Special Ops Paintball: Drummers Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Drummers Thread Well, guitarists have one!

#16 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

So I've been thinking about buying a new set. I've never really limited myself to one company or anything, I just go for the sound I'm looking for.

And I happened across this. In the Dark Desert Burst finish.

Opinions?
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#17 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

View Postblackcelldrumr15, on Sep 29 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

So I've been thinking about buying a new set. I've never really limited myself to one company or anything, I just go for the sound I'm looking for.

And I happened across this. In the Dark Desert Burst finish.

Opinions?

They are a sweet little set. Tell me, what sound do you want from a kit?
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#18 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'm honestly going for a good all around kit. I've been playing for about 13 or 14 years, so I know the sound that I want.

I want a kit that I can use for different types of gigs. One that I can use for Jazz and Rock, and still be able to use the same set. I think that having a Fusion set up such as this one, with the 10/12/14/16" toms will allow me to do that.

I like a drum to have a sharp attack with a nice warm resonate sound to follow. Now honestly, you can do that with just about any drum. It all depends on the head you use and how you tune the drum. But the drum itself doesn't hurt either.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

View Postblackcelldrumr15, on Sep 29 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

I'm honestly going for a good all around kit. I've been playing for about 13 or 14 years, so I know the sound that I want.

I want a kit that I can use for different types of gigs. One that I can use for Jazz and Rock, and still be able to use the same set. I think that having a Fusion set up such as this one, with the 10/12/14/16" toms will allow me to do that.

I like a drum to have a sharp attack with a nice warm resonate sound to follow. Now honestly, you can do that with just about any drum. It all depends on the head you use and how you tune the drum. But the drum itself doesn't hurt either.

It sounds like you are talking about a Birch kit. Maple doesn't have the attack like birch does, but birch still retains a good amount of resonance, depending on what kind of head you choose. If I were you, I would be looking at a Yamaha or Sonor's high-end birch kits. They are none other. Buy your dream kit, don't settle, or else it will cost you more money.

Oh, believe me, I know just about all there is to know about the properties of drum shell, bearing edges, how hardware affects sound, how the snare bed should be shaped for the sound you are going for, what kind of tuning will go with what type of shells, how the formation of the drum head will affect the the sound of the drum, etc. I've been building block drums, and you need to know just about everything before you start to build.

This post has been edited by SKC: 29 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#20 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

View PostSKC, on Sep 29 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

It sounds like you are talking about a Birch kit. Maple doesn't have the attack like maple does, but birch still retains a good amount of resonance, depending on what kind of head you choose. If I were you, I would be looking at a Yamaha or Sonor's high-end birch kits. They are none other. Buy your dream kit, don't settle, or else it will cost you more money.

Oh, believe me, I know just about all there is to know about the properties of drum shell, bearing edges, how hardware affects sound, how the snare bed should be shaped for the sound you are going for, what kind of tuning will go with what type of shells, how the formation of the drum head will affect the the sound of the drum, etc. I've been building block drums, and you need to know just about everything before you start to build.

I believe us to be the resident SO Drum Experts...lol

You aren't the only one bud. I don't make my own drums, but I know drums inside out. I'm going to PASIC (Percussion Arts Society International Convention) in Indianapolis in November. I'm going to check out a bunch of drumsets there. I'm also Performing during the convention with the Ohio University Percussion Ensemble.
So I'm going to browse all my possibilities, and find what I really want.

I'm in no rush to buy a set right away. I have one that works well, but I am just ready for an upgrade.

This post has been edited by blackcelldrumr15: 29 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

View Postblackcelldrumr15, on Sep 29 2009, 08:57 PM, said:

View PostSKC, on Sep 29 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

It sounds like you are talking about a Birch kit. Maple doesn't have the attack like birch does, but birch still retains a good amount of resonance, depending on what kind of head you choose. If I were you, I would be looking at a Yamaha or Sonor's high-end birch kits. They are none other. Buy your dream kit, don't settle, or else it will cost you more money.

I believe us to be the resident SO Drum Experts...lol

You aren't the only one bud. I don't make my own drums, but I know drums inside out. I'm going to PASIC (Percussion Arts Society International Convention) in Indianapolis in November. I'm going to check out a bunch of drumsets there. I'm also Performing during the convention with the Ohio University Percussion Ensemble.
So I'm going to browse all my possibilities, and find what I really want.

I'm in no rush to buy a set right away. I have one that works well, but I am just ready for an upgrade.

Ooh, thats awesome. I have always wanted to go to PASIC and NAMM... lucky bum! If Francois Filitraux of Unix is there, you REALLY need to check out his stuff, I'm sure you will be in love with absolutely everything he makes. Again, you are lucky. Take many pics for me. :heart:
I proudly endorse:

U.S. Navy AIRR

#22 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

Haha I will man! I'm honestly honored to get to PERFORM at PASIC! Dream come true, but makes me insanely nervous at the same time, cause you're playing to a hall full of drummers!! No presssure!!!

