Special Ops Paintball: Is the Broadswordman position passe? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is the Broadswordman position passe? With today's Daggers'/Sabres' firepower Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Is the Broadswordman position passe? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this position redundant and still needed?

1. yes (11 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. no (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Back a few years when mechs was overwhelming on the field we had a guy in the background called a "Broadswordman" who had firepower to support his team. Back then R/T's were popular and electros were either too expensive, not made for your marker (Tippmann) or not common at all. Today firepower is found in all positions. It's not uncommon for a Dagger to have more fire power than a Tippmann wielding Broadswordsman.

Sure the Broadswordsman does carry more paint but extra pods on 2 Sabres would make up that difference. Even in the position subforums Broadswordman seems to be the most inactive (exclude Ref because they were never given their dues.)

Anybody else see this change in today's scenerio lineup?

EDIT: BE polite and NO flaming please.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 10 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

#2 Guest_GroundRunner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:32 AM

I think the postions are all there for a reason and there all needed, no matter what technological advancements.

#3 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

I think its not so much about raw firepower itself & more about how that firepower is used. To me, a Broadsword is a distinctly supporting roll. You're right - everyone on the field can shoot vast amounts of paint these days. But Broadswords do most of their blasting away from the rear, moving less but shooting more while covering the Daggers & Sabres who are farther forward. Its a specialized fire-support role & I think thats enough to keep them from being redundant.

#4 User is offline   Mr. MorningWood 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Friendly

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

ya i agree its not at all about the gun u use but how u use it, thats wat makes u the type of playa that u r. if u are playin as broadsword u will b a little further back, and doin much more suppressing and less manouvering than other playas. thats wat makes a broadsword a broadsword, not how much paint he shoots

#5 User is offline   Major chip Hazard 

• Secretly a Spartan Jedi secret agent
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:diseased rat

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

You need to fix the pole Is it needed and redundant? Dirty Acronym
Anyway, I am a commander, and while commanding I fill n the broadsword's role. That way I can lay cover fire from a safe distance. The broadsword isn't about his gun, its about his geographical psotion. His job is to stand way back and shoot so that the opforce falls back.
This is a signiture. There is nothing special about this signature. Why are you reading it? Its not funny. Just a signature.

Bring out y'ur dead!!!!!

Recruiting for team Face Painters. PM for details

#6 User is offline   Joint Fury Balz 

• JF Plankowner
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

The "positions" are a marketing ploy aimed at bundling "the gear needed" into value meal style packages or lists. Think for yourselves. Play your own game.

#7 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

This is how I consider the positions and why i think a Broadsword is out there. Remember just my take.

Sniper: self explanatory
Dagger: scout, skirmisher, they strike fast and fall back quick
Saber: basic infantry, they make up the bulk of the forces
Broadsword: light machine gun, less mobile (generally) they lay down a lot more paint and perform more in a suppression role
Hammer: heavy machine gunner, complete suppression (slowest player on the field)
Commander: self explanatory
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#8 User is offline   PLAGUE's Short Bus 

• Forum ninja....screw that! Forum PIRATE!!!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE SHORT BUS

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

i still think it's needed. if a dagger has a lot of firepower, he can still get shot....having a fast gun doesn't protect you from paintballs, you still need to have suppression.
The PLAGUE...............Paintball Just Got Sicker!

At the end of the day, it's the guy with the most heart that wins.

#9 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

Pretty much what everyone has said. While the Broadsword position certainly needs firepower, its more in how they use it: i.e., suppressing rather than flanking.
I think alot of woodsballers need to make the step from Slower tippmanns and look at fast "speedball" markers. Eespecially suppression guys. Then they don't need to worry about getting their marker wet, as they won't be running and diving and such. JUst cuz you shoot alot doesn't mean you need a heavy A-5.

#10 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

Well I think it's redundant... that's why my team doesn't have one. I have no idea how to answer your poll, though, because "rendundant and still needed" is ambiguous, lol.

It's cool that SpecOps has this role for teams that want to use it. When you start reconsidering what you need or don't need on the field at once, you're thinking strategically.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#11 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

personally i think its okay to have 1 or 2....especially if the team in question happens to be mostly big guys :) lol. my team for example, we have guys who does deep flanking, ghost flanking, suppression, paint bait, pod monkey, and commanders. I dont call the ghost flankers snipers as they move MUCH faster than usual, and theyre also the ones who can disappear into the woods without using ghillie suits. (i have done that, but most times im a deep flanker/scout) and we operate in 2-player bricks based on the British Army tactics, which is pretty effective when you have alot of SP1s and a bunch of fast markers as well as pumpers. yes we have alot of firepower in our hands, but the thing is, nearly everyone on the team have 6-8 pods on them....so we dont exactly have "daggers" (i only carry 34 tubes of pbs for my nelspot, but i dont call myself a dagger, i just like to run this way, i have been known to carry much more than a pistol lol..) we also have a hammer who only has 10 pods in his backpack, (considered light by most hammer standards) so in reality, we dont do position crap. we do whats needed, where its needed, and everyone is more than capable of cover fire... broadsword, sabre, dagger, hammer, all those are just suggestions. what you call a broadsword on my team, we consider the back guys. :) we have an average weight of 230 pounds...so yes we're all pretty big cept for a few who are much faster and smaller :happy:
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users