• You cannot reply to this topic

Dagger/Commander Is it possible Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Shadow Ghost 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Shadow Ghost 13

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

Well..... I made a small little woodsball team and the team is rooting fer me to be Commander, one problem. imma Dagger. although i rarely get out, i think its a bad idea. what do y'all think? :ghillie:

#2 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

That doesn't necessarily make you a bad candidate for commander. What is more important to your team is that you are capable of keeping your cool and making good decisions without vacillation. Executing dagger type moves on the field would likely have to be restrained early on but there is nothing that says you can't take up your old role for the final, decisive action.

#3 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

'Bender is right. Anyone can lead. Your own personal style of play does not have to preclude you from commanding. The key is, can you keep calm and display patience? If so, you can do it. Practice, and pay attention to the big picture.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#4 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

What does your team Organization look like? Are you guys just out there to have fun and like, everybody on their own kinda stuff? Or is it highly organized (like how my team is) where as CO I have to split my time between playing and doing "Commander stuff" as I call it? As a dagger you can play the whole "lead from the front" if that's the type of "Commander" you want to be. And it also totally depends on the needs of the team -- do they need YOU as a Commander, or as a Dagger? If you are really loyal to your team you will make personal sacrifices to ensure success.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#5 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

There's nothing wrong with your playstyle fitting into the description of a dagger. It simply means that you'd be leading from the front and need to keep stock of the risks you take during play to learn when to go for it or when to hang back and let the heavier firepower take to the front.

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#6 User is offline   Shadow Ghost 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

View PostSaifoda2, on Jun 9 2008, 07:41 PM, said:

What does your team Organization look like? Are you guys just out there to have fun and like, everybody on their own kinda stuff? Or is it highly organized (like how my team is) where as CO I have to split my time between playing and doing "Commander stuff" as I call it? As a dagger you can play the whole "lead from the front" if that's the type of "Commander" you want to be. And it also totally depends on the needs of the team -- do they need YOU as a Commander, or as a Dagger? If you are really loyal to your team you will make personal sacrifices to ensure success.

well. my team is not professional but wed do compete in little woodsball tournys. but ur right. i guess whatever they need me at at the moment

#7 User is offline   Voky 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TOP NOTCH

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

Give em what they want, I say! As long as you can think up good strategies that WORK, I would recommend you for a Commander.
Lover of Chick-fil-A #1
PM me for a #
Alabamian #1

#8 User is offline   Shadow Ghost 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

well i am the one that makes the plays

#9 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

View PostShadow Ghost, on Jun 11 2008, 07:24 PM, said:

well i am the one that makes the plays

Two things:
1) If you make the plays, then you can teach others, or command others, to make the plays.

2) Step up. If you know what you're doing, try something new to challenge your skillset.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#10 User is offline   The Spartan 

• awesome
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bbaldey

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

This is encouraging to hear. I myself have been playing with this idea. I generally play as CO when I am not playing totally up front and DL when I am not commanding.
But I have always wanted to do both. My team needs another DL and I am the only option for commander.

My suggestion would be to have a back up person to be CO if you get out. This way the team isn't lost if you accidentally put yourself out there too far.

Official Dagger #9 _ Owner of a Limited Edition Gold Smart Parts Epiphany_ Christian Baller

#11 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

View PostShadow Ghost, on Jun 9 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

Well..... I made a small little woodsball team and the team is rooting fer me to be Commander, one problem. imma Dagger. although i rarely get out, i think its a bad idea. what do y'all think? :laugh:

its not a bad idea. im a commander, yet im still at the front fighting with everyone else
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#12 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

you can pull a commander/dagger as long as it's on the squad level. A squad leader can play it just fine, but at larger games (eg. d-day, Hell's survivors, etc) platoon and company commanders should not play dagger. I know of only one higher up (my unit CO at d-day) who could pull that off, but i swear to god he is a Jedi or something. He is impervious to paintballs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#13 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

• Colonel, Team Slack Attack
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:prophet_subgenius

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

It depends on what your team asks of its commander. Are you expected to make the teams decisions on the field? Are you expected to be the "team Captain" and take care of everything off the field? How does your team play? Are you a charge in and smash the other guy or read and react. How good is your team, can you give direction and trust theteam to carry it through no matter what, or do you need to get in there and counter what the enemy does to you?

A commander can play anywhere as long as he can communicate and control the team. I start at the back because I like the option of seeing and making (usually) small adjustments and manuvreing to expidite the end of the battle.
Paintball is a game. Win or lose you still need to wash your camo. Winners just use less soap.

#14 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:53 AM

Well, I sorta do this when I play walk-on. I lead the flanks, though I myself am not a good shot, I can bring a good walk-on squad stealth-ily up the field and completely pin the enemy team.

I find no ill effects of leading from the front, unless you get taken out. :P

"If you try and and move a rope by pushing it , all you'll have is a mess. To lead, is to lead from the front, by example" -My football coach
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#15 User is offline   Ry and Raft 

• That dude in the Punisher shirt
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xarchxangelx

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

There's nothing wrong with your playstyle fitting into the description of a dagger. It simply means that you'd be leading from the front and need to keep stock of the risks you take during play to learn when to go for it or when to hang back and let the heavier firepower take to the front

Exactly!

I am a Dagger/Commander, and if you're a good enough Dagger and have a small enough team like me, then it works perfect! I mean, who is really going to follow a guy hanging out behind five other guys? I sure as heck wouldn't! Its a confidence builder with your team...if you don't get out and get stuff done when you're up front.
What I tend to do is be the tip of the spear/wedge formation and just yell for my guys to lay cover fire while I flank. It basically makes you a super player...and a bit of a glory hog...again, if you can stay alive!
Task Force 68 | Michigan Wraith Battalion CO

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users