• You cannot reply to this topic

I'm a beginner. Just wantint some tips. Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#16 User is offline   schu1tz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

View Postlazyeye263, on Jul 29 2008, 01:31 PM, said:

It has a US Army logo on the side which kinda bothers me, but its cheaper because of that. Price: $130

Hope this helps

p.s. Its your choice which gun you pick, but I'd personally get the Indian Creek promaster.

The logo is just a sticker, you can peel it off. I agree on the Alpha Black, it is a good solid marker for the price. A classic AutoMag would be good for you too. I just got a Mag and never want to shoot my Tippmanns again. I have never used a BT gun, but they seem to be getting more popular, I would check out the their line of markers as well.

This post has been edited by schu1tz: 29 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

#17 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

If it were a choice between the A-5 and the 98C, I would choose the 98. It is cheaper, more compact and lacks the cyclone. The only thing the cyclone does is allow you to shoot faster without having to buy an electric hopper. It is bulky though, and high rate of fire won't be possible anyway unless you get the RT or egrip upgrade.

Do consider the BT-4. I had a chance to check out the BT-16 (discontinued model) and it performed better out of the box than my 98 did.

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 29 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

#18 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

Most places the basic alpha black will run you $99 wich is a pretty good price considering its pretty much a custom 98 internaly. The biggest thing i can suggest is to goto a paintball store and hold a few diffrent markers and see how they feel.

#19 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to the Sport and the Forum.

some tips on markers: Dont buy a Spyder, Dont think Tippmanns are the best, Dont "Customize a Marker just for Looks,and make sure you get one that feels right to you..In my Opinion the Tippmann Line are extremely uncomfortable, grip is to far foward...and they are very heavy and Bulky...I recommend a nice Automag for starters
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

I'd go with a 98 because I went with one for a while and I loved it. I'm also liking the SP1, which DOES run off of co2, it will vent the excess pressure that the co2 makes when you fire it on full auto for a while, but it'll keep up with most guns. Or you can get a MAG!!! which is like the only gun you can't go wrong with, lol. You can upgrade them to make a really awesome gun and they're very durable! They've been in production since I was born (1989 I believe was their first one that didn't have any problems, correct me if I'm wrong) and many players have used them and still use them, I would love one.

#21 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Whoops, double post. ;)

This post has been edited by LoopyDood: 30 July 2008 - 10:57 PM

#22 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

View PostPhobeus, on Jul 29 2008, 09:26 PM, said:

I'm also liking the SP1, which DOES run off of co2, it will vent the excess pressure that the co2 makes when you fire it on full auto for a while, but it'll keep up with most guns.

This can't be true, because CO2 doesn't pressurize higher than normal if you fire it too much, it pressurizes lower than normal. That causes 'shoot down', which is when CO2 does not have enough heat to pressurize up to the marker's needed pressure. CO2's pressure depends on how high the temperature of it is. That's the reason CO2 doesn't work so well in the winter.
Maybe you're just seeing clouds of white 'snow', which means you're suffering shoot down to some extent or your marker's sucking up liquid CO2. (A very bad thing for electros like the SP1.)

This post has been edited by LoopyDood: 29 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

#23 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

i would reccomend starting off with the x7, alpha black, or a5. spyders are notoriously hard to keep working, as they malfunction alot. the 98c was my first marker, and the hardest thing about it was taking it apart and putting it back together for the first time. after that it was a piece of cake.

i will tell you that if you buy a 98 or alpha, you'll immediately want to start upgrading it with either a cyclone, electro hopper, egrip and/or Response trigger. if you're only gonna be playing once a month or so, as it sounds like, the 98c is the way to go. it'll give you something to use and call your own. if you're looking to play every weekend or every other weekend, then something like the X7 or A5 is more suited. you'll have the cyclone already on, you'll have a great blowback marker with easy to maintain parts, amd the ease of upgradability is phenomenal. not only that, but the X7 is light, low profile, and has a lot of options for shrouds stocks, and the like.

it comes down to how much you'll be willing to spend, but remmeber that paintball gear goes ALOT deeper than the marker. your mask, air tank, pod pack, marker, tools, and pods will also be important to your play.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#24 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Response triggers and egrips aren't must have upgrades for Tippmanns. A stock mechanical trigger is perfectly fine for most people. I play just as well with my 98 as I do with my tricked out RT-Pro. I suppose it's natural that the guy who wants to build an eight gun rig would find a stock 98 to be a little slow.

The A-5 is more customizable as far as factory-made cosmetic upgrades go simply because more products are manufactured for them. The 98 is equal to the A-5 in regards to functional upgrades. In fact, a barrel and perhaps a Palmers regulator are the only two items that will dramatically improve their performance.

