Special Ops Paintball: The Skills I Would Pass on to Newer Players - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Skills I Would Pass on to Newer Players Here are the ones I value most, what are yours? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Texas Trigger 

• Nothin' but the rain...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

So, after about 6 1/2 years of play with experience in speedball, pump, scenario, and the woods, I've realized what skills I value most...What skills have helped me become the player I am today. Here are a few simple skills that I would pass on to any new player I took under my wing:

Run and gun: Moving and shooting. At the same time. It's hard for an opponent to keep track of someone who is moving very fast and slinging paint their direction at the same time. This has allowed me to disappear and reappear behind my opponents countless times. It's a simple skill that will do wonders for your game. Amazingly, I see very few people do it.

Treewalking/Deadzoning: Lining up objects between you and your opponent. This is one of my favorite things to do. I get a lot of weird looks from folks, especially newer players when I stand out in the open without getting hit. By simply lining up a tree, barrel, or whatever between you and the other team, you can open up lots of shooting lanes, running lanes, and pieces of cover that wouldn't be available to you otherwise. I like to have options, and treewalking gives me options. Granted, sometimes you have to play a bunker tight, but not nearly as often as you think, especially in the woods. This also allows me to, in general, stay on my feet and ready to move. AND, it gives me a vantage point of the field that I wouldn't have crouched behind a bunker.

Using soft cover: Hard cover is almost never discreet, with maybe a tree being the exception. Players will expect people to be behind some barrels rather than laying in some grass...Which would you check first? The grass or the barrels? If you can learn to use soft cover effectively, you will be able to score a great amount of eliminations without them ever seeing it coming.

Look around: Seriously, don't get tunnel vision. Always be looking around. You never know when some crazy SOB is gonna come running around the side to take you out.

Eyes on target: That being said about not getting on tunnel vision, make sure to keep tabs on any enemy players you see. If you lose track of one, they could come back to haunt you and your teamates later.

Sides > Center: Depending on the outlay of the field, it's almost always better to go up a side or run the tape than go straight down the middle. You only have to watch one side as opposed to two, because there's only one direction you can take fire from. Granted, you need people in the center, but I almost always prefer to take a side.

Putting pressure on your opponent: Done in two ways, suppressive fire and movement. Shoot to cover your moves and your teamates' moves. Don't move to simply get closer. Move in such a way that you can get an angle on your opponent and eliminate him.

Reloading: Do it quickly, while shooting if possible. Keep an eye on your opponent while you're doing it, and closely monitor what's in your loader/hopper/mag/stick/whatever so you won't get caught with no paint.

Which way to go (woods and scenario only): Don't head directly towards the shooting, go around and come in from the side or rear, THEN drop the hammer. They'll either run or try to turn and shoot. If you're competent in the least bit, you'll hit them first...Unless there's a lot of them.

Knowing when to shoot: If they're outta range, that's the way it is, don't bother shooting unless you're giving cover fire. Move around to get to a better position then take 'em out. If an opponent is unaware of my presence, I try to get within 50-70 feet before shooting. That distance makes it much more likely that I will hit my target and my balls will break. If I can get any closer, I usually try to go for the barrel tag.

Playing a bunker: I prefer to play loose, but when I have to go balls to the wall and play a bunker tight, here's what I do:
-Head check: Stick your head out and pop it back in very quickly. Any gaze longer than half a second could get you shot. When you know it's safe, then you can post up.
-Tuck in your tidbits: Don't let anything stick out...The ones that always got me were my pod pack on a skinny bunker and my head out the top (I'm 6' 5"), so I trained myself to tuck everything in.
-Be ready to move: Don't sit behind a bunker indian style...What do you think you are, a USMC sniper? Be ready to get up and run (and gun) like a banshee at a moment's notice.
-Don't come out in the same spot: If someone is posted up on you, and you keep popping out in the same spot, they'll just dial their shots in to that spot and, odds are, eventually drill ya. Make it hard for them. Think of it as a game of whack-a-mole. You're the mole.

Posting up: When you're in a gun fight (Or marker fight, whatever.) and your opponent ducks, keep posted up and be ready to drill him when he pops out again. Better yet, move and get an angle on him while he's cowering. When you're posted up, you don't always need to duck when he shoots. Watch the balls and dodge the ones that are close. Make it a quick little dodge, to the side or up and down (If you go up and down, you don't even have to go back behind the bunker!), don't curl up behind your bunker. That only makes you vulnerabe to a run-n-gun.

Hitting people on the run: Aim in front of them and fire as quickly as possible. This one's pretty simple.

Communicate: TALK! If you see a guy moving, don't keep it to yourself. Let your teamates know about it. Trust me, we want to know. If it's not going to jepoardize your position, shout it! Be more descriptive than "There's a guy over there." Something better might sound like: "There's a red player in the crook of the tree next to the barrels."

Strength in numbers: You're not invincible. Don't go "Lone Wolf." You'll die. Keep a few teamates nearby, but don't bunch up.

