Special Ops Paintball: See-Through-Clothing Scanners in Airports - Special Ops Paintball

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

See-Through-Clothing Scanners in Airports I think that's going too far Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ASAP 

• a.k.a. "Smiley"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASAP

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:21 AM

Yahoo News said:

NEW YORK (AFP) - Security scanners which can see through passengers' clothing and reveal details of their body underneath are being installed in 10 US airports, the US Transportation Security Administration said Tuesday.

A random selection of travellers getting ready to board airplanes in Washington, New York's Kennedy, Los Angeles and other key hubs will be shut in the glass booths while a three-dimensional image is made of their body beneath their clothes.

The booths close around the passenger and emit "millimeter waves" that go through cloth to identify metal, plastics, ceramics, chemical materials and explosives, according to the TSA.

While it allows the security screeners -- looking at the images in a separate room -- to clearly see the passenger's sexual organs as well as other details of their bodies, the passenger's face is blurred, TSA said in a statement on its website.

The scan only takes seconds and is to replace the physical pat-downs of people that is currently widespread in airports.

TSA began introducing the body scanners in airports in April, first in the Phoenix, Arizona terminal.

The installation is picking up this month, with machines in place or planned for airports in Washington (Reagan National and Baltimore-Washington International), Dallas, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Miami and Detroit.

But the new machines have provoked worries among passengers and rights activists.

"People have no idea how graphic the images are," Barry Steinhardt, director of the technology and liberty program at the American Civil Liberties Union, told AFP.

The ACLU said in a statement that passengers expecting privacy underneath their clothing "should not be required to display highly personal details of their bodies such as evidence of mastectomies, colostomy appliances, penile implants, catheter tubes and the size of their breasts or genitals as a pre-requisite to boarding a plane."

Besides masking their faces, the TSA says on its website, the images made "will not be printed stored or transmitted."

"Once the transportation security officer has viewed the image and resolved anomalies, the image is erased from the screen permanently. The officer is unable to print, export, store or transmit the image."

Lara Uselding, a TSA spokeswoman, added that passengers are not obliged to accept the new machines.

"The passengers can choose between the body imaging and the pat-down," she told AFP.

TSA foresees 30 of the machines installed across the country by the end of 2008. In Europe, Amsterdam's Schipol airport is already using the scanners.

We're always in the persuit of making things safer, more secure. Car rides, public schools, home security, but I think this is going a tad too far and just silly. Why would you voluntarily step into a machine that allows someone to see your...ya know. Since people have the option of not going through it, and having a pat-down instead, I highly doubt anyone would use it. Which means this concept could very well be a huge waste of money.

I don't know...the words just escape me. What do the rest you think?

And given the nature of this article, please keep it mature.

#2 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Who cares?

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:42 AM

I now know where I want to get a job.

:P

EDIT: On a serious note; I remember seeing these on TV about 3 years ago now... Kinda weird isn't it?
I dunno, I'd rather bee rendered naked than be blown up.

This post has been edited by SabreUK: 12 June 2008 - 03:44 AM

#3 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:53 AM

View PostSabreUK, on Jun 12 2008, 06:42 AM, said:

I dunno, I'd rather bee rendered naked than be blown up.

agreed. People get too fussy over "liberties." This isn't anything bad, and if they wanted a picture of me in the machine, i would happily step forward, just so i can gross them out once the image goes on screen. :P

Overall i think it is a good idea. You don't want a pat down, fine, step into the machine. We gotta make flying safe somehow. The safer the better in my opinion. This is another case where i think the ACLU is just being stupid. But then again, i rarely ever agree with what they have to say.

I am all for safety, even if it means sacrificing some personal freedoms. I don't need another 9/11 cause some twerp felt self conscious and didn't want anyone seeing them. If we aren't going to be allowed to profile people in airports, then everyone will have to be checked. And checked every wya possible. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:25 AM

Sounds kind of like the x-ray machines in Total Recall....

Seems kind of funny that a secure, proud, confident nation that demanded so many changes after 9/11 is afraid to appear "naked" for 60 seconds on a computer screen.

