each and no super strong or super low points, General Powell and several others were listed to ahve even amounts of each trait.

i think every time i took it i came up as being a planner, which is true, i plan a lot, i prepare and think, but in the end i'm lazy, it takes a red adventurer to bring me out and let my true abilities shine, without a red on my team i would be less of a leader..... thus a team made of each color is a better team they cn work together and let one another absorb each others traits, some would think this would be a clash of personalities but it is not, it creates a very tight team.

i'll try to get that test and the other stuff for another thread.

#11 User is offline   Gramps 

• Kohai Renga Yamashta
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:46 AM

Oh yeah, that color test thing. Those are AWESOME to use, but I don't think many paintballers would appreciate them on-field.

The color testing would help the personality thing out amazingly, especially knowing how they all work together, but I'm not a fan of those tests cause they steriotype people out, and you can never really put a limit on what someone will do.
Kohai Renga Yamashta

#12 User is offline   SniperSlayer 

• Agent
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SniperSlayer

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:09 AM

agreed there, it's mor to show where someones at and what they need to work on, but any test i hate ... ACT cuzz i hate putting a limit to what i can do, once as a leader you've taken the test it's not too hard to rank people like that just by knowing them so it can give some base ideas on how you want to set-up a team

#13 User is offline   ToyotaTech5274 

• ~~~The Field Is Ours~~~ Team Kaizen
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ToyotaTech5274

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:35 AM

please pin this
Capt. Team Kaizen
Josh"Midget"Leasure

The Field Is Ours

Team Kaizen

#14 User is offline   Predator88