Special Ops Paintball: A Local Paintball Store/Lounge/Field - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Local Paintball Store/Lounge/Field A new way to create paintball culture/raise interest? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Any Interest? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

If there was a local place where you could go to play/shop/Hang-out with fellow players, would you?

1. Yes, I wish there was such a place. (20 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. I might check it out (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. I would go to play, nothing else. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Deus_Wolf 

• Resident Lurker, Always Watching Never Present
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Deus_wolf

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

I've been tossing an Idea around my head for a little while, it all started with the reading of John Amodea's Blog(link), the Ex-Editor of PB2X magazine. His blog deals mainly with the issues concerning our sport and his views on various subjects, if you haven't read it I highly recommend that you do. One of the things he touches on are ways store owners can use to get people to want to spend time(and money) at their stores. From this I thought about what paintball players like to do; obviously we like to play, we like to watch others play and we Love to talk shop. If anyone of you have ever been to a skateboard "proshop" you've probably noticed a few guys who just like to hang out and talk with other 'boarders and look at the latest products I was trying to think of a way to incorporate all of this and this is my Brainchild:...

One of the reasons I enjoy playing speedball is that the games are short and there is a good amount of time between games to just "hang-out" and talk about the game, the culture around it or just anything. Most paintball fields aren't the ideal place to "hang-out"; furniture is crude and uncomfortable, food is overpriced and you're paying so much to be there that it really isn't worth it, one indoor field around here has taken that into consideration. They have an indoor field with the largest "proshop" around and they are situated in the middle of Montreal(a big city), there's a 3 man speedball field with all-around netting to one side and a decent lounge area next to it. What I have found is that plenty of players go there just to watch a few games and talk to fellow players. They make better sales because all these guys are hanging around "in" their store talking about the latest gadgets and watching players play with the equipment that they were already thinking of buying. Moreover when people come in just to buy they have plenty of "models" sporting the equipment that they can just point to and go; "yeah the '09 dye pants are pretty nice if you just want to look over there you can see johnny playing with a pair, I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering your questions". So the store boosts sales, the players love the spot 'cause they can just come in at any time to see whats up and talk to there buddies. The environment is great because you feel like you belong, you know people; like the feeling you have when you play on a team... The idea would be that instead of making fields and stores designed to give "service" to clients, you include the players in the process and make them feel welcome. Host events(not necessarily relating to paintball), have a lounge where players can just watch the action, provide lockers so regulars can leave their stuff so they don't have to drag it with them all the time, have some snacks and drinks for sale a decent prices, have a field or range so potential clients can test markers and gear... There is so much more that can be done.

I'm posting this for a few reasons. The first is to see whether other people think the idea is interesting(think about it, you could be spending your daily forum time at an actual field hanging out with players for no cost and watching live games). The second is to give ideas to any current or potential field/store owners. My final reason is that if the response is very positive I'm considering investing some money and becoming a business owner, if I think it is do-able and potentially successful.

Playing THE Game with Honesty, Integrity and Determination since 2000

#2 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hell yeah I would do that. I know that hanging out with paintballers is great, even though I rarely get to do it. If there was an indoor paintball facility less that half an hour for me I'd spend every weekend there, I don't really have anything better to do. While I enjoy playing the most, the fields are about 50 minutes drive from me so I only go like every other weekend at most.

Yeah, having a shop and lounge adjacent to an indoor field would be awesome. Well, I think there is a place about an hour away that has a lounge, I might go check that out.

#3 User is offline   Green Army Men 

• Melting Away The Competition
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

That would be nice, but theres notthing in central WA
THP

Its a Tippmann(It probably has the stock Accuracy of a Grapefruit) -----destoryka

#4 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

I love the idea but I have a flaw here. The whole idea seems great but this kind of already happens at fields and stores all over the place probably because of people who are friends with staff/owners hang out and play everyday. This creates kind of a clique that can turn off new players interest because its very intimidating to walk into a place where everyone knows each other but you. Not only that but if your a first time player you know nothing much about the sport and I'm not sure its just such an inviting environment. In theory it should work however and its a great idea.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

How many people do I need to kill to get that here? Seriously. It'd be great to have some place I want to be other than actually on the field or computer.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   Epic_Fail 

• The Mad King
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*hug*

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

You mean like an S.O. lounge in real life? I've found my new home!
How'd you do that, sexy? - Becc asking me a question.

Aaron: Alcohol sucks balls. / Fen: No, that's what I do. / Me - Fen sucks balls! / Fen - Only yours Epic.

#7 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Now that I WOULD LOVE.

#8 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

I concur. Maybe have a game console or two setup and occasionally have game tournaments (Guitar Hero, Halo, CoD, Killzone etc.) to draw out the non-paintball crowd.

#9 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

I would love a place like that, seeing that my area is a paintball no-mans land.
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#10 User is offline   Sneaky Big Foot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

The reason we are all here is so we can talk paintball why not face to face? Paintball authority in New Jersey has a speed ball field adjacent to the pro shop, the pro shop has a giant window about a foot a way from the field with couches next to it so if you cant play or need a brake you go into the pro shop and watch game, talk and rehydrate or warm up (depending on the time of year) and I enjoy that I would really enjoy this idea!

This post has been edited by Sneaky Big Foot: 15 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

hybrid player speedball+woodsball its sweet
Cna you raed tihs? piatnblal, sarmt prats, tpipmnan, sohoter ION owner #65

#11 User is offline   MedicOni 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I would love a place like this!

#12 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

I would like to see the store part get more involved in selling and trading used gear. Everything on the walls of most stores is new. They should try to feature some more rare equipment and some used stuff. I think of them like a music stores.

The lounge sounds like an interesting idea. I'm naturally anti-social but it would be interesting to see how it turns out. It really should be more personable, its a hobby like any other - people can find something to relate with.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#13 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Yes. :happy:
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#14 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

Theres a field i play at occasionally,its a small field and i know most of the staff well.....they have a TV and a couch and what not( kinda like a lounge i guess)......an i must say it really kinda nice to sit back and relax, watch TV, talk paintball, have a mountain dew......

...if every field/store were like that i would most definitely spend time there...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users