I'll add more as I think of them...Got things to do right now.

So what skills would you guys pass on to the newer players?

This post has been edited by Texas Trigger: 31 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

I'm here, Benjie, I'm here, I said, clasping his hand on my arm.
Help me Rootie, my legs won't move.
Aw Benjie, it'll be okay Benj, I'll give you mine

USAFA '12.

#2 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

The run and gun Skill is my Most valued skill, and its very Important to be able to accuratly hit your target while Sprinting to another Bunker. I have Practised this for years and im finally starting to see that i can do it Quite effectively with my Pistol.

Another Skill is Confusing your Enemy, keep moveing, change Bunkers, switch sides, just keep him guessing where you are. you need to be light on your Feet, and very fast to do this effectively, but especially in Speedball if you master this Skill you will be very Deadly!

And the Hardest skill to master is Conserveing ammo, yes this takes skill..alot of guys like to Burn Paint, but i like to Use very minimal amounts of ammo, with the same results..it only takes One shot, and if your guns accurate enough, then you should only need a Paintball per player..yeah i know..no ones that good right? you would be surprised :ninja: best way to conserve paint is by useing a Pump or a Pistol.
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

I treewalk all the time. Its especialy great for 1 v 2. One time i walked 30 ft. towards a group of 2 in seprate bunkers by keeping a tree between me and one of them, and using supressive fire on the other one to keep him in his bunker.

#4 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kontract Killa

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

movement has saved me so much in games. i was playing in a game of 2 on 10, i think, and i just kept jumping from bunker to bunker. i ended up bunkering one guy and wating his budy in the bunker beside it before they even knew i hit the first guy. they were focused on the bunker they thought i was at.

i need to learn to run and gun, and to post up in firefights more. i lose so many when i play a bunker.
The Free 19th.

#5 User is offline   doubleshot 

• Yeah I put up with Doug...I'm not sure why
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:doubleshot

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

for the true newbie, I try to get them to be more aggressive...and most of the time bring them with me wherever I go...or send them with other people that I know will take care of them...if they want to try a different style than mine

too often I see new kids hang back and try to lob shots over 100 feet down range and just hide behind bunkers...I try to scoop them up and push them forward so they can get into the action...usually bringing them to a well defended building or bunker so they don't get shot up too early in the day :laugh:

after I get them to move up...I try to teach them about soft cover (as mentioned above)...I have used soft cover extremely effectively and I try to pass that along to the younger players (if they're interested in playing woods) I try to get them to understand how to move when in the woods...slowly so as not to disturb the vegetation...and work as a team to confuse the other team

I generally just try to add minor "tweaks" to things that they are already doing...or add one or two suggestions in a day so they don't get overwhelmed with trying to "do" something instead of just trying to play and have fun...that's my biggest goal for a first time or newer player...have fun...that way they'll come back :heart:

Markers are kind of like Harleys...if you haven't customized it to make it your own...you probably just haven't saved up the $$ yet

#6 User is offline   Oompa Loompa SQUAD 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:WIKIMAN

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

I try to use all of those techniques in the little time that I have played so far. (Except for the load and shoot thing, too much multi-tasking) One of my absolute favorite strategies is, when you are in a one on one situation, shoot at their cover to make them get down, then while you're shooting, move to a different piece of cover. I use this tactic more for running away than anything else. And, doubleshot, that really is a great thing that you do, pushing new players to be more aggressive, I am new and I know that it takes a little encouragement to go on the offensive.

This post has been edited by Oompa Loompa SQUAD: 02 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

Fast as lightning, quick as ninja, silent as shadow, clumsy as a blind clown.

If you're a Christian paintballer, put this in your sig. Which I am!

#7 User is offline   kingkole02 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KingKole02

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

Soft cover works well in the example you provided.
Peoples eye lay on hard cover. I've been know to stay in high grass for several minutes while the opponents unsuspectingly walks into 40-50 ft range. Then unleash, 3-5 hits make contact every time, although one is all you need sometime we play multiple hits, severe kill shots or merely wounded shots.

Always check your fire.

I had my own team mate layout on me while I was in high grass once, he didn't know what player I was until I stood up. I'd snook right pass my own team mates to get the better vantage. Although if I would have called out, they would have known, but so would the enemy.
Black ants, no-see-ems, mosquitoes, nats, flies, and other bugs are all part of the excitement!

You have to learn how to crawl before you can walk. You have to learn how to walk before you can run.
Mostly importantly, you must be willing to do all three in a game of woods-ball.

GeneWize Life Sciences
Independent Affiliate - Building the West Coast of Florida
www.weknowdna.com

#8 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

remember. what they cant see.
it is easyer to fire at an opponent and move to the next bunker while he's down. as long as the sound keeps pounding his head is staying down. this allows you to move to another location and get ready for him to pop up. 20 to 1 says he comes up and opens fire on the bunker you WERE at.