Me? I'd happily walk nude through the entire airport if it meant getting through security faster and ensuring that my flight isn't going to be hijacked.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:32 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Jun 12 2008, 07:25 AM, said:

Me? I'd happily walk nude through the entire airport if it meant getting through security faster and ensuring that my flight isn't going to be hijacked.

agreed. People are too self conscious. I am a fat guy, and i couldn't care less if people saw me neked. It will assuredly make them not want to see me agian, specially once they notice the piercings. ROFL Always worry when i go thru metal detectors that i will set them off, i never have oddly enough
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:34 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Jun 12 2008, 04:25 AM, said:

Seems kind of funny that a secure, proud, confident nation that demanded so many changes after 9/11 is afraid to appear "naked" for 60 seconds on a computer screen.

i agree 100%

i really dont have anything im embarrassed of, so im not to worried.
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#7 User is offline   PhunkyMunky 

• Git'er Done!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gotta change this

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

Eh, I'm sure some panzey will whine that they've been "visually raped" or some such crap, and sue over it. Always seems to be the case. But, then the Total Recall x-ray machine would be ideal. Just so long as it picks up everything and not only metal. I didn't bother to read the artical posted, I'm way too tired and lazy for that. But, if I've gotta walk through that thing to make sure the plane is safe I have no issues with that.

#8 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:38 AM

i personaly dont care. ill never interact with any of those airport personel in a significant way. no one else will see me. if them doing that stops terrorists, then im fine with it. what would you rather have? a slight second of "embarissment", or hundreds of Americans dead from a terrorist attack.

Americans have to realize that if we want to be safe, we have to give up some privacy. again, its a matter of your daughter/son being embarissed for a moment, or them being dead. i think the choice is fairly clear.
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#9 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Goldenhand

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

Airport security in hollywood=funtimes :P

I don't really care, as long as it's not some creepy old guy working the machine lol!

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#10 User is offline   PhunkyMunky 

• Git'er Done!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gotta change this

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:41 AM

LOL No, It's gonna be a 60 year old Krispy Kreme model!

#11 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:09 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Jun 12 2008, 07:25 AM, said:

that made me laugh. I would walk naked if I knew that it would save my plane from blowing up. Im afraid of that stuff, the plane being hijacked and flown into a building.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#12 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:14 AM

Big deal. Its a good deterent in my opinion. It can possibly find hijackers or terrorists. People seem to forget that sometimes we have to give up things to be safe. Would you rather be dead or safe!
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#13 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:14 AM

What the BOINK is my first impression... the bilbos that work at airports do NOT need to be seeing me nekked. knowning them, theyd get a lil more pleasure of it than they should... stupid undereducated... thats a rant for another time.

its bad enough when oumu (means mother in arabic...) the fat security guard is searching me and gets a little too touchy feely (true story), at least then i KNOW she is. if therye in another room, i dont know if its male or female. i also dont know how much time theyre spending scanning certain areas of me. so what if the face is blurred? how about blurring the areas they dont need to see instead? last i checked, no one searches between your boobs during a search. and they might get close to guys' crotches but they dont go grabbing it, now do they? plus, if they are hiding stuff... there, theyll just opt for a search instead of the stupid windows. i cant see it being used, and as a result theyll probably make it mandatory and do away with the searches in the name of saving time or security personal or something... in which case youll find im never setting foot on a plane again. because there has literally never been a time ive flown that i havent been searched.
because you know, danielle the white girl wearing a cross around her neck and flying alone with the transport gaurd named mohammed whos also an incredibly fat dude that NO HABLE ENGLAIS (also true story) because shes so young, and who looks utterly terrified, is SO going to blow up the plane the second mohammed (who could probably sit on her and squish her flat) turns his head. since you know hes not goin to the potty on the plane for fear of getting stuck in there...
not that ive got a problem with fat people, but JESUS BOINKING CHRIST

i hate airports. /rant

This post has been edited by Becc: 12 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

#14 User is offline   The Scout 

• Penny for the gurney
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Scout

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

Becc while I understand where you're coming from, and as weird as this sounds, blurring those private areas would make the machine less effective. If a terrorist knows what part of their body is being scanned and what part is blurred they are going to hide whatever object they have in that blurred area.

Its kind of like after WWII, a lot of German police officers didn't want to mess with anyone that might possibly have been Jewish, for fear of being called a Nazi. So if a "bad guy" wanted less of a chance of being stopped he'd dress Jewish.

I'd be perfectly fine having my body scanned, I don't have anything to be embarassed of.

This post has been edited by The Scout: 12 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

Official Pump Owner #98
"Maybe God keeps us on earth, just like we have beef farms for cows. Then, when we die he eats us... I just freaked myself out. Be right back, I gotta go pray"-Kook

#15 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

yes, it would. thats why im saying its allaround completely useless. via the same means, they could hold something in their mouth, right? i mean. incredibly impracticle but...

and exactly. im all for profiling in airports. its just the truth that every attack on the us via plane in the last few years has been from a middle eastern guy. so why do we AVOID searching them and search other people? all the fancy machined in the world wont stop anythign if we dont search the right people

its not so much being embarassed... as i dont really want some random security gaurds looking at my naked body. call me old fashioned, but the only person who should see that is my doctor.

This post has been edited by Becc: 12 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users