I got a Broadsword Vest. . not a sharp pointy thing

#1 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ronin055

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hey guys, well Iíve upgraded !!

I had a RAP4 vest, so I feel qualified to make a comparison here.

First off let me say I got the RAP4 vest for Christmas 05. And it served its purpose very well. I got the "deluxe" package that year with the hydration bladder, the bottle bag and the single point sling mount and goggle strap. The RAP4 vest is a paintball take on the Omega vest from BlackHawk. That is a very functional combat vest if ever there were one. Coolio eh!

Well this year, I got upgraded to HPA and acquired a Bomber 114ci 4500psi tank. SHEESH that thing is a monster. I think I saw my RAP4 vest cringe when it approached. And to say the least, the bomber tank barely fit in the bottle pouch.

OK well on Fathers day this year, I got a SPECOPS Broadsword vest ordered for me. It was on sale and hey, what the heck right.

Well it just came in and I love it. I got the one in Multi-Cam so it kinda goes with what ever Iím wearing and basically what ever environment Iím playing in. I switch between ACU, MARPAT, 6 color Desert and NAT-GEAR camos.

Ok the vest came in XL and I only had to let the sides out a bit for it to work just fine.

I was pleasantly surprised at how the "interlock" system works. I could never get a clear answer just as to what it was. Ok I knew it was Velcro, but how did it work, what made it special, how did it come apart and how did it lock down. Where was it sewn and where it was loose? Well after playing with it, I have to say that I like it. Itís a good design and I will endeavor to post pictures. Iím at work at the moment, so sans digital camera, I wont be taking nor posting pics this afternoon.

Ok there are only two interlock panels on the vest and they are on the belly area. The upper right (if your wearing it) pocket is sewn in place and thatís fine. This is a square pouch that zippers on three sides and hinges on the bottom. Inside is elastic panel so when you open the pouch all the way, you could have. . say a hand chrono in the elastic and it wouldnít drop in the dirt. On the outside there is a fold over panel that is lined with clear plastic for ID or what ever. Additionally it is secured with a small bit of Velcro to hold it closed.

On the upper left side of the chest, is a section of Three Molly straps to secure what ever you feel the need to secure. IN my case it will be a Radio pouch. Now the Vest came with a Radio pouch, but. . well itís kinda tiny. And while one of the smaller FRS Radios may fit in it just fine. . . maybe, it wonít fit my Motorola 7400. Which is a FRS GMRS radio but more in an adult size and not so small. So I will have to substitute the radio pouch for another. But thatís ok, because SPECOPS made it molly so I can put what ever I want there without having to MODIFY the vest.

In all fairness, the RAP4 vest was the same way, but without the Molly straps. So I had to use a seam ripper and remove the tiny little radio pouch, modify it, sew on Molly Straps, and convert the radio holster to a Molly config. LoL, but at least now I have a Snap setting tool.

Onto the Back of the vest.

On the back, rather in the back is a nice ventilated hydration pouch. Itís nice and snug looking and should hold my BlackHawk Hydrastorm 100oz bag just fine. I havenít tried it yet, but it looks good to go. And on a RAP4 note, the hydration pouch is about the same size as the vest back. That is to say you could put two hydration bags in there side by side when youíre my size. As a result, the bladder begins to lie at the bottom sideways after youíve used half its capacity. I donít think I will have that problem with the Spec Ops vest.

Additionally on the inside was something I have to admit I missed all together. In the pictures you see what looks like a kidney belt. I thought that this was used to tighten up the inside of the back. Well No. Actually itís a belt. Itís all elastic and Velcro and it attaches at either end of your Pod Pack in side the back. You wrap it around your waist and snug as needed . . . and BANGO youíve got a snug fitting pod pack that isnít relying solely on the vest structure and shoulders for support. Itís as tight or as loose as you want it and it is a genius step towards comfort and quality.

