Special Ops Paintball: Becoming A Marine - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Becoming A Marine I have question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MOOSEOFDOOM 

• Prepare your bladder for IMINENT RELEASE!!!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:mooseofdoom

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:48 PM

Okay, I am in my Junior year of high school. I have decided that becoming a Marine is a path I can seriously consider for my future. I have a few questions though, and I won't have the time to go talk to a recruiter any time soon. I know there are at least a few veterans or servicemen on this forum so I figure I can get reliable information here. My biggest question is when would I apply for the NROTC program?

This post has been edited by MOOSEOFDOOM: 14 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

"That's not holy water, it's Peroxide! "

#2 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

ROTC is mostly a way to get into college cheaper and become an officer. I haven't been in the program so I don't know about it, but if you are planning on enlisting, then it's not really needed, though I think it can get you a promotion out of boot camp or something. PM me if you have any other questions, but if they are officer related, there's a good chance I won't know

#3 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

When you are a senior you can do the DEP (delayed entry program). You will do PT with marines and pollie events. Some of those that my brother did was going to a base and doing a simulated shooting thing and mirmar airshow, along with others.

#4 User is offline   Souleater 

• Well, I HAD 300 posts....
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Village Idiot

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

Hmmm-
I hate to hijack this post, but marines is something I've been thinking about for a while myself.

One big question I have, is when is the best age to join? I'm 19+ now, and I don't know whether after a certain age you aren't able to apply for certain MOS's or whatever.

I've also heard some things about them not taking people who have been homeschooled. I did get a GED (although I've heard those don't really count either) and i am now in college.
Posted Image
People who say anything is possible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives and duct tape.
How's that for a contradiction?

#5 User is offline   theking06 

• It's Time to Prey
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:theking06

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

View PostSouleater, on Oct 15 2007, 11:14 AM, said:

Hmmm-
I hate to hijack this post, but marines is something I've been thinking about for a while myself.

One big question I have, is when is the best age to join? I'm 19+ now, and I don't know whether after a certain age you aren't able to apply for certain MOS's or whatever.

I've also heard some things about them not taking people who have been homeschooled. I did get a GED (although I've heard those don't really count either) and i am now in college.

Hey I was in the same boat as you! Right now I'm in the delayed entry program and I'm shipping out Jan 9th.(OORAH!) I was homeschooled since second grade. Did your parents recieve letters of approval from the school giving them permission to homeschool you? If you can get a hold of those and get your mom to make transcripts of the stuff that you did(also, did you guys use HSLDA[HomeSchoolLegalDefense]? It also helps some. Basically, anything that looks official with a seal on it will be great!) then you should be all set. The GED would help too, but then they have to say that you didn't complete Highschool. If you give them just the GED they also need transcripts saying you got up to a tenth grade education. It's a lot simpler if you can just come up with transcripts and the letters from the school. Also, I'm 19 too, theres no time like the present to join. There isn't an age limit for any of the MOS's, just make sure you do good on the ASVAB and you should be fine. How good of physical shape are you in? You want to be near the top of your perfomance when you head to bootcamp. How many pullups, pushups, situps can you do, and how fast can you run a mile and a half? Get back to me on all of this!

SEMPER FI
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

maximum 2 lines of text with images
Max 6 lines of text, no image

#6 User is offline   massbrandon 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpljean

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

Good afternoon gentlemen. If you are looking to go NROTC you will need to do a few things.

1) Talk to your recruiter. I know you said you don't have a lot of time but you really do need to make time to talk to him. He will make time to talk to you and will steer you in the 100% correct direction.
2) Check your grades. If you have some very good grades all through school you will be able to APPLY to Annapolis. The reason I say apply is because they only take the top 5% or so of high school graduates. If you have GOOD grades, work on getting them up and then apply to Annapolis. It won't hurt to apply either way but it will be a lot easier if you have GREAT grades.
3) Figure out what job specialty (MOS) you would like to have. This is a very important thing to consider. If you figure out after being in the Corps for a while that this is not for you you will have something to fall back on as far as a job.

With all of that being said there are a few things that are incorrect in a few of the other guys statements. You do not have to be a Senior to run PT with the Marines. You can talk to your recruiter and ask him to run with the Marines and 99% of the time he will say go for it. Its good to learn some cadences as early as you can (just a little hint for when you get into the fleet). Running PT with the Marines is a good thing you can build some good friendships and find out the interesting jobs.

Take your time and like I said talk to your recruiter. He will help you with all of these questions. If you have any other questions or anything else you can PM me or even give me a call if you want.

Corporal Brandon Jean USMC

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users