I really do recommend a BT-4 over the 98 though. I've chronoed a stock BT-16 once and found it to have fps variation equivalent to my 98 equipped with a Palmers Stabilizer. Although, the CO2 on the BT was attached in the vertical position (instead of being screwed into a grip-mounted ASA) so that may have been the reason why.

#25 User is offline   Rattlesnake 

• Klapperschlange
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:{[D4]}The Rattlesnake

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

I would actuly go 98 first...but thats only if your a tinker-er like I am...If you like to know how stuff works, be able to take it apart, clean it, re lube it, throw it back together, and play with it Maj. Payne style, then get the 98, simply because its just that easy to work with...that is...once you figure out that the tailpiece/stock, and the elbow release spring like to prove that they dont need a flying permit to take off...

if you can take down a 98 and put it back together, you can take down anything...

if you would rather have someone else touch your weapon, get an a5...same internals...diferent setup/design

but you should probly go shoot a few at your field...go fire a range of 98's A5s, cockers...what ever else they'll let you gas up, and find out which one feels right to you

#26 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

View PostWoodbender, on Jul 30 2008, 07:35 PM, said:

Response triggers and egrips aren't must have upgrades for Tippmanns. A stock mechanical trigger is perfectly fine for most people. I play just as well with my 98 as I do with my tricked out RT-Pro. I suppose it's natural that the guy who wants to build an eight gun rig would find a stock 98 to be a little slow.....
.....that may have been the reason why.

right you are :( . I even keep a 98c gatlin crank in my toolbox in case i need to borrow or rent a marker at a field if mine breaks.

but---back to topic- most players upgrade their firing performance. its just the natural order of things. usually its barrel, hopper, firing upgrade, internals. thats just what most marker, especially tippmann, owners do. but some dont. a majority do. just goin with the odds. as for me, well, i'm one of the firepower nuts you read about. lol.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#27 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:DAH-VEED

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

well thank you everyone...

#28 User is offline   Arn 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Arn

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

View PostLoopyDood, on Jul 29 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

I'm also liking the SP1, which DOES run off of co2, it will vent the excess pressure that the co2 makes when you fire it on full auto for a while, but it'll keep up with most guns.

This can't be true, because CO2 doesn't pressurize higher than normal if you fire it too much, it pressurizes lower than normal. That causes 'shoot down', which is when CO2 does not have enough heat to pressurize up to the marker's needed pressure. CO2's pressure depends on how high the temperature of it is. That's the reason CO2 doesn't work so well in the winter.
Maybe you're just seeing clouds of white 'snow', which means you're suffering shoot down to some extent or your marker's sucking up liquid CO2. (A very bad thing for electros like the SP1.)

Yes it runs off CO2. Liquid CO2 is not a problem for the SP1 or Vibe. the regulator in the foregrip will prevent the liquid CO2 from getting to the electronics. The solenoid also has been redesigned to be resistant to CO2 so that shouldn't be a problem. CO2 will work fine with the SP1 and Vibe.

I would recomend the Vibe or SP1. My first gun was a 98C and I still love it. But the Vibe and SP1 are great, simple markers. I own a Vibe and love it.

EDIT: Also go check out techpb on youtube. Mike is a little bias towards speedball since that is what he plays, but his advice is spot on. Buy a mask first.

This post has been edited by Arn: 31 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Avatar by http://icontexto.blogspot.com Bruno Maia

#29 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:DAH-VEED

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Well I found a package deal with the 98c and a mask.

#30 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

View PostArn, on Jul 31 2008, 04:31 PM, said:

View PostLoopyDood, on Jul 29 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

Yes it runs off CO2. Liquid CO2 is not a problem for the SP1 or Vibe. the regulator in the foregrip will prevent the liquid CO2 from getting to the electronics. The solenoid also has been redesigned to be resistant to CO2 so that shouldn't be a problem. CO2 will work fine with the SP1 and Vibe.

I would recomend the Vibe or SP1. My first gun was a 98C and I still love it. But the Vibe and SP1 are great, simple markers. I own a Vibe and love it.

EDIT: Also go check out techpb on youtube. Mike is a little bias towards speedball since that is what he plays, but his advice is spot on. Buy a mask first.

I know the Vibe/SP1 will both run off CO2, I was just correcting his statement about being able to 'vent the excess pressure that the co2 makes when you fire it on full auto for a while' which was totally wrong. Even with the regulator, you have to be careful firing at high rates for an extended period of time because liquid CO2 can and will get past the regulator and velocity will drop dramatically.

This post has been edited by LoopyDood: 31 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users