The Bottle bag, that is to say the Air Tank holder on the back of the vest is sewn on horizontally. However it is an interesting design. Open at both ends utilizing duel Velcro straps to secure the bottle either way you would like. Now while this is cool for my HPA bottle, I have a small issue here. As I just came into the HPA scene, I only have one bottle. Granted itís the never ending gobstopper of HPA bottles but still I only have one. Thus I have 5 CO2 bottles and one HPA. Iím hesitant to put the CO2 in a horizontal position. Granted I run a Remote, and an Expansion chamber. But still, I donít like the idea of running liquid CO2 down to my marker. I donít know though as I havenít tried it. It could be fine. However I would love the option of putting my bottle either way. But if you want options, lots of options, you spring for the black cell vest. But for the cost of JUST the black cell vest, I have a fully loaded vest. So, I canít complain really.

The Bottle bag and the Pod holders are sewn on the vest. You cannot remove, modify or rearrange them in any way. And really, thatís ok. If you want options, buy Black Cell.

The pod holders are nice. The mouth has a stiffening insert so they do not collapse when opened. And the configuration is 6+2. That is to say 6 complete tube like bags with Velcro closures and two Elastic grippers to hold onto your pods. So if youíre brave you can hold 8 pods on your back. At 140 in each pod, and another 220 in your hopper thatís 1340 rounds of paint you walk onto the field with. Holy Crap!!

Yea My RAP4 vest held 4 pods at 140 + the 220 in my Marker I went out with a whole 780 rounds. Geeze. . . yea ok.

Now here are my only concerns so far with the vest.

#1 it rides up in the front a bit. Ok in all fairness, a 100oz bladder filled, a 114cu in tank, and 6 pods of paint will tend to tug a bit at your vest. So far Iíve only put the Bomber in it, and it pulled the front up a touch. But Iíve got a gut, and when I attach my pistol belt to the vest it should be held down a bit better. Should.

#2, drag handle. Ok that is the little loop that most tactical vests have at the top behind your neck. In all reality youíre not going to grab onto this with anything short of a winch on a jeep to drag my 270lbs of self off the field. And heaven help me if in a paintball situation I suddenly become incapacitated and need to be "drug" anywhere. BUT, I like the handle for moving my vest around. Especially when loaded. Its just easier to scruff the thing like a puppy and tote it about than it is to try to find a convenient place to grip and tug. The handle works as it is balanced and thusly convenient and efficient.

#3 and this is totally personal, and not a complaint. I would like Molly straps on the back side of the Right shoulder. I realize this could have been done for a few $$ extra, and I didnít elect to have that done at the time. ON the RAP4 vest I could place a second radio pouch on the Velcro area for the name tag. The Velcro was in essence Molly Straps. This would be something cool for the SpecOps vests. Just an idea not a complaint really.

PS for a size comparison take a look at my Brigade page. Iím the guy with the mask on top of my head holding the tripod with the brown marker on a single point. Iím heavy, Iím big, Iím not obese. I say this so you can compare. Also Iím wearing my RAP4 in the pic. Soon I will have a pic of me in my Super cool new Broadsword vest. Oh yea baby!
Keven Cecil

Reno Pursuit Gamers Check out our Site for Northern Nevada paintball Games.

"Gun... Sword, we all die the same." Toshiro Mifune in Red Sun with Charles Bronson.

#2 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Nice review, but one thing:

#1 it rides up in the front a bit. Ok in all fairness, a 100oz bladder filled, a 114cu in tank, and 6 pods of paint will tend to tug a bit at your vest. So far Iíve only put the Bomber in it, and it pulled the front up a touch. But Iíve got a gut, and when I attach my pistol belt to the vest it should be held down a bit better. Should.

Doesn't the Broadsword have belt keepers (or whatever) to keep it from riding up?

After reading all the reviews I think I am going to get either a bs vest or a custom.
Thnx for a good review.

#3 User is offline   Vrysius 

• Fire breathing dragon?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Vrysius

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Pics please! I have never seen the broadsword in multicam other that the store pics. Sounds good but I'm not sure how you think that multicam matches with ACU. I also think that conflicting camo patterns make you stand out even more.

#4 User is offline   little_ben 

• Cowards die many times before their death
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:little_ben

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:53 PM

View Postshadow_772, on Jun 28 2007, 02:29 PM, said:

Nice review, but one thing:

Doesn't the Broadsword have belt keepers (or whatever) to keep it from riding up?