But I'll take some pics and post them up!
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   kage83 

• KaGe
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kage83

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Attached File  09_30_09_1755.jpg (46.07K)
Number of downloads: 1This is my set in my office right now...sadly it's the best place to store it... :ninja:
If you are a Christian paintballer, put this in your sig

#24 User is offline   PBBandido 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Tama Rockstar

12/14/16/18 toms 14 snare
not sure on bass size but i got 2
i love rock and hardcore. Blasting and offbeats are my favorites.
I'd upload pictures but the ps3 won't let me. =(

#25 User is offline   toxic t0ast 

• If I cant dance, I dont want to be apart of your revolution.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:french t0ast

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

My set up :]
I know, its huge :(
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some random bass, snare and cymbals. Not a fan of toms ha.

Check out my band if you want
Myspace.com/thespanx

This post has been edited by toxic t0ast: 23 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Representing the Hate five oh! (850-Ska-core)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thespanx" target="_blank">The Spanx (Our folk/indie band)</a></div>
<div align="center"></div>

#26 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

I've been drumming since I was born (according to my mom) but officially for 13 years and have done just about everything. I've been a concert percussionist, a Jazz and rock set drummer, played bass, snare, and quads in marching band, set in church chorus, and lately mostly just impressing WalMart customers on the Rock Band 2 demo.

I have a very simple 5 piece by Coda, no extras or anything right now. Maybe when I have some room to expand and no neighbors to bother.

I love playing rock and some of the jazz was fun, too. For the most part I just like going randomly crazy in free for all jam sessions with friends.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   Souleater 

• Well, I HAD 300 posts....
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Village Idiot

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

I've been playing for about 5 years now. Got a late start @ 16, but maybe that's a good thing, to a point. My Uncle, who is a professional musician (we run billing for his company) got me started, I had about 2 years of lessons, but I live in a dead area, so I'm mostly self taught.

My setup:
Tama Swingstar
22x18/ 12x9/ 13x10/ 14x14/ 16/16

Tama Hardware
DW 5000 DP

Zildjian A-Customs
14" hats/ 10"/ 16"/ 18"

Sabian AAMetal-X 20" ride

Black Panther 13x6"
DDrum 13x7"

Evans heads.

I have a question for the drum gurus here-

Is it just me, or does Tama seem to have a thing with Evans' heads? The first time I replaced my heads, I got a set of Remo (don't remember exactly what type).
When I tried them on, they wouldn't fit my drums! They were either to tight, or in the case of the base drum, so big I couldn't get the hoop over the head! :P
I know I got the right sizes, because the heads were close in size to the previous heads, and when I went back to the drum shop, and was like "?? :P ??" the guy recommended Evans heads. Sure enough, they fit perfectly.
I thought I had just got a bum set of heads, but every single Remo head I have tried to use has not fit, but Evans work perfectly.... Even the Black Panther snare I just got had the same problem. The only drum Remo heads work on is the Ddrum snare.
Weird...
Posted Image
People who say anything is possible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives and duct tape.
How's that for a contradiction?

#28 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

Great sets, guys!

Souleater - I'm afraid I've had bad luck with Remo recently as well. Their QC has taken a turn for the worst, it seems... The best thing you could do is get a hair drier to expand and seat the heads properly onto the bearing edge. Don't worry about ruining the Mylar, since it will take MUCH more heat to start to warp and melt it.

Toxic Toast - What kid of cymbals are you using? That Riveted ride looks interesting!

On another note, It's good to visit this place again... I Bought another drum set.

It's a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau in 'Red Pearl Natural' with the following sizes:
16x22 Bass
16x16 and 14x14 Floor Toms
9x12 and 8x10 Rack toms

A 5x14 Ludwig '70's Acrolite snare and a 5x12 Pearl Qpopper aux. snare.

All Paiste cymbals in the following models:
24" Giant Beat Ride
22" Traditionals Med. Light Swish
22" Traditionals Light Ride
20" Traditionals Med. Light Ride
18" Dark Energy Crash
17" Twenty Thin Crash
16" Dark Energy Crash
14" Dark Energy top Hat over Traditionals Bottom
10" Twenty Splash

Here are the pics: :P

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And a backwards one for you righties. :laugh:

Posted Image
I proudly endorse:

U.S. Navy AIRR

#29 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

The finish on those drums is absolutely gorgeous.....
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

View Postblackcelldrumr15, on Mar 26 2010, 04:30 PM, said:

The finish on those drums is absolutely gorgeous.....

You've got to see it in person if you haven't already... The pictures do not do the set justice.

And where are those pictures from PASIC, my man?! :laugh:

This post has been edited by SKC: 26 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

I proudly endorse:

U.S. Navy AIRR

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users