• You cannot reply to this topic

Winterizing Retrothread #18 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Do y'all do anything special to get ready for winter? Prepare for winter play? Pack up til spring?

Probably doesn't apply to you southern latitude players... But chime in anyhow.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#2 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I hate winterizing!!! Oh wait, you mean paintball winterizing :) In my lineo f work you ahve ti winterize houses. Dont have a clue why ( I live in south GA ).

Nope,I prefer to play in the winter, its actually cool enough to wear full gear :)

#3 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

My private field is a winter field, we start this month and play through March... And in Ohio, that means we often have a few games in the snow/ice.

Here are some tricks I have learned over the past 6 years playing in the cold.

First off, yes, you can use Co2... You don't get the same amount of shots out of a tank though, you only get about half. And the tanks will start acting strange as they get cold, so the trick is to have multiple tanks, and put them in a cooler with a heat source. (I use a microwave heating pad to keep food warm that I wrap in a towel at the bottom of my cooler). I put my paint, and extra tanks in this cooler and lug it out to the field. Between games, I switch paint. Even the pods you carry you should put back in the cooler after a game, and pull out warm ones for the next game.

Playing at 290fps in below freezing temps while underboring will cause barrel brakes, so turn down your velocity, I play at about 260 in the cold... I also don't underbore in the cold at all. Don't shoot a burst of shots, as it will cause your marker to start freezing up. I use a remote coil, and I keep my marker, coil and all my gear in the house before we play, and air it up inside so the o-rings expand while they are warm, if you take your remote coil outside and let it get to freezing temps before trying to air it up, it will just leak. Trust me, been there, done that...

You really want the remote coil in the cold as it acts as an expansion chamber.

Next, I only recommend Tippmanns in the cold, spyders are useless as they always leak, and getting them down to "low" fps is almost impossible without cutting their springs, so you will end up just breaking paint if you can get it to work without leaking.

A few things you can do to make your Tippmann even better in the cold, add silicone o-rings, these work great! Also DON'T put a bunch of oil in your marker, as the cold will cause it to get thicker and your marker will start messing up. Polish your internals, so it will work with lower pressure.

Buy cold weather paint, not tournament paint... You want a slightly thicker shell, as the temperature change is really hard on paintballs. The colder they are, the more brittle they become. I love to play with an Apex, but when it is really cold (like 5 degrees F) if you go full ramp, the ramp will just break the paint. So you can add a little ramp but not much in those cold temps.

I put fires at both my camps so guys can warm up between games, which is great fun, as everyone enjoys sitting around the fire telling stories about the previous game!

Playing in the snow is REALLY fun. I have lots of video of snow games on my channel. Great times.

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Crank up the dwell.
Extra batteries.
Winter paint.
Lightly grease electros. Don't put too much on. Dow 33 is ok for cold weather.
Keep kit warm between games.

#5 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

.70+ bore size. That's the key ;)

And HPA is almost essential.

This post has been edited by motherboard1: 24 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

#6 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Step 1. Find a box
Step 2. Put gear in box
Step 3. Drop into closest closet or dark corner
Step 4. Forget about until spring.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#7 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Bah, playing in the cold is SOO much fun! In the snow, even MORE fun.

This post has been edited by FreeEnterprise: 27 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

#8 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thumps Winterization :
Sell Equipment, buy all new crap after extravaganza...
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#9 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

I live on the California coast....we dont have winter here. We play all year long.

#10 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on 15 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

I live on the California coast....we dont have winter here. We play all year long.

Man without a father... :dodgy:
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#11 Guest_SpecialOpsScott_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I personally love winter ball. The two biggest keys for me are winter grade paint(obviously), and high boots to keep out the snow. In terms of clothing, I like to wear snow pants underneath my camo, and layer up everywhere else. Not much to do equipment wise, just make sure that you use compressed air and you're all set!

#12 User is offline   Tom_D 

• Fireteam Gallant Defiance
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tom_D

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

One thing my group has been doing in the winter is brining out a 12X12 canopy, and shrink wraping the sides, with a little space heater inside. paint stays warm, tanks stay warm, somones pants usualy end up crisping a bit due to them getting a little to close to the space heater.

What we would do before that was to just leave a vehicle running, with the heater on full blast with re-circulate. keeps it nice and balmy in there, and like the guy above me said, you just swap out your pods every game, and leave your gun and hopper in the car between games. One guys car can heat up six guys gear.

There are a bunch of tricks to getting co2 to work right, all of them cost $............ save yourself the hasstle and buy an HPA tank....
- Treat your weapon as loaded until you positively identify that it is not, and demonstrate that to others to their satisfaction.
- Keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction at all times, especially when in hand.
- Do not point your weapon at anything you are unwilling to shoot.
- Keep your finger out of the trigger well until ready to shoot.

My Brigade Page
Fireteam Gallant Defiance

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users