After reading all the reviews I think I am going to get either a bs vest or a custom.
Thnx for a good review.

i have one and yes it does have belt keepers, but i dont use them.

#5 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

Yes it has belt keepers. Infact I think I said something about my gut keeping my belt in place, LoL.

Im glad there were some replies to my post. I was starting to develop a complex.

I should have pics posted tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I gotta take em. But all should be well.

Anything in particular you guys want pics of?
Keven Cecil

"Gun... Sword, we all die the same." Toshiro Mifune in Red Sun with Charles Bronson.

#6 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

How tall , big are you
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#7 User is offline   rambo16 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rambo691

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

Cool.
I have one and its pretty good.

The only problem that I have found with it is it's bulky. It easily gets in the way for me.

#8 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

ok, Im 6'1" and I weigh in at about 265-270lbs. Im not FAT but im a bit heavy really.

Below you will find comparison pictures of the two vests and where their gear is located and how its arranged.

The pics of the camo are shot indoors, and with a flash. So the MultiCam is a bit Washed out. But in all fairness, so is what ever its compared to.

If there is more you are interested in let me know. I will endevor to take some pics of the vest outside in the natural light.

Whoops, I forgot the woodland comparison pic.

Attached File(s)

Keven Cecil

#9 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

Here is the out doors/ natural light picture.

I have only one concern, and Im sure that its going to go away when I wash the vest. You may notice that the MultiCam reflects a bit of light. Its got a bit of a shine to it. On the RAP4 vest in the pics, the fabric is absorbing the light more and the MultiCam fabric is a bit shiny. thats why there are two pics here. One is directly opposite the lightsource. and the other is to the side. Thus one has more shine washing out the MultiCam pattern and the other doesnt. Anyway, see what you think. And Ill keep you posted after Ive taken it out, drug it through the dirt, and played a few games and washed it. I bet the shine comes right off. :dodgy:

Attached File(s)

Keven Cecil

#10 User is offline   *Invincible* 

• I AM INVINCIBLE!!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:*Invinsible*

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

looks cool. I've had a broadsword vest for two years and i love mine. :)

This post has been edited by *Invincible*: 05 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

#11 User is offline   paintball7410 

• headshot
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipingmadcow

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

good review. I have two broadsword vests, 07 elite camo and 06 olive drab. i love them both, on my 07' vest my pods are removable though which is cool for shorter games and the elastic band is a life saver. so many options that i could spend hours talking about.

#12 User is offline   NAM 

• future property of the USMC
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:NAM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

i love my broadswoard vest. mine is olive drab and it does tend to get a bit bulky when fully loaded. i compared it to my U.S. millitary vest and the broadswoard is better quality. That really impressed me. i tried it and know i couldn't live with out it. I love the capacity. i play medum and heavy gun and it is perfect for my needs.
"Future property of the U.S.M.C.''
"92% of teens would drop dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If your one of the 8% who would be laughing their butt off, put this in your sig.''
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
98% of teenagers have tried pot. If your the 2% who havent, put this in your sig.

#13 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:revortay

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Thanks im probably going to get one soon Thanks for the info

Tippman owners group #35

#14 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:31 AM

No problem.

Now that I got my custom mag pouches on it, and Ive put all the molle on it that I want, I'll have to take some new pics so you guys can see what else you could do with this vest.

Ive also got my bomber 114ci tank on the back. The only time I have trouble with a tank like this is when Im trying to navigate stairwells and such or go through doorways. Then you can have some trouble.

Anyway, after having played with this vest for over three months, I still love it.

I carry the following with this vest on.

Motorolla Radio
Tac8
2 spare Tac8 mags
100 oz water bladder
6 140 round pods (usually 4 but this last game I went for the whole 6)
battle swab
tac light
rag
114 ci 4500 psi bomber tank w remote
spare hand chrono

ofcourse my loadout includes my marker and my mask as well.

But with this vest, it feels like nada, nothing, and zippo. Well not like running naked, but its nearly effortless.
Keven Cecil

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users