Special Ops Paintball: Ion for woodsball? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion for woodsball? for thoose who own one Rate Topic: -----

Poll: good for the woods? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

ion

1. yes (25 votes [80.65%])

Percentage of vote: 80.65%

2. no (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

My dislikes aren't so much about woodsball as they are just the marker in general. It's not a bad marker - it just isn't for me. The two nice things about it are that for its price you get electronics and a consistent valve system. I personally don't really benefit from electronics - for the Ion all they do is allow a faster rate of fire which I don't need. It's built solid enough, but the plastic body and lower tolerances make it seem cheap. One of the things Smart Parts advertises is its ability to be upgraded. Just be aware that upgrades aren't cheap and you usually don't get your money's worth out of them. That's where Smart Parts makes their money. You can get fancier boards, nicer barrels, a metal body, a new trigger etc. but by the time you do that you could have bought a much nicer marker to begin with.

The only other bad thing I can think of is that it's a highly sold and mass produced marker. A lot of people don't care - but I don't want to have the same marker as the 12 year old standing next to me. There's never anything that stands out as particularly unique or good about them.

I know you aren't too worried about disassembly, but seeing how it compares in diassably to another marker might change your mind:
Ion:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzW7xDfRZEg
Automag: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sIls_AZVASU
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#17 User is offline   kingcheese 

• your face
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:cheesepoof

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:45 AM

what i planed on doing after i got an ion is buying a kit for around 200-240$ that has a blackheartboard, a 68ci 4500psi air tank, and vlocity loader. as far as body goes depending on how much it cost, i might gy a metal body

thats all the upgrades i would use, unless for air system upgrades

as far as seeing the price first hand, my friends ion cost him $1200 when he first got it, so i can see your points on the price
offical saber #137
if we cant do it, then it doesnt need to be done

#18 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

Ions are fine when you only spend the $150 that they are worth. For the price of an Ion plus the $200-$260 for a kit you could get an Invert Mini which is FAR nicer, and there's no need for modification.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#19 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

View PostPiller, on Sep 28 2008, 01:00 PM, said:

Ions are fine when you only spend the $150 that they are worth. For the price of an Ion plus the $200-$260 for a kit you could get an Invert Mini which is FAR nicer, and there's no need for modification.

Got than one nailed, my man. Much better first and second markers out there for folks than an Ion, not that they "suck" - there are just better choices out there IMHO. For the price, you won't get better stock, out-of-the box performance than a Mini, and they are not as problematic or difficult to maintain as the typical Ion. But hey, some folks like Hondas, some Toyotas, some Fords, some Chevys, etc.

If you can use it comfortably, fix it reliably, and maintain it capably, any gun will work for you.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#20 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

View Postkingcheese, on Sep 23 2008, 06:58 AM, said:

what i really wanted to no is if the electronics had problems in high humidity, but it also sounds like the gun can take a fair amount of beating, right now i have a tippmann 98

for thoose of you who own a 98 with all stock internals and response trigger know that cleaning them is a pain in the kneck sometimes

I play in Florida - very humid

never had an issue...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users