#9 User is offline   Gyrocopter 

• Gyronator
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gyrocopter

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

Suppressing fire: a skill as much as a tactic. Used in conjunction with teamwork, it's dynamite. Keep your friends free to move up as you slap an enemys cover with some rounds. keep their heads. Many paintballers don't know when to suppress, and honestly, my timing is off sometimes, so practice makes perfect.

Stance: It's obviously important to keep a smaller stance when under fire, and too many players are lazy and walk around the field with their heads up high. They often pay the price, I'm sure we've all witnessed. Knowing when to sacrifice speed to keep low or go prone isn't just some videogame strategy.

And about that soft cover thing... so true, but grass is known more as visual cover. Fantastic for stealth but fails in comparison to a bunker when it comes to halting rounds. I find the best comprimise for this is a tree(or two) with some low foliage.
I got a crate of grenades for christmas!!!

#10 User is offline   DALE WOLFE 

• GODZTOASTER
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WOLFEPAC

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

View PostEskimo, on Jun 5 2008, 01:05 PM, said:

remember. what they cant see.
it is easyer to fire at an opponent and move to the next bunker while he's down. as long as the sound keeps pounding his head is staying down. this allows you to move to another location and get ready for him to pop up. 20 to 1 says he comes up and opens fire on the bunker you WERE at.

BINGO bud, I love it and it is true for everyone except people wit ESP.lol.

Keep their cool always. When a noob gets jumpy then they get out. I think it comes with experience to be able to be in a hurry while being calm at the same time. Have you ever had the new guy get big eyed slide in behind the cover your using and he or she is breathing hard acting frantic and you must seem like your moving in slow motion because of way you get stared at. I try to calm them down by giving them a task that way they are concentrating on the task at hand instead of psyching themselves out.

SCARFACE style does not work so do not try it.

You can not outrun the paintballs. Never fails that the 1st timer who is fast thinks "hmm I am really fast so if I run full speed right down the middle to the flag they will not be able to hit me". Then splat splat splat and ha ha ha.

This is in addition to all previous post for I feel they are all 110% correct and the most important but I wanted to bestow a few of my own.

This post has been edited by DALE WOLFE: 05 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

maximum size exceeded

#11 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

Selective Shouting: I can't tell you how many times I can make a plan that should fail instantly work just because I shout something that makes them look for something else, and not look for what really will happen. For example: Shouting, "You, on the right MOVE, all the way up!" Then what really happens is that people on the left move up. It works because they get focused on the right, and don't see the left move up to kill them. This is just simple version, but you can make it much more complex, if you arrange it before hand.
FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#12 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

I have 4 rules that I live by when paintballing.

1. Be aggressive. I notice that players on the defense always lose

2. Be alert. You never know where a person may be hiding

3. Listen to other people. They can help you find and elimate targets

4. MOST IMPORTANT! Don't act like the big shot, and think that you are the best. I cannot say how much I hate it when people are like that. I can't even play with a guy I know because he's like that.

#13 User is offline   kingkole02 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KingKole02

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

View PostGyrocopter, on Jun 5 2008, 01:29 PM, said:

[b]

And about that soft cover thing... so true, but grass is known more as visual cover. Fantastic for stealth but fails in comparison to a bunker when it comes to halting rounds. I find the best comprimise for this is a tree(or two) with some low foliage.

Your entirely correct. Yet were I play, we are in the woods, grass and fields alot. Not many bunkers are made in these fields.

I for one, love high grass and like to crawl, while others don't like to lay in the stuff, I don't mind it too much. Also, when you look at things, where would someone normally hide? Behind a hard object, not open in the grass.

Tactically, I crawl up the soft stuff while the others keep behind the bunkers, allows me to set my sights, when I fire you hear it, but it doesn't matter if you can't directly see it. A-5's are loud, so people generally don't know where its coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I have been shot while in soft cover, people just spray and pray, unluckily for me it hits the hard parts of my mask.
Black ants, no-see-ems, mosquitoes, nats, flies, and other bugs are all part of the excitement!

You have to learn how to crawl before you can walk. You have to learn how to walk before you can run.
Mostly importantly, you must be willing to do all three in a game of woods-ball.

GeneWize Life Sciences
Independent Affiliate - Building the West Coast of Florida
www.weknowdna.com

#14 User is offline   Long Wood 

• Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BOB LONG

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

No matter what you do just keep moving up right left i don't care just keep moving.

#15 User is offline   REBELS_PEACHZ 

• I have ADD, you wouldn't understand....LOOK A SQUIRREL!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PEACHZ

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

Learn how to handle your equipment...I mean don't wave your barrel around at base, KEEP YOUR MASK ON and don't get too trigger happy. I've seen many a guy that burns through the hopper before the enemy is in range. Best thing to do is talk to your experienced players, learn from your mistakes. Keep eyes, ears open and mouth shut (in terms of smack talking).
Official Sabre #75 If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Christian Paintballer
Tippmann Owner's Club #112

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users